Poll: Should Flag Burning Be Illegal?

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Burning the flag is a form of hate speech. Why is everyone supporting hate speech?
    Do you assume that everyone here who objects to banning burning the US flag also supports expanding hate speech laws? Because you'd probably be wrong.

If you want to use this as a place to bash the ctrl-left, by all means, but actually try to see if the people you're attacking on this point have actually said it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Not really. The flag represents the country and the ideals held up by its leadership. Why do you think revolutionary groups always fashion their own flags? Because they feel the government's flag doesn't represent them.

Hey, what a coincidence, see the first part of my post.
    That's just your interpretation. Revolutionists also choose a different flag so they don't get mistaken. They want to be differentiated so they ofcourse will use their own. Not always will they use a completely different flag though, but a slightly different one, for example a non monarchy movement in say... Spain will remove just the crown and shield of the flag.
    A country is a country because of both its citizens and its leadership, because ofcourse, its leadership is still formed by citizens chosen by citizens. There are better ways to respond to different views and opinions, but burning flags is the epitome of disrespecting other peoples views and completely shuting out any type of discusion.
    Last edited by Allenseiei; 2016-11-29 at 10:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    No because flag worship is retarded
    I grew up in a military household. I understand what that flag and, by extension, burning it, means to a lot of people. Having said that, I agree.

People are entitled to express their opinions; even rude and disrespectful ones. Provided that it is done in a safe and responsible manner, flag-burning is a form of protesting your government. To make it illegal would be a legitimate violation of the First Amendment. (Unlike all those Twitter/Facebook/Youtube people complaining about their deleted posts/account.)

This little stunt by Trump is nothing more than an attempt to beat patriotism into everybody who doesn't agree with him. There is nothing of value gained by proposing this.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2016-11-29 at 11:01 PM.

No. First Amendment. End of discussion.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, maybe burning flags in public could be a health/fire hazard.

It is legal, the supreme court says so, even Scalia signed up for that one. This is just Trump being Trump. Let's call it a cry for attention

Outlawing flag-burning is far more un-American than burning the flag is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it should be illegal. Also criticizing the fuhrer and failing to yell "God bless America!" 10 times a day should get you impaled at the center of Times Square!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

It's a piece of cloth. Whatever meaning you put into it is irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly the only person allowed to desecrate the flag and everything it stands for is Donald over the next four years with his very actions and words.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    What exactly does "knock down" mean?
    Beat the shit out of you with a bag of oranges.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeslol View Post
    Were you in the Military? No
    Are you from America? No

Then you wont realize the value of what that means to others.
    I wasn't in the military. I was born in Tennessee and lived in the US all my life.

Service in the military isn't mandatory to have input in politics. This isn't Starship Troopers.

It shouldn't be illegal. No one should be able to criminalize someone else's activity because of hurt feelings.

That being said, there is a way Trump could do this. Back a constitutional amendment that strips citizenship from anyone who desecrates the flag. If it's a constitutional amendment, it is by definition now constitutional.

I wish him luck. He'll need it to get that done.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Of course it should be illegal. Also criticizing the fuhrer and failing to yell "God bless America!" 10 times a day should get you impaled at the center of Times Square!
    I like boiling people in oil! Boy, those were the days!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    I like boiling people in oil! Boy, those were the days!
    Sounds like a good ole fashioned BBQ!

Were you in the Military? No
    Are you from America? No

Then you wont realize the value of what that means to others.

Our countries have flags too, we just don't worship them. I think its a shit move and insulting but its just a piece of cloth at the end of the day, The last thing america needs is more people in prison for non crimes.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I agree with your dad on the first amendment. I'm talking about how the guy said it's just a flag, like it means nothing. To others it does mean something.

Again, it's under the first amendment but i'm trying to point out that some people are saying it's just a flag. It's not.
    To me, it's just a flag. To that veteran, it's a symbol of what he fought to protect. To those terrorists, it's an idol of the enemy.

Just like saying... to me, this is a sandwich. To that homeless man, it's what he needs to survive. To my co-worker, it's gross because it has mayo.

Deleted
    Flag burning should be illegal. Vietnamese workers need to get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Flag burning should be illegal. Vietnamese workers need to get paid.
    If Vietnamese workers need to get paid, flag burning should be legal. More flags which are burnt = more flags that get purchased for the purpose of being burnt. Banning flag burning would put those workers out of business as flag sales will go down. WHY DO YOU WANT TO FIRE HARD WORKING FLAG MAKERS?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    If Vietnamese workers need to get paid, flag burning should be legal. More flags which are burnt = more flags that get purchased for the purpose of being burnt. Banning flag burning would put those workers out of business as flag sales will go down. WHY DO YOU WANT TO FIRE HARD WORKING FLAG MAKERS?
    Ah, I see your point, but shouldn't flag burning then be illegal because it supports foreign business and is therefore anti-american?

Ok, I'll try again. The supreme court has already ruled on flag burning, and they say they're fine with it. Case closed.