Page 1 of 26
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why are Americans so Patriotic?

So I recently made a post asking how patriotic the average american was (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...erage-American), I didn't respond in that thread because I didn't feel that I had anything to add but after reading through all of the responses, I realized I should have expanded the question when I originally posted to ask why Americans are so Patriotic. I didn't want to edit the original post or add a reply with the question as it may have been overlooked.

So regardless of an Americans definition of Patriotism, my question now is why? I can see why you would be proud of your country and glad to be a citizen, but I saw a story that I cant wrap my head around, which revolves around the American Flag:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ican-flag.html

It just seems to me that some of these responses were a bit drastic. 'Shame on you, Kaley. You lost a fan.' Really?? That person will no longer be her fan over an image of 2 dogs sitting on the flag on the ground? I understand that the American flag stands for a lot to its citizens, but at the end of the day it is just an inanimate object that can be made by anyone, its a flag.

How does one become Patriotic? It seems to me that people are taught to be Patriotic from a very young age in schools, which seems odd as its done when people are young and impressionable, they don't seem to get much choice in the matter because they don't have time to form their own opinions.

I don't want to offend anyone with this thread, I just want to understand American culture more because a lot of it seems very alien to me, having not been raised this way myself. If I have gotten anything wrong, please feel free to correct me, as stated already, I mean no offence.

Because it's hammered into our skulls from a very, very young age.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's easy to be a patriot when all you are required to do is say USA! USA!, stand for the pledge, and blame others from your problems. If patriotism had a higher bar, no one really would be outside of maybe the military service

Why are these girls wearing the Iceland flag on their faces? If you can answer this, you have the answer to your question.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'm not the least patriotic.
    If war ever came here, I'd be outta here right fucking quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Why are these girls wearing the Iceland flag on their faces? If you can answer this, you have the answer to your question.
    I assume for some kind of sporting event. That seems to be the only time Europeans get patriotic.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Cheering on the Icelandic team at a football game?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Cheering on the Icelandic team at a football game?
    considering that it is Europe, my money is on soccer. They don't play as much football over there.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    considering that it is Europe, my money is on soccer. They don't play as much football over there.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football

Football is what soccer is called across the globe. American football is uniquely American.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

What country is this?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football

Football is what soccer is called across the globe. American football is uniquely American.
    The brits first called it soccer then changed to football later on. Its soccer, fucking deal with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    For the same reason that latins get pissed if i talk shit about their 3rd world country even though they left it becuase they knew it was bad

What country is this?
    Netherlands. Orange is their favorite color.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I assume for some kind of sporting event. That seems to be the only time Europeans get patriotic.
    I wouldn't really say so. Plenty of Europeans are patriotic and love their countries. The difference is that they don't really feel the need to bring this up unless in special circumstances, like a sporting event. Americans, on the other hand, seem somewhat obsessed with it all, to the point of being patriotic on a daily basis.

Now, to try and answer OP's question. Here's just a thought. Patriotism to the degree that is found in America might actually be the natural state for a country (minus, perhaps, the rampant sensationalism that also brings the patriotism into focus). The reason Europeans aren't that patriotic anymore is the fact that patriotism, or rather its extreme form nationalism, ravaged through the place some 70 years ago. We learned a lesson.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2016-10-25 at 01:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Theres a difference between showing support for your countries team at a sporting event and bashing someone on twitter for putting a flag on the ground...

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Its soccer, fucking deal with it.
    Yeah mate, the rest of the world will rename football because 'Murica has invented a new sport and wants to use the name. How about no, we'll just call yours American Football instead.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Yeah mate, the rest of the world will rename football because 'Murica has invented a new sport and wants to use the name. How about no, we'll just call yours American Football instead.
    Sorry but the inventors of the sport called it soccer.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....e-word-soccer/

Again deal with it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because most yanks love to support war, atrocities such as mass genocide for natural resources such as oil, gas, diamonds etc while blaming others for their imperialism of playing world police

10+ Year Old Account
    The U.S. is a massive country with over 300 million people spread out across it. Anytime I see comments about "Why are Americans like this?" or "Why do Americans do this?" I just sigh. Ignorance.

Some Americans are patriotic. Some Americans aren't. Some Americans define patriotism one way. Some Americans define it another way. There are more intelligent ways to come at the question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Finding it amusing peoples attempts at debunking the argument consist mainly of linking pictures of people from the World Cup where showing you support your nation is kind of the whole point.

I think what the OP is stating, is that in every other country, we don't do the pledge of allegiance, have national flags hanging outside everywhere, bumper stickers with "America and God are the Greatest" and such. It simply does not happen anywhere else outside of the USA, or at least not to the same extent. Whilst many citizens are patriotic and proud of their culture, it isn't so overt and bashed upon if you try to point out a flaw.
    I should have just phrased it like that, if only I had thought of it lol. But that is pretty much it, America seems to have a very "in your face" style of patriotism, whereas other countries are more reserved about it all.