Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Who?

I looked him up...

Yeah...another Evangelical loon. Nothing of value was lost. If anything, his demise is about 67 years too late.
    Honestly the only way I knew of him was because of the bible reloaded guys hugo and jake.

#boycottchina

92 years of age...hmf, the gods apparently kept him around this long for laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    He was everything stereotypically bad about Christians - anti-Catholic
    To this day my brain has trouble processing the fact that some Americans seem to think Catholics are not Christians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    To this day my brain has trouble processing the fact that some Americans seem to think Catholics are not Christians.
    Mostly because the word "Christian" has become synonymous with Protestant. Catholics are almost always referred to as exactly that - Catholics, even though their core doctrine is rooted in the early Christian church. Catholics share the core doctrine of the death and resurrection of Jesus as well as the same holy text (Bible) as any other Protestant church, but there are a LOT of other differences between Catholics and Protestants. Since most Protestant churches try to adhere mostly to what the early Christian movement was in its early days, they carry the name "Christian" instead of the Catholic church.

I remember some of the heated arguments I would get into with someone that taught the Baptist faith. I told him if I ever went back to my Catholic church I would be obliged to inform him that if it weren't for "our" religion, and the willingness to anything and everything to retain power throughout the centuries, he wouldn't have a religion.

He threw back my own words at my face that I sometimes say here: "We learn from past mistakes...hence Baptist!"

*grumble*

I kinda miss that s.o.b.

RIP.

Just remember guys, without Chick Tracks, we wouldn't have TBR reading Chick Tracks.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Mostly because the word "Christian" has become synonymous with Protestant. Catholics are almost always referred to as exactly that - Catholics, even though their core doctrine is rooted in the early Christian church. Catholics share the core doctrine of the death and resurrection of Jesus as well as the same holy text (Bible) as any other Protestant church, but there are a LOT of other differences between Catholics and Protestants. Since most Protestant churches try to adhere mostly to what the early Christian movement was in its early days, they carry the name "Christian" instead of the Catholic church.
    Which is really bizarre. Protestant and Catholics are just different denominations. Catholicism being larger and a lot older makes the distinction strange. Catholicism is the original church, Protestantism is a relatively recent breakaway schism.

I think what you're saying about the Protestant churches and early Christianity more accurately applies to American evangelist, revivalist or fundamentalist movements than Protestantism in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Which is really bizarre. Protestant and Catholics are just different denominations. Catholicism being larger and a lot older makes the distinction strange. Catholicism is the original church, Protestantism is a relatively recent breakaway schism.

I think what you're saying about the Protestant churches and early Christianity more accurately applies to American evangelist, revivalist or fundamentalist movements than Protestantism in general.
    Actually, Protestantism was an attempt to return to the church of the scriptures, because the Catholic church picked up a lot of stuff, much of it gleaned from European paganism and Jewish mysticism, that wasn't there in the early days of the church - worship of the virgin Mary, worship of saints, virtually every single ritual associated with the Catholic church, etc. The Catholic church is big, and it's more organized, but it's not exactly older. It's a breakaway schism just as much as the Protestant movement was a breakaway from them. I suspect that if we could ask Jesus and the Apostles about the Catholic church as it is today, they would say it is nothing like the church they set out to establish and spread.

Basically, Protestants are strict adherents to the written Word - to them, the Bible, and the Bible alone is the ultimate authority on all things, not the Pope or the priesthood, and if it's not in the Bible, it has no place to be taught in the church.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2016-10-26 at 02:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, Protestants are strict adherents to the written Word - to them, the Bible, and the Bible alone is the ultimate authority on all things, not the Pope or the priesthood, and if it's not in the Bible, it has no place to be taught in the church.
    Which bible?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Which bible?
    Oh, it's you. Time to pack it in folks, the anti-religious trolls are here to hijack the conversation with their bile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, it's you. Time to pack it in folks, the anti-religious trolls are here to hijack the conversation with their bile.
    It was a simple question but I guess even those can be tough sometimes. Seems like as good a reason as any to attack someone. Real christian-like
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    It was a simple question but I guess even those can be tough sometimes. Seems like as good a reason as any to attack someone. Real christian-like
    Oh please, are you seriously going to pretend like that wasn't a loaded question designed to trigger some kind of rant on your part about how the traditional Bible isn't the "real" Bible or some other line of crap that militant atheists who spent five minutes researching something and think that makes them experts on Biblical text history think is their ultimate trump card against Christians?

Yeah, I think I'll skip that "discussion" you were pretending to want to have. It's like the abortion "debate" in that it's the rhetorical version of trench warfare: both sides have pre-existing battle lines, they lob all kinds of nasty barbs and gas at each other, gain absolutely no ground on each other, and just end up making a hell of an ugly mess of it. Think I'll skip it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Closing this before it goes full out religious discussion, as it seems headed there anyways

Closing