Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Arcane new dominant M+ spec?

Hey there guys. Mage is not my main but I got it to level 110 a couple of days ago and I'm planning to gear it mostly for M+ spam, and looking at the possible 7.1.5 changes, will Arcane be the go to spec for M+ dungeons? Its AoE looks consistent, and afaik they have a good ST burst damage, which is pretty much all you need in M+ excepting some Tyrannical bosses. Or, will Fire still be dominant in dungeon content?
    Thanks for your helpful thoughts.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's literally too early to tell how the changes are going to affect each spec and their damage output. A lot of things are being changed and a lot of information is still missing and will be added in the coming weeks.
    My magic will tear you apart.

No. Blizzard has stated numerous times that they want fire to be the best spec because "It feels bad to invest all your AP into X weapon and then that spec gets nerffed".

For this reason alone you should probably expect fire to get massive number buffs prior to 7.1.5 release.... That said, it is entirely possible that they don't, I just feel its less likely but well... Unholy DKs.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christonya View Post
    No. Blizzard has stated numerous times that they want fire to be the best spec because "It feels bad to invest all your AP into X weapon and then that spec gets nerffed".
    Having a hard time believing them with recent nerfs
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

7+ Year Old Account
    "New"

Arcane is the dominant M+ spec. Better AoE and the boss fights don't usually last long enough to be a problem, if the boss fights do last too long the other dps aren't pulling their weight or you're in a M+10 which means you're likely going to need to know arcane a little better than average to get the most out of the spec. I also don't want to hear about the arcane needs to drink after every pull line, you're going to be dumping your charges with Abarr so you wont go low and even if you need to drink its for 4-5 seconds to top off and you have two blinks to catch up, its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny McCormick View Post
    That said, it is entirely possible that they don't, I just feel its less likely but well... Unholy DKs.
    I did say ^.

Deleted
    With overpowered talent if it stays as it is arcane is gonna be monster in m+

Yeah I don't see any change in the status quo looking at current PTR status, Arcane will remain the top M+ spec for mage.

Quote Originally Posted by vaccine View Post
    Yeah I don't see any change in the status quo looking at current PTR status, Arcane will remain the top M+ spec for mage.
    And possibly the new raid spec... with their Overpowered talent (the new combust!), and general buffs over fire.

Deleted
    4 stack explosion with overpowered seems like the biggest aoe burst ever, so I doubt it will stay this way, but yeah, at this point it's overpowered. Pun intended. I seriously doubt it's going to make it live.

As stated above by a non bandwagon person who actually pays attention, Arcane is already M+ dominant so post 7.1.5 it will be even more op in M+.

Way to twist their words. Not wanting people to feel like they have to switch to the FotM spec =/= wanting fire to be the best spec

10+ Year Old Account

For this reason alone you should probably expect fire to get massive number buffs prior to 7.1.5 release.... That said, it is entirely possible that they don't, I just feel its less likely but well... Unholy DKs.
    This is probably the dumbest post I've seen this week on this forum, and I've read a lot of stupid shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Fire and arcane are both currently viable. I believe both will continue to be viable next patch. One will do better in areas the other won't.

Arcane is still a strong mythic + class, but the problem is people just don't know it. If you're in a run where the tank is constantly chain pulling keeping the group in combat then gl getting mana back. This whole "blink forward and drink" stuff doesn't work if you are constantly in combat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Arcane is still a strong mythic + class, but the problem is people just don't know it. If you're in a run where the tank is constantly chain pulling keeping the group in combat then gl getting mana back. This whole "blink forward and drink" stuff doesn't work if you are constantly in combat.
    Yeah, and any mage worth their salt will use the 90 sec greater invis to get out of combat and drink up, just like I use it to switch gear before boss fights on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorrum View Post
    "New"

Arcane is the dominant M+ spec. Better AoE and the boss fights don't usually last long enough to be a problem, if the boss fights do last too long the other dps aren't pulling their weight or you're in a M+10 which means you're likely going to need to know arcane a little better than average to get the most out of the spec. I also don't want to hear about the arcane needs to drink after every pull line, you're going to be dumping your charges with Abarr so you wont go low and even if you need to drink its for 4-5 seconds to top off and you have two blinks to catch up, its fine.
    Careful now, some people [on my ignore list] will say: "you're wrong, Arcanse sucks for m+", that "you're probably only doing M+2" and "you need to provide logs". Then, when you go through the effort to list the logs because they asked (logs are usually unlisted due to other guilds poaching high percentile members), they will choose not to look them up and say you never provided them.

Aracane has been absolutely amazing for me up to +13. I haven't been able to dish out DH/Rogue/Enh Shaman numbers (between 400k-470k average) as fire, now It's pretty doable.

Admittedly, this was with the Q exploit. I'm not sure it will still be possible. The changes on PTR are welcomed, though they are a nerf for those exploiting Q.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2016-11-18 at 09:56 AM.

So, another proof the mages are Blizzards little baby class?
    Won't let Fire be weaker than Arcane/Frost because reasons, yet this happened to Unholy/Frost? GG.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lowska View Post
    Yeah, and any mage worth their salt will use the 90 sec greater invis to get out of combat and drink up, just like I use it to switch gear before boss fights on fire.
    Well, depending on the difficulty you cant guarantee to have your Ginvis up inbetween every pack pull.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny McCormick View Post
    Which nerfs? PTR?

Every cookie cutter spec got nerfed. The iteration is about balancing talents, not numbers tuning.

And to be honest, i dont think anyone knows yet how all those changes play out on numbers.