10+ Year Old Account

Inscription worth taking?

So far the only thing they look like they have that is useful is that week long buff to a particular boss. Is there anything else that makes it worth getting? Glyphs are a shell of their former glory and not worth investing into.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Big problem of Inscription is that theres no longer an ingame UI for glyphs. Im serious, I dont even know what glyphs my class have and Im not bothering with looking it on wowhead. I bet theres plenty of people like me. You can still make money with this proff, theres few very expensive glyphs when I was checking on undermine journal, but overall I dont like this prof and for trinkets I think its too late now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Short answer: Yes, only engineering is worse

Less short answer: With the absolute gutting of glyphs- few to no cosmetics, nothing new except for a few DH ones and several simply removed inscription is a fucking joke of a profession. Maybe keep one around on an alt to generate talent books but as it stands you can just take all your food and flask gold and dump it into the vantus runes, if your guild is so inclined
    Wrath baby and proud of it

Deleted
    Glyph of wraithg walking is mandatory for Death Knight as it removes ground blocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FragmentedFaith View Post
    Short answer: Yes, only engineering is worse
    Whaaaa? I love engineering! It's a great QoL improvement and I try to have it on every toon I play. I have portals to take me to most places through out all of the expansions, I can create stuff to make me invis, give me run speed boost or glide around. I single handedly saved a Mythic+ from failure because some tard had forgotten to fix his gear and it broke half way through, but I had my repair bot. Portable mail box. AH in Dalaran. Reaves that can shoot fireworks for me to celebrate the fact that I'm an Engineer. etc
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Everything you mentioned is just useless stuff for me. Theres portals in dala, fast travel with wq whsitle, as DH I dont need glider and on my non dh alt I dont feel like I need one. Repairs in dungeons? Anvil in bag. For me theres nothing interesting in eng prof.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Everything you mentioned is just useless stuff for me. Theres portals in dala, fast travel with wq whsitle, as DH I dont need glider and on my non dh alt I dont feel like I need one. Repairs in dungeons? Anvil in bag. For me theres nothing interesting in eng prof.
    The engi has portals that can take them places that the Dal portals can't. Like a portal that takes you anywhere in Northrend, or to Gadgetzan, etc. Jeeves is great because you can access your bank anywhere. Gliders are super useful, especially in Highmountain and Stormheim. Portable mailbox is fantastic.

Also, my number one reason...Loot-a-rang. These are reasons why I have engineering on every character.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Static Transit View Post
    The engi has portals that can take them places that the Dal portals can't. Like a portal that takes you anywhere in Northrend, or to Gadgetzan, etc.
    But Dalaran also has portals to the Caverns of Time entrance near Gadgetzan and to Wyrmrest Temple in Northrend, and without 4 hour cooldowns.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Repairs in dungeons? Anvil in bag.
    What anvil would that be? I thought only engineers could repair in dungeons.

The engi has portals that can take them places that the Dal portals can't. Like a portal that takes you anywhere in Northrend, or to Gadgetzan, etc. Jeeves is great because you can access your bank anywhere. Gliders are super useful, especially in Highmountain and Stormheim. Portable mailbox is fantastic.

Also, my number one reason...Loot-a-rang. These are reasons why I have engineering on every character.
    But I dont have any reason to go to Northrend, and theres portal to Dragonblight so still useless. I always have potions, food, flasks in my bag, you dont need crafting mats in your bag anymore so bank acces also not important for me. In last week I used mail maybe twice, to send mats to alchemist from my guild. The only good thing is loot a rang. Thats why I think other profs are much more usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by bettomendes View Post
    Thermal Anvil from BS, 20 charges, cost maybe 30-40g on ah.
    Last edited by Mamut; 2016-11-06 at 01:11 PM.

