Eh, normally I don't really side with the ragey mouthbreathers but they sorta have a point on this.

Making jokes about domestic violence is always in bad taste, and this isn't any kind of exception. It's not funny, it is lame, and it should be removed from a game that markets itself as family-friendly.

If it was a "girlfriend" item it probably would have been talked about on NPR or CNN already. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by splatomat View Post
    Making jokes about domestic violence is always in bad taste, and this isn't any kind of exception. It's not funny, it is lame, and it should be removed from a game that markets itself as family-friendly.
    Your life must be pretty sad and pathetic, like your dictionary skills. An ex-boyfriend has nothing to do with "domestic" simply because he's an EX, so maybe you want to say "ex-domestic violence"...

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    "Didn't read the thread but decided to comment anyway"
    "Did read the thread and fail to see why people care"

Did you comment for the sake of commenting?

Avatar and Sig by Serryn. Amazing TY

Not going to comment on domestic violence and gender equality, but I find it funny a simple NPC name can trigger world war 3.
    Nobody seems to mind having 2 corgis battling to death in the pet arena or the fact we are killing each others in battlegrounds or the fact we are killing creatures or neutrals in order to level. That doesn't spawn any problems of violence...a dummy name triggered you...

WOW!!

I couldn't give two shits about this, personally (not offended, no opinion), but Bliz could've easily sidestepped this headache by making it an "Effigy of Your Ex" toy, made it look like the sackdolls they already have in game (ie gender neutral), and kept the quote the same.

I'm pretty sure the idea of inflicting violence on something that looks like someone you hate has been around forever, even used in many children's cartoons. I think it's assigning it a gender that has sent people off the deep end...
    Last edited by Destian; 2016-11-29 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    uh what...?
    thats exactly what being a homophobe means
    if you use somones sexual preference as AN INSULT then its AN INSULT
    thats like me saying "Your a filthy N***** what? im a racist? no im not, what the fuck you talking about?"

to call somone a "faggot" if you are a homophobe and think nothing of homosexuals then its an insult, if your not a homophobe then thats a pointless word to say, as your not saying it as an insult...
    Hatred != Fear
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Hatred != Fear
    Here is the definition of homophobia from dictionary.com.

"unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality". I think hatred fits the antipathy part.

Deleted
    Dear Elune, is this post still on going?

Deleted
    Eh, normally I don't really side with the ragey mouthbreathers but they sorta have a point on this.

If it was a "girlfriend" item it probably would have been talked about on NPR or CNN already. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    But mass murdering entire species and races, looting and pillaging, setting things and people on fire and so on is all totally ok, right?

Get over it. Its a video game. If you get offended by something, you shouldn't be playing any games. Hell, you shouldn't be even online.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelorra View Post
    Your life must be pretty sad and pathetic, like your dictionary skills. An ex-boyfriend has nothing to do with "domestic" simply because he's an EX, so maybe you want to say "ex-domestic violence"...
    so says the man who raises another person's son.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wrote a post about this on my Facebook page, but it's inappropriate for this forum. Considered not participating in this discussion at all, but I think I'll just summarize it for the sake of providing my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with this toy. If someone is offended they just have to take a look back at the last 4000 years of history. We still have a long way to go in terms of gender equality, and a good place to start is with those of us who have penises being able to take a joke. This does not propagate violence against men. An ex-girlfriend dummy, on the other hand, could propagate violence against women and it is not the same. We cannot discuss equality and ignore history and culture. Yes, domestic violence happens against men. Yes, it can be horrible too. Yes, it has to be equal before the law. No, it is not equal and it won't be for a long time, precisely because of history. Let's not pretend that us men are in a tragically unfavorable position when we're not.

