Question Are Prot Pallies the best 'All-Rounders'?

We can't ignore pain like a Warrior, and we don't have he health of a big ol' bear. We aren't as scary (threat) as a Vengeance DH or a Bloody DK. But I've yet to tank content where my class was a limiting factor. It feels like we have just enough of everything to be in a sweet spot: we may not be the best tank for the instance, but we're pretty good at all of them.

Disclaimers:
    1) I main a prot pally so I'm obviously biased.
    2) I have raided on most of the tanks, but have never played a BM.

Also note I am not debating whether a skilled player can tank M+15/mythic EN on any of the classes, certainly not here to claim that I'm an elite player; my point is merely that Protection Paladins are in a happy center between the pros and cons of various tanking classes.
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-11-21 at 07:12 AM.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    Prot pala are in a good spot yea. But all tank classes are pretty much it people thinks that BM are bad, however they can (by a skilled player) survive things no one else can.
    I would say all tanks are viable for anything - but all of them shines in different situations
    I'm not saying anyone can just pick up any class and play it to the max, but if you got the skills and willpower any tank can perform good enough to be viable at any content.

15+ Year Old Account
    All tanks are viable for raid content. Bears are currently a little too good and AFAIK they're getting a bit of down-tuning in 7.1.5

You would be feeling what most tanks are feeling. BrM are a slight outlier due to healers needing to know how to heal a BrM, and DH are spiky as hell esp with low gear, but unless you're pushing Mythic raids or high M+ then everyone is going to be worthy a spot.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    Prot pala are in a good spot yea. But all tank classes are pretty much it people thinks that BM are bad, however they can (by a skilled player) survive things no one else can.
    I would say all tanks are viable for anything - but all of them shines in different situations
    I'm not saying anyone can just pick up any class and play it to the max, but if you got the skills and willpower any tank can perform good enough to be viable at any content.
    BrM are pretty insane. They can survive a point blank Odyn spear with no externals as long as they're prepared for it. No other tank can live through a 16m hit like that, and every other tank requires personals or externals to even do the mechanic correctly.

I prefer Warriors and DKs for Mythic + Dungeons on my Disco. I can't judge for raids, since I Warlock in raids. Also, on a side note I've had the worst experience with Prot Paladins, probably because the skill required to do well on them is higher.
    Last edited by muto; 2016-11-21 at 01:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    BrM are pretty insane. They can survive a point blank Odyn spear with no externals as long as they're prepared for it. No other tank can live through a 16m hit like that, and every other tank requires personals or externals to even do the mechanic correctly.
    Wouldn't a pally survive one of those hits too with Ardent Defender? And the next one with Divine Protection?
    I never tanked Odyn with my pally yet, so I'm actually just asking

Quote Originally Posted by One-Of-Many View Post
    Wouldn't a pally survive one of those hits too with Ardent Defender? And the next one with Divine Protection?
    I never tanked Odyn with my pally yet, so I'm actually just asking
    Indeed. You can use BoP too. Bubble the first one, AD the second, BoP the third. You also have sac on a 90 second CD for your co tank. With really good play a paladin can also double SOTR and Eye of Tyr right before running out. Paladins have some really solid ways of dealing with Odyn spear.

One note about AD, you still want to pop SOTR when you're using this, because the spear also does a small nature damage hit and I think that goes off second. It's only like 550k on heroic though, so just SOTR should be enough to survive it.

Also, a bear is pretty good at eating the spear, because their active mitigation works on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Prot pallies can easily live through it; in fact we can bubble one for ourselves then bop one for the other tank.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    OP I'll raise your question a notch.

All pally specs are in a good spot at the moment. This is the first expansion where I have only 1 character at max level and my "alts" are prot and ret instead of other classes. I've even invested a lot of AP (30/29/29) and regularly off spec challenging content (tanking mythic 12, dps-ing Nightbane etc.) along side maining holy.

Ret, Holy and Prot are all top tier imho... Ret seems very strong for a melee in raids and is capable of m15+, holy also. and afaik according to the very top, prot pally is equal level with prot warrior just behind guardian druid

Deleted
    I found my pally tank to be pretty beastly what with being able to go completely immune to a mecchanic and through a talent keeping the boss on me also very good for those big pack pulls but there health does jump a little and you end up working with the healer a little. but to answer the question a little yer I think there pretty high up in being an all rounder can't go wrong if you like being a warrior of the light in the midst of battle

I too think that pally is one of the most well rounded classes currently. I don't like to have them as tanks or tank with it myself but that's just my personal preference. Overall I'd say they are in a very good shape since Legion.

- Nice tanking dps
    - Love the battle healer style, shockadin is insane!
    - Competetive Retri dmg

It'a all good

They piss me off in PvP so yeah I'd say they are

Nerf 'em to the ground Blizzard, nerf 'em!

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely, none of the Paladin specs have been less than average in pretty much ever

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    Definitely, none of the Paladin specs have been less than average in pretty much ever
    I think Death Knights are the best tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sCi...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by mmoc89ec62a408; 2016-11-22 at 01:57 PM.

No, Guardian druid is best tank. At least in terms of raiding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    No, Guardian druid is best tank. At least in terms of raiding.
    Don't forget the brewmaster. They're tanking every other class into the ground when played correctly.