Quote Originally Posted by Kelthos View Post
    I'm shocked people care enough about this issue to make a 600+ page forum thread over it. It will get here when Blizzard feels like it. Not being able to fly is little more than a minor inconvenience anyways. It doesn't ruin the game.
    It will get here when Blizzard feels like it, which means our choice is being limited by whenever Blizzard feels like it. That's really the whole point of the thread. It's about not being satisfied by what Blizzard feels like doing. That's why this thread/topic still exists well after the WoD debacle.

I don't even care about flight all that much and I can recognize that what Blizzard is doing in terms of communicating their plans on flight is bullshit. They're doing exactly what they did in WoD, except this time they didn't say "No flying permanently" and trigger the community into firing back. They dodged the bullet in Legion because 'as horrible as it is, it's all a part of the plan'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

It gives some lore and a mount at the end, which is a vanity item. Does it give enough AP to ignore the repetitive world quests from 7.0 and the grinding of the same old dungeons? I'm guessing no???

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Kindof like the Suramar 8-parts unlocking over 8-weeks chain they just added?

While it might seem minor by itself, I like the thought of having a new chapter / mini-chapter to unlock weekly. Although this one is just for Suramar, I hope they use it going forward into future patches, as it fills the 'something new to do this week' niche nicely.
    Yeah, this is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    That depends on the individual's preferences. There's basically four types of opinions on no flying. No flying makes the game better, no flying doesn't make a difference, no flying makes it worse but not bad enough to not play, and no flying is bad enough that the game feels unplayable.
    There's another opinion: it's not a big enough thing to care much about either way. Ambivalence is a completely valid option. Passionate but ultimately unending circular forum arguments about it are amusing enough and a great way to waste some time but it's not particularly a big deal. Flying is nice but if the content is bad or the gameplay/story doesn't work well it won't fix either of those. If the gameplay/story is good then it matters a lot less. That's an opinion that is shared by a great many people.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Eh, isn't that kind of the same as the "doesn't make a difference" person? I intended that to refer to people who don't care?

^^ Yeah, Moana, you are responding to nicks / vibes now, not to posts, rebecca had you covered with her option 2. I agree that the thread has a lot of repeat arguments, but I, for one, am always trying to say something new - that means I only post rarely, but that's fine - and I respond to posts that only say something kind of new as well. Do the same, the thread will be cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Tick tick tick. Everything Jaylock said was correct.

The key line for people to take away, well some people anyway, is "ground travel is the intended way to play the game."

Some people, such as rebecca, wish apples were oranges. IE, they play/ed Wow (ground based game) but really wish it was something its not (flight based game). You cant hate an apple because its not an orange.

Just accept you're playing the wrong game - by wishing it was something its not - and move find something else instead better to your liking.

Wow is a ground based game by design. Yes, Blizzard flirted in the past (tbc -> wod) with some flying foreplay - but it never worked out - hence Blizzard has (thankfully) taken WoW back so its Vanilla roots and its forte.
    "Flirted with it in the past"? Holy shot I don't believe I just read that. I guess something that's been a defining feature that helped set wow apart from other mmos for more than half its existence only counts as "flirting".

It never worked out? Man, you must have Michael Phelps beat for gold medals, only in the mental gymnastics division, to believe that. Are you trolling here? I don't see how pro-flight people can be called fanatics when compared to this.

Deleted
    For me it feels that flying should have been already ingame. I've grinded enough time and "danger" on ground and no flying now just adds tedium to everything I do... Everytime I juggle flight paths, everytime I group up with friends from horde-dominated PVP server and some of the hordies let their inner sociopath out(= gank me on my way to dungeon) or everytime I get dazed on my way to world quest... I really wish the flying was already here. It should have been rewarded for Pathfinder I, but without Nightfallen storylines.

Or even better, it should have been given for just Loremaster (minus Nightfallen) and Explorer. L+M means I have seen all the world and experienced all levelling stories. In this moment, ground travel isn't about seeing the world for me. I either stare into the map trying to find the most optimal route (and sometimes feel like travelling salesman ) or I stare at the mobs finding the best way to dodge them. Especially doing the orbs for Kosumoth was pain in the backside...