Having said all of that, I guess Blizzard will change the name or remove the item completely. Since the game serves as a sanctuary for people of all different backgrounds, I agree that it *might* not have a place there just on the off-chance that it might hurt men who have actually been victims and could feel hurt. Still, a big part of life is learning how to cope and deal with events in your life, and a random item such as this one is not offensive or demeaning. I don't like borderline pointless parallels, but it would really be like someone being offended by in-game daggers because they were stabbed and lived through it. Or any other item that could trigger a bad memory. That's not how life works because if it did, we'd all be living under our blankets scared of anything and everything. Again, let's not pretend everything is a case for outrage and let's look at things from all perspectives.
    My magic will tear you apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    I wrote a post about this on my Facebook page, but it's inappropriate for this forum. Considered not participating in this discussion at all, but I think I'll just summarize it for the sake of providing my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with this toy. If someone is offended they just have to take a look back at the last 4000 years of history. We still have a long way to go in terms of gender equality, and a good place to start is with those of us who have penises being able to take a joke. This does not propagate violence against men. An ex-girlfriend dummy, on the other hand, could propagate violence against women and it is not the same. We cannot discuss equality and ignore history and culture. Yes, domestic violence happens against men. Yes, it can be horrible too. Yes, it has to be equal before the law. No, it is not equal and it won't be for a long time, precisely because of history. Let's not pretend that us men are in a tragically unfavorable position when we're not.

Having said all of that, I guess Blizzard will change the name or remove the item completely. Since the game serves as a sanctuary for people of all different backgrounds, I agree that it *might* not have a place there just on the off-chance that it might hurt men who have actually been victims and could feel hurt. Still, a big part of life is learning how to cope and deal with events in your life, and a random item such as this one is not offensive or demeaning. I don't like borderline pointless parallels, but it would really be like someone being offended by in-game daggers because they were stabbed and lived through it. Or any other item that could trigger a bad memory. That's not how life works because if it did, we'd all be living under our blankets scared of anything and everything. Again, let's not pretend everything is a case for outrage and let's look at things from all perspectives.
    That's not gender equality. That's called misandry.

Calling people "ragey mouthbreathers" is about as infantile as it gets. People have a right to express their distaste on a subject, and people shouldn't look down and dehumanize them for it.

I don't find it offensive in the slightest. Bunch of fragile millennial losers.

They should put an ex-girlfriend one to beat up though for us lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Spoon View Post
    Here is the definition of homophobia from dictionary.com.

"unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality". I think hatred fits the antipathy part.
    Merriam-Webster:
    Phobia: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation

We really going to have a "definition battle"?
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Deleted
    I am deeply saddened by what the internet has become. Can people please just learn to take a joke? I like the idea, it's funny in a way. Does that mean I'm a supporter of domestic violence or gender inequality? No it doesn't.
    Special snowflakes will be special snowflakes I suppose. SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Merriam-Webster:
    Phobia: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation

We really going to have a "definition battle"?
    I showed you the meaning of the word after you tried saying it was used inaccurately. You put up the definition of a different word. It's not a battle, you just didn't know what the definition of what homophobia was. I thought I'd help you with that.

The word phobia is generally paired with a latin prefix to define what the fear is of. If we were going by that standard homophobia would be fear of the same, not of homosexuals. Homophobia is a term people use to describe hate and/or fear of homosexuals. I hope this clears up your confusion on the word.
    Last edited by Furious Spoon; 2016-11-29 at 06:38 PM.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Any man who would want to beat his ex-girlfriend is a pathetic piece of shit and should be castrated. Ex-es should be ignored and replaced with a newer and better model. That's the best revenge. Let the ladies spurned try to beat their revenge out of us, if it helps them. Like they can hurt men, lol.

Also, being politically correct is retarded. It actually means common sense is lost for favor of abstract and presumed principles or behaviours/stances against stuff life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    this PC culture needs to end, getting outraged at nothing is so ridiculous i am outraged.
    And everybody knows that violence against men is funny or cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Any man who would want to beat his ex-girlfriend is a pathetic piece of shit
    Any person that wants to beat an ex-friend is a pathetic piece of shit. There are abusive woman, strong women and weak men in this world. It's not always alpha male vs. helpless little woman.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Utigarde View Post
    Imagine if it was an "Ex-Girlfriend Punching Bag".
    Yeah that doesn't fly in this new "equality world" we're living in.... punch a guy in the face = EQUAL.... punch a girl in the face = OMGWTFBBQ!!!OFFENDED!!

I really dislike that to be equal, we must make men suffer a shiiitload and make fun of it!.... is that the new equality? :/