Thread: Civilization VI

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think most of my Rome games I had Iron in my first city border, maybe there is some weighting involved depending on what you play?
    It is in no way guaranteed though. Just like getting tundra starts as Cleo and/or getting desert starts as Peter. (fun fun!)

Quote Originally Posted by Paluriien View Post
    I've really enjoyed the game so far (granted I've only been able to put ~25 hours in, which is a lot less than some).

I do get that the bugs/balance issues/exploits ruin it for some, but I'm fairly optimistic that Firaxis will patch the worst offenders soon. In the meantime, I'm avoiding looking up guides for optimal play or exploiting obvious bugs (such as AI trading or unit-disbanding) which is keeping it fairly challenging. I play on Immortal/Deity btw.

I think the AI is the bigger worry in the long term and something that probably can't be fixed through patches/mods alone. It might be something that drives me to try the online multiplayer (which would be a Civ-first for me) eventually.
    I'm optimistic as well, a lot more optimistic then i was at civ5 release, lol.
    Problem is tree chopping is bugged and that is not something you can just "avoid to not cheat" - same with immortal/deity difficulty (you get the production bonus that is meant for the AI) - atm hardest difficulty is emperor solely because of that bug, lol.

Multiplayer is where its at, though, when they finish the desync issue (assuming that is not me not having a SSD, and playing against people who do!)
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

Quote Originally Posted by Noblia View Post
    Worst civ game ever made. The UI sucks. The AI sucks. The new tech tree combined with the culture tree is complicated and that is actually a good thing. You have other civs CONSTANTLY bugging you every turn. I thought it was bad in Civ 5 but Civ 6 has taken it to a whole new level of torture. I want the ability to silence any civ I don't want to deal with. You still can't set the caravans to instantly refresh and when they do refresh they don't tell you who you were trading with, so it becomes a guessing game. The Ai goes off and does its own thing, totally irrational. The gameplay is odd and not at all satisfying. You get to a point where you kind of just coast to a victory. There is a challenge to get over a hump then you are over it and the Ai gives up or goes batshit crazy and sends out 5 million military units every round toward your civilization. Just a bad experience overall. I had high hopes that they would look back at the 5 previous games and remove all the stuff people hate and keep everything people love. By the time you get to the 6th edition of anything you should have it near perfect and this is crappier than civ 1 and yes I played civ 1 back in the day.

I bought the game and I regret purchasing it. Not fun at all. I thought Civ 5 was a crap game and it is but Civ 6 is absolute crap. My suggestion is to wait until it is cheap to buy it. Don't buy it now unless you have cash to burn. It's not worth it. I miss Civ3 and Civ 4 they were the epitome of the Civilization games. Civ 6 is a huge huge disappointment.

Did Sid Meier quit? retire? do hard drugs? sell his soul to the devil and the devil collected? What the fuck happened to quality control?
    Fully agree and also regret buying it at release.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Well that is just dumb as hell. Deleting a unit shouldn't give anything - the option should exist to manage your maintenance and nothing more.
    Yes, disbanding units should not give gold or anything.

And every military unit should have gold maintenance (warrior and slingers are free currently).

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Fully agree and also regret buying it at release.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, disbanding units should not give gold or anything.
    I'm ok with the old system where you could only sell units in your borders, excluding double spawn units (scythia/venetian wonder bullshit) - the double units and deleting out of borders is what breaks it.

There's just to many bugs. But I don't feel there's a lack of content.. so I hope on some proper fix patches.

edit: I have played civ3/4/5/6 multiplayer with some real life friends, we most likely clocked in over 400 hours in civ4 alone, multiplayer only.

Once you eliminate AI from the game and play with actual humans, I really like civ 6 mechanics to be honest. They thought about it and a lot of these new systems are amazing. Problem is the AI that cannot handle the new stuff, making single player kinda meh.

But when they fix the actual exploits/bugs, it might overtake our civ4 playing time multiplayer!
    Last edited by falagar112; 2016-11-08 at 03:05 PM.
    My DK

Slowly they could bring a first bug fix patch. A lot of small bugs like liberated city states cant receive envoys are a little annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Slowly they could bring a first bug fix patch. A lot of small bugs like liberated city states cant receive envoys are a little annoying.
    I dunno, I'd be a little miffed if after liberating a city from their dominators, they decided to be wooed by some fancy words from some nation on the other side of the globe. Maybe that is an intended feature, I certainly felt that late game, when cities have 15+ envoys each; its a bit low to give you only 3 or 4 envoys after liberation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    I have a few questions about the game. Playing on emperor btw as higher difficulties seem to be bugged.

