Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Times are good. "Elections has consequence." ~Barack Obama 2008

snip
    How is this even relevant to what I said? Regardless of who won the election, if the state seceded from the Union the economy of the US would collapse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Quote Originally Posted by LolretKJ View Post
    How is this even relevant to what I said? Regardless of who won the election, if the state seceded from the Union the economy of the US would collapse.
    Right now everything matters. Here's something for the anime fans

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I never said it would happen, but California could easily be its own country. It's needs the United States less than the U.S. needs it.
    Whatever spectrum your on, this si BS when brexit side used and this is BS now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    Not quite true (yes i know you're just using an example) As it stands now 25.5% subjected the 74.5% to the current President. It's why actually going out to vote matters
    The people who didn't vote don't get a say in the matter and chose not to have one. But my point still stands.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I defend it because it is the law of the land.

Actually, less than 49% voted for either candidate. So no matter who won, they would not have the backing of the majority of the country.
    Laws can be changed. When laws are no longer applicable or necessary, they warrant changing.

The electoral college is no longer practically applicable or necessary when it fails to reflect the will of the people twice in less than two decades.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, it's kinda illegal for one. Second, California really couldn't do much without the other 47 contiguous states.

So just like Texas threatening to secede whenever two guys kiss, it's a bunch of bullshit.
    This reminds me of Catalonia in Spain, they want to be independent...

I simply have to /facepalm at all the ignorant people saying that California could stand on its own two feet as a sovereign nation if it seceded from the Union. These people don't realize or understand the kind of interdependence and coexistence that takes place between California and the other 49 states. Just because California gives more in federal taxes than it gets back, doesn't mean that it could magically make it all on its own. There is a very complex and important relationship between California and the rest of the US that makes it so that each one relies on the other far too much for anything like #Calexit to ever happen.

Not to mention that the other 49 states, the federal government, and the military could simply overpower California if need be in order to keep them in the US. Not that it would ever come to this, obviously, but the point still stands.

Electoral college is the biggest joke of a system ever. Why is that the system? If you're going to have electorates or colleges like that, they need to consist of atleast sort-of equal numbers of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I simply have to /facepalm at all the ignorant people saying that California could stand on its own two feet as a sovereign nation if it seceded from the Union. These people don't realize or understand the kind of interdependence and coexistence that takes place between California and the other 49 states. Just because California gives more in federal taxes than it gets back, doesn't mean that it could magically make it all on its own. There is a very complex and important relationship between California and the rest of the US that makes it so that each one relies on the other far too much for anything like #Calexit to ever happen.

Not to mention that the other 49 states, the federal government, and the military could simply overpower California if need be in order to keep them in the US. Not that it would ever come to this, obviously, but the point still stands.
    Of course it could; California is bigger than a huge number of nations on Earth with a much bigger GDP. The holes that they have could easily be filled.

It won't happen, but not in any way because it isn't feasible.

Once again, people failing to realize the interedepence and relationship between California and the rest of the US making idiotic comments on the Internet. Things like how the economy, trade, geography, logistics, family ties, etc, etc, etc have a much bigger impact and influence on things between California and the rest of the nation. All people see is "California makes lots of money, therefore it can do well on its own!" These people are doing nothing more than showing that they can't wrap their heads around the intricacies of how California and the rest of the US are far too intertwined and dependent upon each other in more ways than just GDP.

But I don't expect much smarts or common sense to be coming from the people sitting around and discussing stupid shit like #Calexit as if it could ever truly be a thing in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Whatever spectrum your on, this si BS when brexit side used and this is BS now
    I never said it would, or even should come to fruition. However, California gets accused of being a failed state, where people just live their lives without thinking about the consequences. In reality, it is an economic juggernaut, and could survive just fine on its own. It has a ton of natural resources, and supports the fiscal ineptitude and wasteful spending of many other states.

Britain manage to survive a very long time without the EU, and they will be just fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I never said it would, or even should come to fruition. However, California gets accused of being a failed state, where people just live their lives without thinking about the consequences. In reality, it is an economic juggernaut, and could survive just fine on its own. It has a ton of natural resources, and supports the fiscal ineptitude and wasteful spending of many other states.

Britain manage to survive a very long time without the EU, and they will be just fine now.
    British government joined the EU because it's economy was lagging behind the rest of Europe...
    British government now is working overtime and paying companies to stay to make sure the economy doesn't fall in a bottelmess pit

Conclusion: Don't say anything close to ''California will be fine because XYZ'' because the economy both California and the UK is based on the fact that they have easy access the US/EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zormis View Post
    I hope it happens! Oh do I hope it happens! You will ensure a republican victory for years to come, please succeed California, PLEASE!
    Yeah, California could move on and progress and be a properly western country like Canada and nations in Europe while the US descends into a 3rd world nightmare lead by Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    So a bunch of people who took issue with the election results now want to get California to secede from the Union, because (get this, this is hilarious) "California's votes didn't matter". The secessionist group calling itself Yes California is tweeting this:

I am a Californian, one who voted FOR Trump as a matter of fact, and to this I have to say: "Are you FUCKING kidding me?" California has the biggest say in the election every fucking time. California gets a monstrous 55 electoral votes, more than any other state in the country. What, do they think that California alone should be able to determine the President? "WELP, time to pack it in folks, California decided that Hillary is the president and that's the end of it. Sorry Kansas, sorry Ohio, sorry Texas, you don't matter, all that matters is what California thinks!"

I didn't hear them complaining about their vote not counting in '08 and '12. The 55 vote majority, which almost always automatically goes to the Democrat party, does matter. But of course, the minute an election doesn't go the way that they want, they scream that they "never" get their way.

My three year old son is more mature than this.

I'll tell you what, "Yes California" - you can secede from the Union, as long as Northern California (you know, where you get all your water from) can secede from YOU and rejoin the Union as the State of Jefferson.
    The issue is EC. It's a joke. Like your country
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

For a country that thinks highly of its democracy, a lot of people ain't exactly in favour of it apparently with all these hypocritical morons throwing a tantrum over Trump's win.

Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    That's exactly how I feel. I wanted Trump to win purely because I wanted to see the rivers of tears from the democrats. I don't think anyone was prepared for the oceans they created though. I mean fuck, someone lost an election, and you're sobbing?

Further, I don't think the majority of Clinton supporters even understand how the election works... "one person, one vote"? A guy on CNN (during a protest of course) was like flabbergasted on how she lost because more people voted for her than Trump.

I can vaguely (not really, but whatever) see protests when a black gets shot and killed by a non-black, but what the hell do these people think is going to come of this?
    You made a pathologically lying, super predator, unstable con man the most powerful person in the world just so you can see rivers of tears from people you don't like. You supported a guy who literally said he'd run as a Republican because they're so dumb they'd believe his lies. Congrats on that. This man now has both houses of congress behind him plus an open supreme court seat. The sh8tstorm thats about to rain down on this country will be biblical. This goes way beyond just losing an election.
    Last edited by Pratt; 2016-11-11 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    British government joined the EU because it's economy was lagging behind the rest of Europe...
    British government now is working overtime and paying companies to stay to make sure the economy doesn't fall in a bottelmess pit

Conclusion: Don't say anything close to ''California will be fine because XYZ'' because the economy both California and the UK is based on the fact that they have easy access the US/EU.
    They will be fine. They may not do as well as when they were with their respective unions, but they would both be just fine. They could both negotiate their own free trade deals, and as long as they have a solid production base, someone will want to buy their products.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Sources of water for California

Hmmmm, looks like California only gets ~2% of its water from the Colorado river. Not such a big issue after all. Though the farmers in southern Cal would probably be unhappy initially.
    In a drought. We are using up those water supplies at an alarming rate. The last number I heard is that it would take 10 years worth of decent rainfall during our rainy season (not constant daily rain for 10 years don't be stupid) to get us back to where we were previously with our water supply. So the question of "How is California going to get water if they secede?" by @satimy is not only valid, but has not been answered.

•Maybe Utah will be able to keep some of our water instead of sending it to CA.

•55 electoral votes that California has would no longer be.

•The fires CA has during the summers are many, guess what federal government won't have to fight them anymore?

Do Californians plan on getting the whole state out, or just the counties that were blue?

Last edited by Symphonic; 2016-11-11 at 03:53 PM.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Normal water use isn't restricted in most areas.
    It sure isn't. Drive through Palm Springs and see how green they keep those Golf Courses (in the middle of the fucking desert).

Or head up to the high desert in Apple Valley and see all the new homes being built with large GRASS lawns (again in the middle of the fucking desert).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Right now everything matters. Here's something for the anime fans

This one made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    In a drought. We are using up those water supplies at an alarming rate. The last number I heard is that it would take 10 years worth of decent rainfall during our rainy season (not constant daily rain for 10 years don't be stupid) to get us back to where we were previously with our water supply. So the question of "How is California going to get water if they secede?" by @satimy is not only valid, but has not been answered.
    Trump said there is no drought and that we should believe him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we just talk about how blatantly false the statement that California doesn't influence elections?

First off California has the highest number of electoral votes at 55. The next highest state is Texas with 34!

Second, California has a monopoly (for lack of a better word) on how those electoral votes are distributed. Some states distribute electoral votes based on the popular vote. But not California, in California the majority winner of the popular vote gets ALL 55 electoral votes. So if anyone in California has the right to complain how California or their personal vote doesn't influence elections its Republicans who (according to the voting results) make up 33% of the voters in the State.

So how someone who professes to be a liberal, a democrat, a Hilary supporter can claim that THEIR vote doesn't matter is beyond me. It show you don't understand the system at all. It shows that you are ignorant, and whiny.

What is disgusting is how little campaigning either party will really do in this state. Why? Because its a shoe in vote for the democrats. Democrats don't spend a lot of campaign money here because they know they have your vote. Republicans don't spend a lot of campaign money here because they know they don't have your vote. Democrats are pretty much guaranteed 55/270 votes needed to win an election. 1/5 of your votes guaranteed... I'd love that kind of guarantee in my life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Trump said there is no drought and that we should believe him.
    Well just about the only thing Trump has going for him is that he isn't Hilary... beyond that...