Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Business owner refusing service to Trump supporters

There has been so much divisiveness in the two weeks since the presidential election, but an Albuquerque business is going a step further by refusing to have any dealings with Donald Trump supporters.
    Matthew Blanchfield runs 1st in SEO, an Albuquerque-based internet marketing company. He's making his case pretty clear in a blog post, writing “if you are a Republican, voted for Donald Trump or support Donald Trump, in any manner, you are not welcome at 1st in SEO and we ask you to leave our firm."
    In an interview with KOB Tuesday, Blanchfield said he has a moral obligation to stand up for what he believes is right and against injustice.
    “It is my firm belief that we elected a fascist as our next president,” he said.

Blanchfield does admit there are no real means to weed out those unwelcomed clients. He hopes they would come forward on their own and then get out.
    He's certainly not worried about the loss of business. Blanchfield has no guess as to how many clients he might lose, but he said one has left so far.
    “The expense financially to me is immaterial,” he said. “Morality, justice and doing what's correct far supersedes financial gain for me.”
    http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/...mpany/4325531/
    with all the hate and vindictiveness by liberals after Trump won
    It is time we conceder making ones political affiliation a protected class like we do with ones religion
    make it against the law to discriminate against someone based on their political affiliation

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait -- I thought they were supposed to just go elsewhere aren't they? That's what the right keeps telling gays.

Funny thing is that there literally is another thread that complains of the unfairness of not being able to deny homosexuals services.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    It is time we conceder making ones political affiliation a protected class like we do with ones religion
    make it against the law to discriminate against someone based on their political affiliation
    What makes this story even more hilarious to me, is that dude doesn't know what fascist means.

an Albuquerque-based internet marketing company... What better marketing scheme than to say this and get national spotlight.

EDIT: Also, this guy is the literal definition of a bigot. Don't see that mentioned anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Funny thing is that there literally is another thread that complains of the unfairness of not being able to deny homosexuals services.
    But... but.. this book told me I can't serve them. (it actually doesn't)
    Last edited by Sinyc; 2016-11-24 at 01:29 AM.

It's always humorous to watch conservatives demand for government to come in and protect them and their hurt feelers.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is, in fact, illegal.

Bigotry is bigotry, may it be against LGBT or against political ideologies.

EDIT: Some precisions, as this message keep being quoted over and over without the full picture:

I've clarified what I meant: You cannot arbitrarily refuse service. I can't refuse someone because he "looks like a republican". Likewise, republican stores cannot deny someone because "they looks like a democrat". Because how do you define that?

If I was a far-right evangelical store, could I refuse a client because he looks like a democrat, while in reality he's just exhibiting some stereotypical homosexual behavior?

Likewise, if I was a far-left libertarian store, could I refuse a client because he looks like a republican, while in reality he's just wearing a religious cross necklace around his neck?

Both are protected classes: Religions and Sexual Orientation. But unless your customer clearly come forward and state his affiliation, then you cannot arbitrarily make the decision of what define "Republican" and "Democrat".
    The owner also has no clear way to prevent a sale unless the customer come and admit his affiliation of his own will:

Blanchfield does admit there are no real means to weed out those unwelcomed clients. He hopes they would come forward on their own and then get out.
    Last edited by Zandalarian Paladin; 2016-11-24 at 02:45 AM.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Its against my religion to serve people who think other people and religions are lower then them.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post

Is it? Last I checked political views weren't protected -- and LGBT is only a protected class in some states, not federally, so in some cases you actually can discriminate legally.

7+ Year Old Account
    No one should be protected when it comes to an owner refusing service, they should do it for any reason they want. If it negatively impacts the business that is up to them to accept that consequence. This should be the right of any owner

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    No one should be protected when it comes to an owner refusing service, they should do it for any reason they want. If it negatively impacts the business that is up to them to accept that consequence. This should be the right of any owner
    I'm not going to debate this for the 293403289084th time...but
    1) This was tried before and it was a miserable failure. Businesses, as it turns out, don't go out of business when they are dicks to people.
    2) Small town America makes this completely unreasonable as an approach.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post

It's not illegal. Political ideologies are not a protected class. I think Seattle is the only place that considers political ideologies a protected class.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Wait -- I thought they were supposed to just go elsewhere aren't they? That's what the right keeps telling gays.
    either civil rights for all or civil rights for none. you decide

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    It's not illegal. Political ideologies are not a class. I think Seattle is the only place that considers political ideologies a protected class.
    you tell me the difference with ones religion and political affiliation

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not believe that a person should be forced to give up an inherent right, freedom of association, just because they're trying to put bread on their table.

Yes, that means some ass-hat in Alabama will be able to deny service to African Americans. Yes, it means bakers can refuse to make cakes for gay weddings. Yes, it means liberal business owners can refuse to serve Trump supporters.

It's not the Government's job to force us all to "like" each other. It's the Government's job to ensure that our rights are protected. There is no right to buy stuff from wherever you want. It comes down to this: The Government is overriding peoples inherent rights for "feelsies."

I'm sure this post is going to get hit with all sorts of hate replies, what about hospitals, cops, firemen, etc.?!?!1??1!! (Those positions are public service ones in which an individual already knows that they have to serve the entire public before joining.)

Flame away, you're not going to change my opinion.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Is it? Last I checked political views weren't protected -- and LGBT is only a protected class in some states, not federally, so in some cases you actually can discriminate legally.
    https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/t...-of-appearance

It's touchy, but there could be a strong case where the refusal is arbitrary. Trump supporter can be many things and can easily be misinterpreted and be transformed into a completely arbitrary way of filtering their clientele.

To be legal, they'd have to make very clear guidelines which has a direct impact with customer. So it would be fine to refuse a customer who wears a "Make america great again" hat if you have a no hat rule, but you cannot on the basis that he is supporting a party.

EDIT: I want to precise, it is actually legal to refuse a customer on political beliefs, but you cannot arbitrarily decide who support and who don't. So unless they come forward and literally tell the owner or even the clerk that he is a republican/democrat/independant, then there's a strong legal case for arbitrary discrimination.
    Last edited by Zandalarian Paladin; 2016-11-24 at 01:41 AM.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

- - - Updated - - -

you tell me the difference with ones religion and political afflation
    The dude can just found the new church of Trump affiliate to it and have his support for Trump be protected by the nanny state.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure you know what a civil right is.

10+ Year Old Account
    You seemed to have entirely missed my point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Judging people for choices they make is not the same as judging someone for choices they didn't make.
    I've clarified what I meant: You cannot arbitrarily refuse service. I can't refuse someone because he "looks like a republican". Likewise, republican stores cannot deny someone because "they looks like a democrat". Because how do you define that?

If I was a far-right evangelical store, could I refuse a client because he looks like a democrat, while in reality he's just exhibiting some stereotypical homosexual behavior?

Likewise, if I was a far-left libertarian store, could I refuse a client because he looks like a republican, while in reality he's just wearing a religious cross necklace around his neck?

Both are protected classes: Religions and Sexual Orientation. But unless your customer clearly come forward and state his affiliation, then you cannot arbitrarily make the decision of what define "Republican" and "Democrat".
    Google Diversity Memo

- - - Updated - - -

Difference of degree. If these individuals express cult like behavior to Trump they should officialiaze it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Judging people for choices they make is not the same as judging someone for choices they didn't make.
    I thought being straight was a social construct?