You can't repair things with thermal anvil, it's only for crafting. There is however new Autohammer, but it's price is much higher and it's 1 item per craft (stacks up to 20)

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    But Dalaran also has portals to the Caverns of Time entrance near Gadgetzan and to Wyrmrest Temple in Northrend, and without 4 hour cooldowns.
    Northrend portal can go to any zone in NR. I think the IC one takes you straight to the Argent Tournament. There's also portals to other places as well (Gadgetzan and Toshley's Station for Gnomish Engineering, and Area 52 and Everlook for Goblin).

But I dont have any reason to go to Northrend, and theres portal to Dragonblight so still useless. I always have potions, food, flasks in my bag, you dont need crafting mats in your bag anymore so bank acces also not important for me. In last week I used mail maybe twice, to send mats to alchemist from my guild. The only good thing is loot a rang. Thats why I think other profs are much more usefull.

You can access your bank if you forgot something other than mats. Or let's say you want to enchant something you got in a raid, and you forgot to bring mats so that the enchanter can enchant your stuff. Just use Jeeves to grab the mats. Mailbox has been very useful for me, such as for mailing BoEs from my leveling alt to my enchanter when it's out in the world. Sometimes I don't want to go find a mailbox or go too far from where I'm questing.

And like Dnusha said, thermal anvil doesn't let you repair, that's the autohammer. And lootarang by itself is good enough for me. Oh yeah, and there's also the Ultimate Gnomish Army Knife, which is great if you're playing a class that can't rez (and even if you are, it has a shorter cast time). I also keep Goblin Glider and Watergliding Jets on my gear because of how useful they are.

Deleted
    Northrend portal can go to any zone in NR. I think the IC one takes you straight to the Argent Tournament. There's also portals to other places as well (Gadgetzan and Toshley's Station for Gnomish Engineering, and Area 52 and Everlook for Goblin).

You can access your bank if you forgot something other than mats. Or let's say you want to enchant something you got in a raid, and you forgot to bring mats so that the enchanter can enchant your stuff. Just use Jeeves to grab the mats. Mailbox has been very useful for me, such as for mailing BoEs from my leveling alt to my enchanter when it's out in the world. Sometimes I don't want to go find a mailbox or go too far from where I'm questing.

And like Dnusha said, thermal anvil doesn't let you repair, that's the autohammer. And lootarang by itself is good enough for me. Oh yeah, and there's also the Ultimate Gnomish Army Knife, which is great if you're playing a class that can't rez (and even if you are, it has a shorter cast time). I also keep Goblin Glider and Watergliding Jets on my gear because of how useful they are.
    I thought loot-a-rang only works in draenor since 7.0?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnrose View Post
    I thought loot-a-rang only works in draenor since 7.0?
    thats the findle loot-a-rang you think of, theres also the real loot-a-rang which still works everywhere but requires engi to use
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bettomendes View Post
    Every char can use the new engineering crafted Anvil from Legion. You don't need engineering to drop and use it to repair.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

You can mount up on nearly every raid/dungeon..

Just use your rep mount.

I love how this went from Inscription to a dick measuring contest about engineering...hey OP...I still have inscription and so far the only things I make consistent gold on are the Tomes, i usually make around 60k a week, and thats with herbalism as my other profession which is integral to inscription. also vantus runes will make you good money at rank 3

You can buy Auto-hammers on the AH, it's a consumable that creates a repair vendor for everyone to use. I keep a stack with me. Engineers make them, but you don't have to be an engineer to use them. I assume this is what Mamut had in mind above when he mentioned the Anvil.

The situation is the same with Gliders. So it's not "I love being an engineer because I love gliding around and saving Mythic+ runs with repairs" but rather "I love being able to craft super-useful consumables anyone can use and selling them on the AH for near-cost."

Blizzard: Bosses now also have a chance to drop ponies! A pony makes your character better.
    Players: AAARGH ponies are RNG!
    Now it's even harder to be perfect. /unsub
    They should just make ponies baseline.
    LOL @ World of Ponycraft.

Tomes and Scroll of Forgotten Knowledge make decent money.