Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Most expensive destroyer in Navy history breaks down

The most expensive destroyer ever built for the Navy suffered an engineering problem in the Panama Canal and had to be towed to a berth in Panama.

U.S. Third Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Ryan Perry says a vice admiral has directed the USS Zumwalt to remain at ex-Naval Station Rodman in Panama to address the issues. The ship was built at Bath Iron Works in Maine.

Perry says the timeline for repairs is still being determined and the schedule for the ship will remain flexible to enable testing and evaluation.

The ship is in the midst of transit to a new homeport in San Diego.

The 610-foot-long warship has an angular shape to minimize its radar signature. It cost more than $4.4 billion.

The ship was commissioned in October in Maryland.

USS Zumwalt passes under the Gov. William Preston Lane Memorial Bridge, also known as the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, as the ship travels to its new home port of San Diego, Calif. Oct. 17, 2016. The Navy announced Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2016, that the ship suffered an engineering problem and had to be towed to a berth in Panama.
    Liz Wolter/U.S. Navy
    Link: https://www.stripes.com/news/us/most...-down-1.440702

It broke down again. It should sail along side with kuznetsov to keep it company.

That's called a teething problem. I'm not a fun of US military expenses, but the Kuzentsov was never really operational in what, three decades ?

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Useless spending like always

You mean, it broke down like so many new military projects? Who would have thought something quite unique and the first of it's kind and thus never used before might have issues!
    /s
    Last edited by Easo; 2016-11-22 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    You mean, it broke down like so many new military projects? Who would have though something quite unique might have issues!
    /s
    nah they should run down to autozone and get some parts

what is wrong with these people?

Buy a few dozen more, because why not right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Buy a few dozen more, because why not right?
    Was that supposed to be sarcasm? Because if it isn't, then you should know that there will be only 3 in total, because the original plan was heavily cut down.

Oh boy, vague clickbait! Let's call the Navy stupid and incompetent lol!

How many kids you put in college with 4.4 billions? Ohh i forgot, the Russians / Japanese / Martians are coming right?
    Also, originally estimated 50k per ammo, now its 800k cant afford its own ammo.

We are talking about some Nobel magnitude retarded crap right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    How many kids you put in college with 4.4 billions? Ohh i forgot, the Russians / Japanese / Martians are coming right?

You just showed again that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Was that supposed to be sarcasm? Because if it isn't, then you should know that there will be only 3 in total, because the original plan was heavily cut down.
    It was. People get bankrupted in waves due to retarded medical costs even with "insurance", and hundreds of billions get spent to useless junk. For what? Keep those muslims in the middle-east with their aks fearing your new toys? Not that they even do.

It was. People get bankrupted in waves due to retarded medical costs even with "insurance", and hundreds of billions get spend to useless junk. For what? Keep those muslims in the middle-east with their aks fearing your new toys? Not that they even do.
    His answer:

It was. People get bankrupted in waves due to retarded medical costs even with "insurance", and hundreds of billions get spent to useless junk. For what? Keep those muslims in the middle-east with their aks fearing your new toys? Not that they even do.
    I like you. You think about the important stuff. Nope, this isn't sarcasm. But it's an unpopular opinion. Because it's chic to hate on healthcare (who needs that, right? We're all healthy...) and it's unpatriotic to say anything else than the USA! chant when someone just as much as mentions the military.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    and this USS Zumwalt is send to San Diego. to shoot at what, mexican drug boats ? totally worth the 4 billions, i say

History. If a nation does not innovate military technology, just because they are ahead, they get surpassed by others. Example, china invented gun powder and used it for cannons. But evantually it stopped using them because they were expansive and everything else they had were more than good enough. Then, they got buttraped by teh British, who actually innovated on its technology. China is investing in its military as well and are catching up to U.S.
    You are forgetting if we spend on insurance, it would only help the poor illigals and immigrants. Not middle class citizens who PAY the taxes. If its not going to be used for the people who actually paid the taxes, then it might as well be used for something else.

@OP, got any data with other brand new ships, and their reliability we can compare with? "Ship needs repairs" doesnt really seem threadworthy.

Deleted
    Care to explain what purpose it serves then? And how the 4.4 billion price tag is justified? Because I reeeeally don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post

quite a lot of immigrant children and anchor babies will be able to attend the colleges, but not middle class children who have to take loans to pay for colleges i.e. the people YOU want to help. Its wierd. The people who pay NOTHING to education fund, get all the help they need. The people who are middle class, have to take out loans, scholarships etc. to fund their education. So, no i don't want to pay for poor people who have lots of children that they can't afford, pay minimal or nothing to the system. There is no shared sacrifice.

Sure, you don't need 4.4 billion (again, thanks to the order size reduction and the ship built with cutting edge tech, but sure, yeah, let's forget how much R&D costs, or how much of the stuff military makes finds it way to civilian market). How exactly do you think USA will keep the dominant role? Be the only superpower? Have the economic leverage? By building subpar things, letting the, eee, "friends" catch up?
    This is why you are not in military.

The world DOESN'T work that way, that you can give all the money to healthcare or education and ignore verything else. Very common mistake people make aka "If I would rule, I would give everything to that or that or that". No, it does not work that way. Everyone needs the money and you HAVE to split it. No buts or ifs.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    History. If a nation does not innovate military technology, just because they are ahead, they get surpassed by others. Example, china invented gun powder and used it for cannons. But evantually it stopped using them because they were expansive and everything else they had were more than good enough. Then, they got buttraped by teh British, who actually innovated on its technology. China is investing in its military as well and are catching up to U.S.
    You are forgetting if we spend on insurance, it would only help the poor illigals and immigrants. Not middle class citizens who PAY the taxes. If its not going to be used for the people who actually paid the taxes, then it might as well be used for something else.
    US is so far ahead of their potential enemies, that it's complete waste of money. Russia for example doesn't have anything to counter with, apart from nukes. Why do you think the nuke card is the first talk you hear from them? Because they don't have anything else worth mentioning. Do you really think it's a great idea to pour ridiculous amounts of money into fancy toys, that will mean nothing, when doing that is exactly what would force enemy hand to nukes right off?

What good are the fancy toys against nukes? Nothing. You need to keep in mind, that if you keep widening the gap of advantage of the conventional warfare power, then you force the other side to rely on the worst option possible, since at that point it's all they have.