First, does the negative impact or razing someones city ever go away? Also what does asking a Civ to cede a city as part of the peace treaty do? They seem to be mad at me and denounce me for keeping it anyway. Another bug? And finally, is disbanding units actually a bug or exploit? Say you buy them, then disband them for more gold you paid for them, making it an infinite loop. Otherwise I dont see a problem. You can keep doing the market district project to convert production into gold anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    I have a few questions about the game. Playing on emperor btw as higher difficulties seem to be bugged.

First, does the negative impact or razing someones city ever go away? Also what does asking a Civ to cede a city as part of the peace treaty do? They seem to be mad at me and denounce me for keeping it anyway. Another bug? And finally, is disbanding units actually a bug or exploit? Say you buy them, then disband them for more gold you paid for them, making it an infinite loop. Otherwise I dont see a problem. You can keep doing the market district project to convert production into gold anyway.
    1. Don't know.
    2. It counts as conquering a city. They give it under pressure, not as an act of kindness. They give one city with the hopes you will spare more, and to get back to trading and making peace with your allies.
    3. Its an exploit. The problem is Scythia getting an ancient era unit for free for every one they build, even the AI is exploiting it by building one and selling two for a huge profit, well more and much earlier than the normal production-gold conversion.

Because of the policies (+100% Ancient cavalry production) as pointed out earlier you; get the situation where you can build a Horse archer in 3 turns, say or a water mill in like, 9. You build the horse archers in 3 turns, sell them both and purchase the watermill. Without needing a commercial district. ANd then build another 2 horse archers in 2 turns, sell them and purchase a builder or trader. Can explode your economy early on with it.

Also manageable late game with Venetian Armory as any civ. (+100% Information Era navy production or w/e) Missile Cruiser Armadas sell for 12k gold or something. If you can build one in 12 turns thats 2k gold a turn income from that city. Kinda neat.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gold from deleted units is too high. It should be capped at 1% of its original cost or 1 g, bonus units shouldn't give you any gold. As I see it units are an investment and retiring/mothballing units should incur costs which would be covered by low/pitiful gain of gold upon deletion of it. I am mind-boggled by some of the most obvious exploits. Earning income from tiles should come with trade-off somewhere and never be paired with absurd amounts of production (I am looking at you, Kongo).
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Because of the policies (+100% Ancient cavalry production) as pointed out earlier you; get the situation where you can build a Horse archer in 3 turns, say or a water mill in like, 9. You build the horse archers in 3 turns, sell them both and purchase the watermill. Without needing a commercial district. ANd then build another 2 horse archers in 2 turns, sell them and purchase a builder or trader. Can explode your economy early on with it.

Also manageable late game with Venetian Armory as any civ. (+100% Information Era navy production or w/e) Missile Cruiser Armadas sell for 12k gold or something. If you can build one in 12 turns thats 2k gold a turn income from that city. Kinda neat.
    Would like to point out that the Saka Horse Archer, is in fact, an archer, and not a cavalry unit
    So only the 50% production bonus towards archers work on it - and that gets replaced upon researching feudalism.
    Tactic stands though, and you know, I like the unique power (but you shouldn't be able to sell the doubled unit) - most of the civs have some nice niche strategy now.

It is the chopping bug that is mostly the problem - as that works on every civ, and the AI uses it as well (even if not intentionally, it is hard to avoid!)
    It is bullshit that you can build any wonder/district in 1 turn with chopping a tree + using 100% prod on unit overflow into buildings.

I can choose not to play scythia, I can't avoid chopping trees - it is a mandatory tactic on higher difficulties if you want to have any chance at getting a wonder at all
    My DK

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    1. Don't know.
    2. It counts as conquering a city. They give it under pressure, not as an act of kindness. They give one city with the hopes you will spare more, and to get back to trading and making peace with your allies.
    3. Its an exploit. The problem is Scythia getting an ancient era unit for free for every one they build, even the AI is exploiting it by building one and selling two for a huge profit, well more and much earlier than the normal production-gold conversion.
    Well if you ask for more gold or other things instead of ceding them, theyll be just as angry(by cede I mean not ask them to give you cities they still control but asking them to cede already conquered ones as part of the peace treaty). If you make peace with them, you keep them anyway, so why even have that option if it doesnt do anything.

