Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

GMO labeling supporters fined $320K over campaign disclosure

An Iowa-based organization that supported a Washington state ballot measure to require labeling of genetically modified foods in 2013 has been fined nearly $320,000 over campaign finance violations.

Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson said Thurston County Superior Court Judge Gary Tabor issued the fine Monday against Food Democracy Action. The group must also pay the state's legal fees and trial costs.

Earlier this month, another Thurston County judge ordered the initiative's opponents, the Grocery Manufacturers Association, to pay $18 million in civil fines for concealing the true sources of $11 million in contributions received from some of the nation's biggest food and beverage companies.

Ferguson said Food Democracy Action collected almost $300,000 from its supporters and transferred $200,000 of that to support Initiative 522, but didn't register its political action committee or identify its 3,100 donors until after the election. The initiative failed.

The organization did not immediately return calls seeking comment.
    http://www.kwwl.com/story/33768231/g...ign-disclosure

A stupid group; with stupid people; run a stupid campaign; and run it stupidly.

Why am I not Surprised?
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2016-11-23 at 12:52 AM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why is an Iowa based group trying to change laws in Washington?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    A stupid group; with stupid people; run a stupid campaign; and run it stupidly.

Why am I not Surprised?
    So the Pro GMO forces got fined $18 million.

The Anti GMO guys got fined $320k.

Which one is supposed to be the stupid one?

Because if they can get it changed in one state that opens the door to changing it in others.

They might have suspected a high anti GMO percentage of the population might have lived in Washington. Most likely the Seattle area.

GMO shit should be labeled
    PROUD TO BE CALLED A CONSPIRACY THEORIST

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Anti-GMO stupid idiots, you just made the list.
    Ok Jericho.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    So the Pro GMO forces got fined $18 million.

The Anti GMO guys got fined $320k.

Which one is supposed to be the stupid one?
    The Anti-GMO ones, by dint of being anti-GMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    So pretty much:
    An organisation, which has a cause i don't agree with, has been fined for buerocratic "errors", which have nothing to do with the cause at hand.
    And now you came here to gloat over that?

This tells more about you, than them.

I'm not pro or anti GMO; but i'm for GMO-labeling. The customer should have more information when choosing what he wants to buy; regardless for whatever misguided reason he seems to think A is worse than B.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    The Anti-GMO ones, by dint of being anti-GMO.
    Im gonna go with the guys trying to hide 11 million in funding. Not only dumb, but makes you look more shady. They were too embarrassed to be funded by the makers of Sunny Delight for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    I'm not pro or anti GMO; but i'm for GMO-labeling. The customer should have more information when choosing what he wants to buy; regardless for whatever misguided reason he seems to think A is worse than B.
    Why should GMO labeling be required tho? There is no evidence that it's harmful; there's boat loads of evidence on the contrary. So what's special about GMO products that they should require a label? Until there is clear evidence that it could be harmful (which there will never be because there's already decades of data), then it shouldn't require a label specifying that.

If people really want to know more about the product they can research the brand on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why people advocating for GMO labeling are considered anti-GMO... They are only asking for labeling, not for banning/restricting GMOs. As silly as this idea is, a person supporting GMO products very well might be advocating for this as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Why should GMO labeling be required tho? There is no evidence that it's harmful; there's boat loads of evidence on the contrary. So what's special about GMO products that they should require a label? Until there is clear evidence that it could be harmful (which there will never be because there's already decades of data), then it shouldn't require a label specifying that.

If people really want to know more about the product they can research the brand on the internet.
    For the sole reason of providing 1st hand information to the customer.
    Just how often do you go to a shop, see something you may be interested in, pull out your phone and google it?
    Like i said in the quoted post:
    The reason might be misguided, but information needs to be provided without additional work.

Another matter: Do you really belive what you read on the internet? In a lot of cases the internet is a bad source.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Not sure why people advocating for GMO labeling are considered anti-GMO... They are only asking for labeling, not for banning/restricting GMOs. As silly as this idea is, a person supporting GMO products very well might be advocating for this as well.
    Indeed. People just want to know what they are buying without having to go trough the hoops of researching the whole thing and filtering data on how likely it is to be true; which can be very difficult with the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Requiring a label adds credibility to the unfounded notion that GMOs are bad. It damages the reputation of a very promising science that will in all likelihood be vital to feeding the world as the population continues to grow.

Companies that want to advertise as non-GMO can feel free to do so, but there is no need to require labels just to satisfy people who aren't scientifically literate. I live in Washington and had to convince several friends of mine to vote against I-522.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anti-GMO people are retards anyway. So I find this hilarious.

Proposing laws for different states isn't unheard of- see groups like ALEC

In this case, it's likely that there are non-GMO growers in Iowa could stand to profit by supporting laws like this around the country. Washington was a good place to try and start something like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Proposing laws for different states isn't unheard of- see groups like ALEC

In this case, it's likely that there are non-GMO growers in Iowa could stand to profit by supporting laws like this around the country. Washington was a good place to try and start something like this.
    As opposed to the Pro-GMO group based in Washington DC, that spent $11 million dollars trying to influence the vote. Then got fined $18 million for trying to conceal where the $11 million came from.

I know all the cool kids like to always say "buh both sides are bad"... we're not even getting that now.

I mean growing non GMO crops seems like harder work. It seems rational that that non-GMO growers want to distinguish their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    I know all the cool kids like to always say "buh both sides are bad"... we're not even getting that now.
    There's no false equivalence to be had here. Non-GMO are simply worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Requiring a label adds credibility to the unfounded notion that GMOs are bad. It damages the reputation of a very promising science that will in all likelihood be vital to feeding the world as the population continues to grow.

Companies that want to advertise as non-GMO can feel free to do so, but there is no need to require labels just to satisfy people who aren't scientifically literate. I live in Washington and had to convince several friends of mine to vote against I-522.
    Denying a label adds credibility to the unfounded notion that GMOs are better. They don´t have higher yield per acre, so how are they a very promising science that will in all likelihood be vital to feeding the world?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Denying a label adds credibility to the unfounded notion that GMOs are better. They don´t have higher yield per acre, so how are they a very promising science that will in all likelihood be vital to feeding the world?
    Not sure how often you walk into a grocery store, but it would be much easier to label everything that was "non-GMO" than it would be everything that is GMO. And shit loads of products already have a "non-gmo" label added to the box by either the manufacturers or the grocery store itself to appeal to people with limited knowledge of the subject.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours