Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Well, that's already a blatant lie because you can't use SNAP for prepared food. Nice try though.
    "Food stamp debit card" might be EBT, which is allowed at many restaurants
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    PLease tell me where I said that? Stop making assumptions because you suck at it. You are wrong not all the money goes to welfare recipients just over a trillion dollars a year. I'm part of the group of people who worked for 10 years in a minimum wage or slightly higher. I worked in restaurants mainly and would see the welfare recipients coming in and using their food stamp debit card eating steak while I wouldn't be able to eat there if I didn't get the shit for free. I want us to have social services available for those who are having hard times suddenly and the thing is there are so many hurdles for the people who have put into the system to get the help they need when they need it because of the sponges who refuse to work at all. I have tried to hire people who were on welfare when they put in an application only to have them not show up on their first day because they just have to make it look like they are looking for work. The reason I called you ignorant is because you are. Until you see this shit on a daily basis you can't appreciate how the actual poor have it.
    Resturants don't take food stamps. LOL.

How would any of you survive before social programs? We have created a country full of weak people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Well, that's already a blatant lie because you can't use SNAP for prepared food. Nice try though.
    Used to be able to in some states they may have changed it so not lying. Nice try though. (ok, to be fair it may have been unemployment cards I don't know the difference in appearance.)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm almost certain it's illegal in all cases to accept EBT for any prepared food. For example, I can go to a convenience store and buy chips and drinks but I can't buy any cooked and prepared food like pizza or sandwiches.

Seems like there are exceptions for certain people.

http://www.ebtproject.ca.gov/clienti...freshrmp.shtml

Which makes sense since if you're homeless and don't have a kitchen, you can't really prepare food yourself.
    oh right but I'm a liar though nice try indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's funny because I've been poor and homeless before and now I work in a place where poor/homeless individuals regularly come in looking for job assistance and other related help.

Meanwhile, you saw a guy buy a steak and got your jimmies rustled.

Ok.
    happened way more than once. Also saw food stamps used to buy steak and lobster when I worked at a grocery store when I was in high school

I'm sure they are going to cut everything except defense spending and subsidies to oil companies.

Not one person in this thread would just "give away" their money they earned from working to able bodied people who don't bother to TRY to find work.

Sure, maybe you would once in a while to some homeless person you pass by begging for change, but not on a monthly basis, like food stamps do.

If they are able to go to a food stamp building to collect food stamps, then they are able to go to a work-shop building and contribute some of their time back to the community funding their food stamps.

Anyone against this can instead fund the food stamps from their own paychecks, I say.

Raw steak and lobster aren't considered prepared. I bought steak all the time. Don't agree people should be able to, but if you can why not. It's also why I'm an advocate of removing the why not factor in any ways possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Raw steak and lobster aren't considered prepared. I bought steak all the time. Don't agree people should be able to, but if you can why not. It's also why I'm an advocate of removing the why not factor in any ways possible.
    In places where the majority of the population is on food stamps, the grocery stores seem to really jack up the prices as well. When I lived in one of these areas, there were almost no weekly sales at the local chain grocery store, and it wasn't uncommon to see people buying massive amounts of steak/beef on their benefits cards.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    In places where the majority of the population is on food stamps, the grocery stores seem to really jack up the prices as well. When I lived in one of these areas, there were almost no weekly sales at the local chain grocery store, and it wasn't uncommon to see people buying massive amounts of steak/beef on their benefits cards.
    Interesting. I did only buy sirloins also. To feed a family of 4 something like sirloins and mashed potatoes was sometimes cheaper than other dinner ideas also.

People already do that. It's called taxes.

The only people qualified for food stamps that aren't actively seeking work or already are working, are those that are unable to work. Almost all people on food stamps meet this qualification.
    If that were true, then no one in this thread would be complaining about the qualification being enforced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    If that were true, then no one in this thread would be complaining about the qualification being enforced.
    Most SNAP recipients who can work do so. Among SNAP households with at least one working-age, non-disabled adult, more than half work while receiving SNAP — and more than 80 percent work in the year before or after receiving SNAP. The rates are even higher for families with children.

http://www.cbpp.org/research/policy-...e-program-snap

Nexx is correct -- Most people on SNAP Benefits are indeed working.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Most SNAP recipients who can work do so. Among SNAP households with at least one working-age, non-disabled adult, more than half work while receiving SNAP — and more than 80 percent work in the year before or after receiving SNAP. The rates are even higher for families with children.

http://www.cbpp.org/research/policy-...e-program-snap

Nexx is correct -- Most people on SNAP Benefits are indeed working.
    Most people are employed. Should we stop striving for all people to be employed? You can apply this analogy to probably anything you are going to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people are employed. Should we stop striving for all people to be employed? You can apply this analogy to probably anything you are going to say.
    100% employment is not a reality.

100% employment is not a reality.
    So we should stop trying to create more jobs then right? Screw the people who still need them right?

10+ Year Old Account
    So we should stop trying to create more jobs then right? Screw the people who still need them right?
    Should be working on 100% Unemployment, Full Automation, and a society that takes care of all of its people.

But yes let's continue to shit on the lowest members of our society in the mean time.

Should be working on 100% Unemployment, Full Automation, and a society that takes care of all of its people.

But yes let's continue to shit on the lowest members of our society in the mean time.
    For working on unemployment. For people sitting in their basement doing nothing ever receiving food stamps. What the shit

10+ Year Old Account
    For working on unemployment. For people sitting in their basement doing nothing ever receiving food stamps. What the shit
    So as has been addressed earlier and you decided to dodge the question -- How much money are you willing to spend attempting to catch all these frauds before it starts to cost more than the abuse you're so worked up about?

So as has been addressed earlier and you decided to dodge the question -- How much money are you willing to spend attempting to catch all these frauds before it starts to cost more than the abuse you're so worked up about?
    The thread isn't about fraud. It is about removing food stamps from the unwilling. If you read earlier post with assumed numbers you would know these questions weren't dodged and in fact over long term removing people from this would negate any cost. Even if any cost existed that actually came from a credible source since all people doing interviews just deny food stamps to people who don't provide source of work or proof of looking for work. What they are already doing anyways.

We've already gutted our welfare programs to such an extent that it's unlikely that cutting them even more will actually push anyone back into the workforce. Incentives do matter, but achieving full employment is unrealistic under ANY system so there will always be people on the fringe who need government assistance to survive. Simply letting them die off would not only be cruel and inhumane, but would also cause much more damage through the chaos and uncertainty it would create in society than it would cost to just feed them.

For one thing, working class people in danger of losing their jobs would be far more frugal and thrifty with their finances, because there is no safety net to protect them if they do happen to get laid off. While this might sound like a good thing, the American economy almost entirely centered around consumer spending on stuff that people don't really need but like having. When the poor live in constant fear of losing their jobs and save every penny as a result, the economic impact could be devastating.

Like I've been arguing with you throughout this entire thread, removing the small amount of people abusing the system, isn't worth the money it would save by finding those people and proving that they're abusing the system.
    The thread is about this
    Apparently people are able to get food stamps even though they arent actively searching for work and now its being removed. What do you guys think of this.
    What kind of witch hunt do you believe this to be?

You guys are basically derailing the thread in an attempt to now be right about something the thread isn't about.