Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Great Metzen interiew on soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/scott-johnson...tzen-interview

A good listen if you have some time.

your avatar captures my feels well.

it's good he's all happy and stuff. will always be sad to not see him at blizzcon and other stuff though.

Deleted
    Is there a text-version available?

If you guys dont listen to the instance (where this originated), you should. Its a great podcast. And Scott Johnson is an awesome host.

Deleted
    So is there anything actually relevant to the future of Blizzard or World of Warcraft in this interview, or is it just about Mr. Thrall and how he's spending his early retirement? I mean, no offense, but I'm not really that interested in his stories about changing nappies and painting landscapes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Is there a text-version available?
    it's "sound"cloud not textcloud

- - - Updated - - -

find a way to download it
    and find something that can convert audio into text
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    So is there anything actually relevant to the future of Blizzard or World of Warcraft in this interview, or is it just about Mr. Thrall and how he's spending his early retirement? I mean, no offense, but I'm not really that interested in his stories about changing nappies and painting landscapes.
    Nothing about the future of blizzard etc, Its about why he retired.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Smetz View Post
    Its about why he retired.
    Oh, OK. So I guess he explains how he tried to push his Thrally Sue vision on people for way too long and realized they thought it was mostly just bullshit, and that the amazing Thrall story and saga he had lived his life creating was finally being shot down by the public at large and the Warcraft community, and he understood that it was way too shallow and pointless to continue, and so he decided it was a good time to just to grab the money and run before he started turning everyone against him, and in the process of doing so, retire Thrall to the background as well?

I doubt he was quite that honest about all of it though. Not only with the public, but with himself. I haven't listened to it, but I'm guessing it's 99% platitudes.

Deleted

I think the title says Great Metzen interiew on soundcloud and not "OMG CHRIS LEEKS BLIZZ STUF OMG COME!!!11!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, OK. So I guess he explains how he tried to push his Thrally Sue vision on people for way too long and realized they thought it was mostly just bullshit, and that the amazing Thrall story and saga he had lived his life creating was finally being shot down by the public at large and the Warcraft community, and he understood that it was way too shallow and pointless to continue, and so he decided it was a good time to just to grab the money and run before he started turning everyone against him, and in the process of doing so, retire Thrall to the background as well?

I doubt he was quite that honest about all of it though. Not only with the public, but with himself. I haven't listened to it, but I'm guessing it's 99% platitudes.
    I think you're projecting quite a lot and being overly bitter.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zegaros View Post
    I think the title says Great Metzen interiew on soundcloud and not "OMG CHRIS LEEKS BLIZZ STUF OMG COME!!!11!
    Yeah, it does claim it's a "great" interview, hence the question.

7+ Year Old Account
    i was kinda hoping he would have said goodbye at this blizzcon, like lead one more, as sort of a goodbye, with a goodbye video to him... for chris.. such a huge guy, it seemed like a way too small goodbye...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    i was kinda hoping he would have said goodbye at this blizzcon, like lead one more, as sort of a goodbye, with a goodbye video to him... for chris.. such a huge guy, it seemed like a way too small goodbye...
    I wish the same. Would be nice to see a "passing of the torch" so to speak. But I guess he was ready to retire and either didn't want to step on toes on the way out or just didn't want to partake anymore. I lean more towards the latter because people seem to still talk friendly about him but at the sametime I did see a lot of his energy levels go down over the course of the last 3 or so. Not to say he was a bump on a log.. but somehow.. the spark felt ever so slightly lessened. But I guess WoD did that to a lot of us.

Metzen is a very creative soul. Sometimes I go back and read the game manuals for the old SC/Diablo/WC games to see if I can spot his early works and it is undeniable that he had a talent for turning an otherwise mundane unit or character description into something that made you want to sit down and play the game for hours on end.

An early retirement is basically the American Dream so good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    If you listen to the interview, Metzen said he couldn't handle going to Blizzcon this year. He was planning to go, but his anxiety attacks started coming back and getting worse as it got closer and he ended up not going.
    Last edited by Tonyman64; 2016-11-18 at 02:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Well, I want the freedom to put poison in food and sell it to anyone I want and call it sugar. It's my freedom to do so, so you can't tell me no.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyman64 View Post
    If you listen to the interview, Metzen said he couldn't handle going to Blizzcon this year. He was planning to go, but his anxiety attacks started coming back and getting worse as it got closer and he ended up now going.
    awww... that sucks..
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyman64 View Post
    If you listen to the interview, Metzen said he couldn't handle going to Blizzcon this year. He was planning to go, but his anxiety attacks started coming back and getting worse as it got closer and he ended up now going.
    Wow. It's hard to believe someone like Metzen would have anxiety. The dude has always come off to me as a rock star of the video game industry.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    Wow. It's hard to believe someone like Metzen would have anxiety. The dude has always come off to me as a rock star of the video game industry.
    In the interview that came up several times, but hearing him describe what he was going through it sounded pretty bad. I was really surprised when I listened to the interview. I was expecting him just wanting early retirement, but it really sounded like the job was slowly killing him. If anything being a rockstar made it worse because he was always trying to do better and what he had already done was so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Well, I want the freedom to put poison in food and sell it to anyone I want and call it sugar. It's my freedom to do so, so you can't tell me no.

I wish people would listen to this and actually LISTEN and get over whatever the fuck anger they have toward this man.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Who would've guessed one of the founding members of Blizzard Entertainment and most universally likable personalities is, at the end of the day, a human being just like the rest of us.

It's too bad the fans have him on a ridiculous, impossible-to-achieve pedestal. A part of me hopes he enjoys the time off and comes back to the scene at some point in the future, but I can't say I'd blame him if he just retires completely.