Don't get me wrong, I really love Legion. I accepted it for what it is, but no quick flying is the biggest flaw for me. I would happily give up any change for legendary for the ability to fly. I hope 7.2 adds flying as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    "Flirted with it in the past"? Holy shot I don't believe I just read that. I guess something that's been a defining feature that helped set wow apart from other mmos for more than half its existence only counts as "flirting".

It never worked out? Man, you must have Michael Phelps beat for gold medals, only in the mental gymnastics division, to believe that. Are you trolling here? I don't see how pro-flight people can be called fanatics when compared to this.
    /facepalm. Ok i'll reexplain for the dopier minds in our midst.

Blizzard flirted with flying in the sense that, once they added it...... they never really successfully integrated it into the game in a meaningful way. It simply exists as a way to massively trivialise all other options by its sheer efficiency. WoW was a ground based game that had flight tacked on. And they didint go much further with it...

... they played around flying integration here and there - eg experimented with flying in the leveling experience for a few zones (eg Storm Peaks, Icecrown), and a few flying activities/puzzles etc. But thats about it. Thats called flirting with flying - because , ultimately, it was never meaningfully successful - despite existing in wow for 'more than half its existence' as you so astutely pointed out.

Good riddance! Its clear that Legion, (but starting with WOD) - is the result of Blizzards newer mindset that WoW is intended to be played as a ground based game.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2016-11-01 at 12:27 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    There's another opinion: it's not a big enough thing to care much about either way. Ambivalence is a completely valid option. Passionate but ultimately unending circular forum arguments about it are amusing enough and a great way to waste some time but it's not particularly a big deal. Flying is nice but if the content is bad or the gameplay/story doesn't work well it won't fix either of those. If the gameplay/story is good then it matters a lot less. That's an opinion that is shared by a great many people.
    This hits it spot on. While some people may prefer flying, the vast majority is ambivalent. If they weren't they would be blowing up forums and discussing their dislike. But at the end of the day, the bulk of the playerbase just doesn't care enough about anything other than content to show up to a forum and express an opinion. 7+M people still playing (probably closer to 9M), and there are a half dozen people who are upset by this. Seems to me players just are not as fractured by the lack of flight like this vocal minority would lead us to believe.

Its been said many times, the vast amount of people simply dont give a shit about whether we fly or not. All they care about is the quality of the content.

If content is good (like legion now) nobody cares about flying.
    If content is shit (WoD) or huge content droughts occur (WoD) people get bored and look for bandwagon things to hate on, of which noflying is one.

Everyone in this thread is a minority here. The silent majority are happily playing Legion - and - judging by community reaction , happily enjoying the content available. They arent currently even thinking about flight , its just not on their radar.

If the quality of the content slips in future patches, or we experience content droughts - this can / may / will change. But as we know, Blizzard has been rather proactive in articulating their desire to avoid WoD shit again.

This frustrates the shit out of Pro-flyers, because for their argument to succeed and gain momentum, they need the community to either hate the game or be bored with it and eager to jump on the 'lets hate something' bandwagon. Just like WoD. The Legion current situation is the opposite - Legion has been positively received and people are enjoying the content. Might the sky fall in future? Of course it could - but buy me a lotto ticket as well if you plan on predicting that pls.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2016-11-01 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirra View Post
    For me it feels that flying should have been already ingame. I've grinded enough time and "danger" on ground and no flying now just adds tedium to everything I do... Everytime I juggle flight paths, everytime I group up with friends from horde-dominated PVP server and some of the hordies let their inner sociopath out(= gank me on my way to dungeon) or everytime I get dazed on my way to world quest... I really wish the flying was already here. It should have been rewarded for Pathfinder I, but without Nightfallen storylines.

Or even better, it should have been given for just Loremaster (minus Nightfallen) and Explorer. L+M means I have seen all the world and experienced all levelling stories. In this moment, ground travel isn't about seeing the world for me. I either stare into the map trying to find the most optimal route (and sometimes feel like travelling salesman ) or I stare at the mobs finding the best way to dodge them. Especially doing the orbs for Kosumoth was pain in the backside...

Don't get me wrong, I really love Legion. I accepted it for what it is, but no quick flying is the biggest flaw for me. I would happily give up any change for legendary for the ability to fly. I hope 7.2 adds flying as soon as possible...
    Good post.

