Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Hate Crimes on the rise at Wisconsin college since election

According to a letter sent out by Vice President for Student Development Tony Chambers, a student at the college started a campaign to let students and others express their feelings about the outcome of the election by placing notes on a table in the commons.

One note—bearing the phrase “Suck it up, pussies!”—was placed on the inside window of the Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion, eliciting outrage within the traumatized academic community.

“A great deal of fear, sadness, and anger among students, faculty, and staff resulted, especially for those that gather in the [office space],” Chamber asserted. “The message was hateful and harmful toward members of our community. It violated every value that this institution considers to be at its core.”

In response to the incendiary note, staff from the student conduct, human resources, Title IX, and diversity offices were brought together so they could decide how to respond to the “hateful message.”

According to Chambers, “the group determined that the message constituted a Hate Crime, based on guidelines from the Jeanne Clery Act and state law.”

He adds the group acted according to college policy and reported the incident to the Madison, Wisconsin Police Department, which is currently investigating it as a “Hate Crime,” and that it is also being investigated through the college’s Student Conduct Process.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8430

That's almost as devastating and racist as that one Twitter picture of "Trump!" on a door.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by zerocarbs View Post
    In response to the incendiary note, staff from the student conduct, human resources, Title IX, and diversity offices were brought together so they could decide how to respond to the “hateful message.”
    All of whom were - presumably - paid for their time. Which, I suspect, is a major factor in people ensuring that things remain divisive so certain organisations continue to have a reason for employment.

The comment itself is pretty tasteless but it could just as easily be considered to be a joke in poor taste. There's been a lot of hate filled messages aimed at Trumpa and his supporters - is that being taken just as seriously by those involved? I'd love to know.

A hate crime against what? Pussies?

Covert micro-aggressions and overt macro-aggressions appear to have taken on new fervor in higher education since our national election,” Chambers writes. “The frequency, boldness, and severity with which hateful acts have been occurring has, for many, signaled a new era of intolerance, fear, and mistrust in higher education.”
    There isn't enough palms or faces in the world .....

Everyday inches closer to the day I build a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness and tell the outside world to go to hell.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Hate crime? Oh how America is falling.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    aHAHAHAHA. Oh lawdy lawdy lawd.

Deleted
    Why do so many problems around this election evolve around students and universities?

When I was getting my degrees I was focussed on just that. Or are these the universities with "fun" courses?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Why do so many problems around this election evolve around students and universities?

When I was getting my degrees I was focussed on just that. Or are these the universities with "fun" courses?
    No it's Teenagers with the privilege of getting a Tertiary Education in a Western Country wasting their time crying about how everyone around them is privileged.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2016-11-24 at 08:36 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    No it's Teenagers with the privilege of getting a Tertiary Education in a Western Country wasting their time crying about how everyone around them is privileged.
    Yeah it's odd how the generation that has access to everything moans and complains.

Yeah it's odd how the generation that has access to everything moans and complains.
    To paraphrase Jordan Peterson, university students in a western country are in the .01% of the world population in terms of "privilege."

And yet they concentrate on vilifying the people in the .0001% that have it better than them. It's absolutely disgusting, if not entirely myopic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethris View Post
    To paraphrase Jordan Peterson, university students in a western country are in the .01% of the world population in terms of "privilege."

And yet they concentrate on vilifying the people in the .0001% that have it better than them. It's absolutely disgusting, if not entirely myopic.
    Is it human nature to do this, I wonder.

I guess we always compare what we have to others and more often to the ones that have more than those with less.

Critical thinking. I seriously doubt the authenticity of this story. Other stories run by the website who first reported on this include:

- "TPUSA has launched a new website documenting professors who “discriminate against conservative students and advance leftist propaganda in the classroom.”"
    - "GW art school director vilifies Trump in school-wide email"

And the twitter-feed of the author @themomillennial is basically a stereotypical right-wing to alt-right -ish feed with mentions of Milo Yiannopoulos, anti-femenist tweets, and bashing on Muslims in terms of "Today in Jerusalem, Israel 20,000 marched for gay pride. Take notes, liberals. In Gaza gays are dragged through the streets and killed."

Then if you google the story the first page contains links to your usual suspects, fake news artists and conspiracy theorists like milo.yiannopoulos.net and infowars.com.

The only remotely seeming legit (or so I thought) news source covering this story seems to be the Washington Times, but their source is the article by @themomillennial. Though actually I didn't really know much about the Washington Times, so after doing a bit of research it turns out that "the paper promotes all sorts of wingnut idiocies curiosities, including various pseudosciences (creationism, anti-environmentalism, global warming denial, false claims about abortion and abstinence-only sex education) and bigotry (homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, anti-secularism)". And apparently it has had a history of employing a decent collection of crazy people:

Sam Francis, the white nationalist who they fired after he got a little bit more racist than usual. Found a warmer spot to roost at the Council of Conservative Citizens before he died.
    Frank Gaffney, Islamophobe extraordinaire and "Creeping Sharia" conspiracy theorist.
    Jeffrey T. Kuhner, gibbering wingnut demagogue who thinks Obama is every historical tyrant under the sun and then some, also has a severe case of psychological projection that could give even Bryan Fischer a run for his money.
    Peter LaBarbera, rabid homophobe, now heads "Americans for Truth About Homosexuality.

It may well be that the textual content of the letter is correct, but that the post-it of "suck it up, pussies! " is fake in order to twist this story from reality into loony town. I guess these right-wing sites more often than they make shit up out of the thin air twists and distorts reality in order to push their agenda. Either way, I call bullshit.

This world, people are starting to act like Trump or any mention of him is similar to the raising of a confederate flag.

How pathetic is that

AHAHAHAHAHAh. Suck it pussies! Love it
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

That's it, I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
    We need a new war, a brutal one, and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    It may well be that the textual content of the letter is correct, but that the post-it of "suck it up, pussies! " is fake in order to twist this story from reality into loony town. I guess these right-wing sites more often than they make shit up out of the thin air twists and distorts reality in order to push their agenda. Either way, I call bullshit.
    How inconvenient it must be for you to not have this story fit into your narrow world view. Nevermind the source includes a photo copy of the letter from Mr. Chambers and the sticky note in question. Just deflect and cry 'fake news!' That seems to be the new MO.

I have a hard time believing the polices are actually wasting their time on this... How hard would they have to work to find someone that did this on the basis of a crime that cant actually be prosecuted. I can believe the college stupid asses however.

It's just the major right-wing target dummy these days. It annoys me too (yes, as a leftie), but I think it gets wildly over-exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by zerocarbs View Post
    How inconvenient it must be for you to not have this story fit into your narrow world view. Nevermind the source includes a photo copy of the letter from Mr. Chambers and the sticky note in question. Just deflect and cry 'fake news!' That seems to be the new MO.
    More importantly is the poster in question put forth the term 'critical thinking' as if he was going to be impartial only to go off on a rant about the 'Right'.

It's a shame that political discussions have become less about facts and civil, mature debate and more about throwing buzzwords at either side of the fence. =/