Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Game Token Pricing

Dont know if Game Token pricing is server specific, but on my server they've jumped from 33K to 59K in just the last few weeks.

Anyone care to give some color on what has changed the supply / demand curve for these?

Gold is simply worth more this xpac than it was in MoP because people are having to go out into the world for resources instead of just farming it from their garrisons.

Token prices are done by region NA, EU, etc.

Deleted
    In EU they've gone from 75k last month to 100k today. Wow.

the blizzcon announcement you can use them for more than just gametime soon and be given a b.net balance so you can use this on faction xfers realm changes etc etc.

you can expect prices to go another 50-100% higher than they are right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockymonkey View Post
    Gold is simply worth more this xpac than it was in MoP because people are having to go out into the world for resources instead of just farming it from their garrisons.
    Surely that would have the opposite affect on token price. Gold is more valuable so more people would be selling more WOW tokens to get that gold... So token supply would increase and so the price of each token would drop. The price of tokens being higher would incentivise people who need gold to sell more of them which would eventually cause the price to drop.

Also people being poorer in game (due to not having the same supply of gold that garrisons provided) would mean there are less people with the gold to buy wow tokens leading to a drop in demand against supply which would again cause token price to drop.

Either people are just selling less tokens lately for reasons unknown or the demand for tokens has drastically increased and the only reason I could think of for that would be players who returned for this xpac buying them up.

Deleted
    Any tin foil hat fans want to join me in thinking blizzard in fact control the cost of the tokens and has nothing to do with supply and demand?

not enough being paid for from the blizz store? raise the in game price to entice people to buy a token and sell it on the AH

Quote Originally Posted by Thzz View Post
    Dont know if Game Token pricing is server specific, but on my server they've jumped from 33K to 59K in just the last few weeks.

Anyone care to give some color on what has changed the supply / demand curve for these?
    Token price is region specific as others have said. On EU servers token price is 98.5k right now.. Was 80k a couple of weeks ago and was around 60k at the start of the xpac. Think i'm going to buy some before they go up any more even though I have about 9 months of my sub left. Really wished id just bought a few dozen when they were 20k when they first arrived.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2016-11-18 at 09:03 PM.

If I am not mistaken, token prices are determined regionally. So all of North America is contributing to the price changes.

As for why it jumped so much, my guess would be that people have seen that, I believe it is in 7.1.5, game tokens will be able to add value to your B.net account, so that they can be used to purchase game services like faction/race/server changes, as well as game time. This is just a guess though, given that 33k would be a pretty cheap price for adding value to get a server transfer or something.

Quote Originally Posted by killeer View Post
    Any tin foil hat fans want to join me in thinking blizzard in fact control the cost of the tokens and has nothing to do with supply and demand?

not enough being paid for from the blizz store? raise the in game price to entice people to buy a token and sell it on the AH
    Why would Blizz need to do that? If not enough tokens are being bought from the store the supply against demand drops does it not ? If supply against demand drops what happens ? Ye price goes up.... So why would blizzard need to manually do what happens naturally and automatically already ?

Supply and demand is exactly what you've just described and this is exactly how it works.

62k at ner'zhul now.. What hell is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    Surely that would have the opposite affect on token price. Gold is more valuable so more people would be selling more WOW tokens to get that gold... So token supply would increase and so the price of each token would drop. The price of tokens being higher would incentivise people who need gold to sell more of them which would eventually cause the price to drop.

Also people being poorer in game (due to not having the same supply of gold that garrisons provided) would mean there are less people with the gold to buy wow tokens leading to a drop in demand against supply which would again cause token price to drop.

Either people are just selling less tokens lately for reasons unknown or the demand for tokens has drastically increased and the only reason I could think of for that would be players who returned for this xpac buying them up.
    I believe Shocky meant the opposite of what he said (bad phrasing, I am guessing). Namely, gold is so plentiful atm that it is actually worth a lot less. People have a ton more and thus are willing to spend a lot more. The fact that gold IS so easy to get means that fewer people are resorting to buying and selling a token for gold, which drops the supply, which ups the price greatly. If a bunch of people see it is going for nearly 60k, they might buy a few and sell them, just to get a nice chunk of gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now, the real kicker: if token prices keep going up, should people looking toward economy buy one and sell it in hopes of having a well optimized output of months/dollar?

I mean, at what point will the $20 become more worth than two months of $15?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapmastery View Post
    62k at ner'zhul now.. What hell is going on?
    Probably the idea that we'll be able to use them for things other than game time. Many people who might not throw down real money for a server change or a fancy mount would easily spend gold on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post

That's far from the case though. Gold is even easier to come by this expansion than it was in WoD. There's an item for followers that allows for 50G per world quest completed. Even at 5 quests a zone, that's 25 quests a day or 1,250 g a day if you bring a follower along with that item. Over a month, that's 37,500 gold a month just for a few, simple dailies.

There are also follower quests that offer upwards of 1,000g for a single quest. Those run 24 hours tops, meaning a potential of 30K gold a month for a single follower doing missions. 5 followers total, that's a potential of upwards of 150K gold a month potentially. That's also a per character amount. Have two max level characters, you easily double your gold income.

Gold is a massive joke to come by. You can make a single potion and sell it for an easy 3 - 4 k gold.

With the announcement of wow tokens becoming able to be converted to account balances.. I can see them increasing in price.

Wow tokens will be able to be used for transfers, faction changes, name changes, etc

Are people living under a rock?

Not only was it announced on MMO champ but it's all over youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kVSA2iJ0JI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dsVkROgR0s (around 7:15 minute mark, can't remember how you crop the youtube link to skip to timestamp)

Just scroll MMO champ below the Method mythic Helya kill screenshot and it's just there.

Basically it means you only needed limited amount of gametime so limited amount of tokens, but bnet balance can be spent endlessly, people who frivolously race / faction change, buying hearthstone packs, buying shop mounts and pets, character boost, digital deluxe upgrades, even whole blizzard games and expansions.
    Last edited by Marrilaife; 2016-11-18 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    That's far from the case though. Gold is even easier to come by this expansion than it was in WoD. There's an item for followers that allows for 50G per world quest completed. Even at 5 quests a zone, that's 25 quests a day or 1,250 g a day if you bring a follower along with that item. Over a month, that's 37,500 gold a month just for a few, simple dailies.

There are also follower quests that offer upwards of 1,000g for a single quest. Those run 24 hours tops, meaning a potential of 30K gold a month for a single follower doing missions. 5 followers total, that's a potential of upwards of 150K gold a month potentially. That's also a per character amount. Have two max level characters, you easily double your gold income.

Gold is a massive joke to come by. You can make a single potion and sell it for an easy 3 - 4 k gold.
    And how much time are you spending farming gold? I estimate 30 minutes to complete 5 WQs (including travel time). That is 2.5 hours for a full clear, and 5 hours for 2 max level toons. 5 hours a day is a lot more time than many people want to spend farming.

Quote Originally Posted by subanark View Post
    And how much time are you spending farming gold? I estimate 30 minutes to complete 5 WQs (including travel time). That is 2.5 hours for a full clear, and 5 hours for 2 max level toons. 5 hours a day is a lot more time than many people want to spend farming.
    Eh, it only takes me 1.5 hrs to do all 3 caches (12 quests) and that's with me afk'ing a lot. So in 5 hours you could get a lot more done than just 50 WQ's.

Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    If I am not mistaken, token prices are determined regionally. So all of North America is contributing to the price changes.

As for why it jumped so much, my guess would be that people have seen that, I believe it is in 7.1.5, game tokens will be able to add value to your B.net account, so that they can be used to purchase game services like faction/race/server changes, as well as game time. This is just a guess though, given that 33k would be a pretty cheap price for adding value to get a server transfer or something.
    The spike happened post 7.1 patch. some element of that maybe combined with knowledge of 7.15 stuff like you mentioned.

prices have been basically flat for a while (maybe slight gen trend up)

so the sudden near double in price was surprising.