PS it seems to be bugged or have very complex mechanics I dont know about. I started a new game, conquered Rome and asked them to give it up when making peace. Now Im best friends with them even though I hold their capital. I did the same thing with Russia, only it wasnt even their capital, just a random crappy city, now they keep denouncing me cause I occupy their cities.. go figure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Gold from deleted units is too high. It should be capped at 1% of its original cost or 1 g, bonus units shouldn't give you any gold. As I see it units are an investment and retiring/mothballing units should incur costs which would be covered by low/pitiful gain of gold upon deletion of it. I am mind-boggled by some of the most obvious exploits. Earning income from tiles should come with trade-off somewhere and never be paired with absurd amounts of production (I am looking at you, Kongo).
    Well I for one dont even bother with it. Doing so would mean you lose the unit and waste production that can be used better on other projects as you cant buy districts and wonders. A much better way, at least as Sparta is to antagonize a weak civ to declare war on you.. and for some reason they nearly always do, if they dont, you can start the war yourself. Then grind their catapults and archers .. and for some reason they always send them at you.. into culture, pillage their districts and improvements into more goodies and then accept their peace offer. Since on higher difficulties, the AI always cheats, they have tons of gold. And pillaging them keeps them weak and servile.

I dunno, I'd be a little miffed if after liberating a city from their dominators, they decided to be wooed by some fancy words from some nation on the other side of the globe. Maybe that is an intended feature, I certainly felt that late game, when cities have 15+ envoys each; its a bit low to give you only 3 or 4 envoys after liberation.
    Is that how its supposed to work? Because the way I experienced it: I liberated a city state, got a handful envoys, the ai put more envoys there and took the city state while I couldn't add additional ones to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Is that how its supposed to work? Because the way I experienced it: I liberated a city state, got a handful envoys, the ai put more envoys there and took the city state while I couldn't add additional ones to keep it.
    This is what I mean, practically speaking it just becomes your city-state with 3 or 4 envoys and as you described - the AI puts envoys in and soon its not yours anymore; which seems daft, especially in the cases of enclaves where you conquer the enemy and liberate his city states, so they end up entirely bordered by your own nation. And somehow still decide to support one of your enemies. Makes no sense.

I've not experienced not being able to add envoys to a liberated city. I just don't feel I should have to, once you liberate a city state, you should remain as suzerain, and if other nations don't like it, they can build an army and reconquer it.

Deleted
    You know, when we got Gorgo I expected... two leaders for every civ? Yet, only Greece has two?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    You know, when we got Gorgo I expected... two leaders for every civ? Yet, only Greece has two?
    Future expansions I imagine. That way they can reuse some assets while giving us more gameplay tools, thus giving us more leaders than we could with more whole civs. Greece was made to show off that mechanic for this generation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I was thinking this too....I thought we were going to be seeing 2 leaders for each country, as it is, the list if pretty short and not very interesting. Lots of classical civs, which is neat I guess, but really makes America feel like the odd man out. Wish we could get a few more "recent" leaders.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I'm honestly not running into many of these bugs.. I've just read about the "envoy to liberated cities bug" on this thread and that didn't happen to me. In my most recent game, I liberated a CS from Japan, and it showed:

ME: 3 Envoys
    Japan:1
    China:1

And 10 or so turns after that China added 3 envoys to pass me and become Suze. Maybe I just got lucky? The only bug that I might have ran into was the Sythian horse/money bug. I played a game against them (6 people) and they DID seem to get lots of money and troops quickly... but I can't confirm anything.

I'm enjoying it well overall. I hope they fix a few QoL things and maybe add the world congress back into the game.. but they do those things in expansions, so we will see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I was thinking this too....I thought we were going to be seeing 2 leaders for each country, as it is, the list if pretty short and not very interesting. Lots of classical civs, which is neat I guess, but really makes America feel like the odd man out. Wish we could get a few more "recent" leaders.
    Yeah it was tough going from a decked out Civ V to IV seeming so low with Leaders...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I'm honestly not running into many of these bugs.. I've just read about the "envoy to liberated cities bug" on this thread and that didn't happen to me. In my most recent game, I liberated a CS from Japan, and it showed:

ME: 3 Envoys
    Japan:1
    China:1

And 10 or so turns after that China added 3 envoys to pass me and become Suze. Maybe I just got lucky?
    Were you then able to add further envoys and overtake China?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    I think most of my Rome games I had Iron in my first city border, maybe there is some weighting involved depending on what you play?
    It is in no way guaranteed though. Just like getting tundra starts as Cleo and/or getting desert starts as Peter. (fun fun!)
    There is actually. Peter always seems to start near tundra, Cleo near rivers with flood plains or other flat areas around rivers(not always desert though). Sparta always seems to get a hilly start with a few mountains around or even between mountain chains. I don't think the starts are completely random.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saladin almost always starts near a lot of mountains and a river. His Faith and Science production is pretty good early on.