I find it surprising that you would give away legendary for flying, but it seems there are players out there that feel this way. Furthermore, there isn't much thinking involved if you cherry pick world quests you do based on the closest flight path.

WoW devs are looking at this metric and should be concerned that this is the type of unhealthy gameplay they are promoting with no flying world. And it is also causing players to avoid doing world content as they intended which makes some non raider players feel like they can't progress anymore.

With flying non raiding players could progress into non raiding acitivities but now that option is off the table till "mid expansion".

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    "An opinion that's shared by a great many people"

Any proof of this. Removing flight contributed to the biggest downfall in wow subs ever

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    All this means in practice is that:

(a) some players will leave, probably not a lot, but still, and
    (b) many players will stay but ignore the most tedious aspects of the world in the current expansion - and either get back to them in the next expansion when they can fly in the now-old zones, or just never get back to them.

There's that saying from GC about how they once thought that when presented with a challenge, players will stand up to it, but players just ignore it instead (I think it could have been about Cata heroics). It's the same here - you make things more tedious thinking I will appreciate them more that way? LOL, I will just ignore them until they are easy again, because I am the only judge of how easy they have to be in order to be enjoyable (the archaeology "gameplay" isn't all that fun, it's all about the rewards from skill level 150 or thereabout).

Both things above are straight losses, compensated by nothing. Nobody is coming to the game because it does not have flying in several last zones - if I enjoy going by ground, I just go by ground, and if I take off into the air the moment I can fly, this means that I want to take off into the air more than I want to go by ground (jee, maybe that's because I already killed all of the very interesting mobs and got all of the superbly great treasures on the ground, but whatever). If some idiot at Blizzard wants to take a stand on flying and take these uncompensated losses, sure, their game.
    New players have the expectation for flying and teleports coming from other games. That is why I believe was another reason for the flight whistle as most new players will not stick around with a design paradigm of little or no teleports and no flying.

WoW devs had an opportunity to revamp the flight path system but they actually managed to make it worse going from WoD---->Legion.

That is why removing flying is damaging, because they are not willing to put in the effort to make no flying world work in the first place. And even if they did it would no longer resemble WoW but at least it would be semi playable.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post

Any proof of this. Removing flight contributed to the biggest downfall in wow subs ever
    Any proof of this? Funny how you ask for proof yet immediately follow up with an unsubstantiated claim.
    Last edited by corebit; 2016-11-01 at 02:02 PM.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post

Any proof of that? I mean the rest of WoD must have been an amazing expansion if that's the case. A drop in the bucket sure. But it wasn't the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    For what it's worth I can't raid anymore either, but being able to raid would not have saved this expac for me, I would still have not played it because I would have burned out from doing the world quests every day on a ground mount for AP and chance at legendary item. If I could still raid in a high ranked guild I could only enjoy the game with no flying if skipping world content didn't gimp me for raiding. I'd still play it about half as much as I would with flying, since I'd be skipping everything else I'd otherwise do to collect pets/mounts/toys..... so I'd play it but it would be of much lower value to me.
    I think it would fix players trying to work on their alts by having flying.

They would still be throttled by Artifact knowledge gating but players would still they could progress because they can accomplish more world quests in a shorter period of time with flying.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Any proof of this? Funny how you ask for proof yet immediately follow up with an unsubstantiated claim.
    Yea look at sub numbers a month into the first expansion without flight

#proof

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Any proof of that? I mean the rest of WoD must have been an amazing expansion if that's the case. A drop in the bucket sure. But it wasn't the ocean.

See above for ref

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20750234938

What is the reason why Blizz is against flying while dead in Legion?

Is this a relic of the Everquest era that WoW devs do not want to let go with corpse running?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    I don't think so. I don't think no flying makes the game more alive. People are in the world because of world quests, they'd have been there with or without flight, and no flight does *not* increase the density. (Nor do I think people appreciate the crowds at frequently needed locations, really, but that's a different point, it wouldn't have been helped by flying.)
    Yeah I have to agree.

CRZ makes it just an illusion. Some players have admitted in this thread they are happy for other players to relegated to window dressing to make their gaming experience better. I feel the opposite I don't play the game to be a prop like a NPC.

Flying is about your personal progression and choosing to interact with players should always be in the hands of the player not because CRZ sharding starts to do crazy things all of a sudden with no control of that sharding.