View Poll Results: Should a blood test be standard procedure?

Voters
432. This poll is closed
  • Yes

280 64.81%
  • No

114 26.39%
  • Neutral

38 8.80%
Page 1 of 31
... LastLast
    Deleted

Should a blood test at birth be standard procedure to confirm who is the father?

After seeing one of my employees break down this week because he found out (after more than a year) that "his" son wasn't his child at all but from another father we had a little discussion about the subject. One thing we (men) could agree about was that a blood test should be standard procedure at birth.

This can prevent future problems in the relationship and even more importantly: it can prevent a messed up childhood for the child.

What do you think, should a blood test be a standard procedure at birth to confirm the father is indeed the biological father?

Deleted
    Oh sweet lord!

The muh-soggy-knee.

...Yes

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Meh, there's enough blood involved, good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    After seeing one of my employees break down this week because he found out (after more than a year) that "his" son wasn't his child at all but from another father we had a little discussion about the subject. One thing we (men) could agree about was that a blood test should be standard procedure at birth.

This can prevent future problems in the relationship and even more importantly: it can prevent a messed up childhood for the child.

What do you think, should a blood test be a standard procedure at birth to confirm the father is indeed the biological father?
    You might have to explain that part, in the context of this thread. How is the child better off getting dumped, as opposed to not getting dumped?

Does the father have a right to know? Yes, why not. But don't pretend that it's in anyone elses favor, but the man. Trying to make it about the childs best interest is bs.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-11-16 at 10:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

A blood test of just the baby is not going to tell you who the father is.

Unless the mother identifies every fertile male she has sex with, you are not going to be able to test anyone but the baby.

In other words, your idea doesn't always result in determining who is the father, but can help in determining who is not the father.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2016-11-16 at 10:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No healthcare system is going to finance DNA tests at birth and simple blood tests tell you nothing neither if your woman is pregnant from a father with the same blood type as yours, nor if the baby inherited the mother's blood type
    So what is the point of your question

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think generalised mistrust is really called for. I doubt that kind of thing is particularly common and the scientifically determined truth of a matter is not always the best for the people involved imo, sometimes life is better when being lied to benevolently.

I do not think that would make much sense. If you cannot be certain of paternity, your relationship is fucked up, anyway.

And seeing how you would need a DNA test, we would probably be better off with a DNA screening early in the pregnancy to detect genetic conditions that the parents may not want to live with (Trisomy 21 being the best known example).

Um...no? Unless there's some reason for suspicion or uncertainty, I fail to see why it would be worth the cost, let alone the whole "them lyin', gold-digging bitches" angle...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    You might have to explain that part, in the context of this thread. How is the child better off getting dumped, as opposed to not getting dumped?

Does the father have a right to know? Yes, why not. But don't pretend that it's in anyone elses favor, but the man. Trying to make it about the childs best interest is bs.
    Well, there are cases where the "father" finds out after many years and the child is already attached to him and vice versa.
    I can't imagine this being a very healthy thing.

If you know right away at birth, at least the child (and father) don't have to live a lie for an X amount of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    If you cannot be certain of paternity, your relationship is fucked up, anyway.
    You can never be certain, only hopeful, without a test. =P (unless there are clear visual signs at birth, of course!)

Mamma's baby, Daddy's maybe!
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2016-11-16 at 10:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    I don't think generalised mistrust is really called for. I doubt that kind of thing is particularly common and the scientifically determined truth of a matter is not always the best for the people involved imo, sometimes life is better when being lied to benevolently.
    Better for the couple is subjective to say the least, for the child though undoubtedly; France is one of the countries whom practice "Peace within the family" and are complicit in further prohibiting the mans rights of ascertaining paternity which ironically is criminalized unless obtained through a french court (Lol).

Well, there are cases where the "father" finds out after many years and the child is already attached to him and vice versa.
    If that's the case, what does a little DNA matter? You'd have to be some kind of asshole to spend years loving and treating a child as if they're your own to just suddenly abandon them when it turns out they aren't "yours."

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It absolutely should be, but a DNA test instead. Women are guaranteed knowledge that the child is their own, so should men. You couldn't pay me to raise someone else's child.

I can't imagine this being a very healthy thing.

If you know right away at birth, at least the child (and father) don't have to live a lie for an X amount of years.
    If they are already attached, I find it hard to imagine that some person could be so messed up, as to drop emotionally cold and despise a child they loved, due to no fault of the child.

And how is single parenthood a benefit to the child?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    If that's the case, what does a little DNA matter? You'd have to be some kind of asshole to spend years loving and treating a child as if they're your own to just suddenly abandon them when it turns out they aren't "yours."
    Well... yes and no imo.

I can't imagine the feeling when finding our for example that some ex-boyfriend fathered the child and you are basically raising someone elses child.
    Yes, some will love the child regardless but others might not. I wouldnt want to judge them if they didnt myself.

The point remains that it's all preventable if everyone is sure at birth.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    So for the sake of the child a man should not only be forced to raise someone else's child, but also to keep living with the lying whore.
    While also robbing him of the chance to have a child of his own with the woman that deserves it.

Good idea.

Deleted
    Well... yes and no imo.

I can't imagine the feeling when finding our for example that some ex-boyfriend fathered the child and you are basically raising someone elses child.
    Yes, some will love the child regardless but others might not. I wouldnt want to judge them if they didnt myself.

The point remains that it's all preventable if everyone is sure at birth.
    Whilst paternity testing isn't mandated by any means for many health services it still remains an option, albeit private and paid by yours truly.

Very few countries outlaw paternity testing under strict criteria (E.G court ordered or otherwise) so it's not like we're second class citizens in regards to reproductive rights.

If the man wished to prove his paternity in the U.K he could do so quite easily and within reason without it being mandated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post

So u don't mind having others bastards dumped into ur lap??

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Whilst paternity testing isn't mandated by any means for many health services it still remains an option, albeit private and paid by yours truly.

Very few countries outlaw paternity testing under strict criteria (E.G court ordered or otherwise) so it's not like we're second class citizens in regards to reproductive rights.

If the man wished to prove his paternity in the U.K he could do so quite easily and within reason without it being mandated.
    In many countries it is only possible with the approval of both parents.
    So unless mother gives consent the said test will be illegal.