Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    "Cyberbullying" is not a Jedi mind trick. She made a conscious decision to end her life. That's on her. Sorry-not-sorry.

It was a statement of fact.
    This went beyond "cyberbullying". However, even if it hadn't, or if you'd rather define it in a way that continues to make you feel superior to a mentally abused teen, it is the actions of others who caused her to come to the conlcusion that ending her life was a viable option. This didn't happen in a vacuum.

Tighten up.

The "verbal injury" bit aside, I don't disagree. If "cyberbullying" is illegal, they should be charged. My point was merely clarifying that the "bullies" are not responsible for her suicide, only the "bullying".
    verbal injury? isn't that the media's job? like 24/7 just verbally assaulting someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I agree that people should take responsibility for what happens to them. There are things you can do such as changing your number or going to the police. Fake profiles of you is identity theft and easily traceable by the police.

However, all the support in the world is sometimes not enough to stop you from feeling alone. The extent of support you usually get when depressed ranges from telling you to be happy to being understanding for a little while before they get sick of your shit.
    There are mental health professionals for a reason. Seek therapy if you are aware of your depression.

Depression isn't a rare thing these days. There are coping methods and medication which can help.

When you are involved in counter culture and undergroud scenes, you find many with mental health issues. There is tons of support out there if only one has some strength to reach out and open up.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    here we go an example of how to deal with it, not cry in silence then put a gun to your chest thats ridiculous.
    Did you get bullied as well during highschool? If so how did you deal with it?

Right in front of the family......

Im not sure why so much of the topic turned toward the suicide, its actually not the real issue here. The issue is that some of those offense are Federal crimes to being with, like identity theft. The police not acting on it for a full year is unacceptable period. If the police attempted but were blocked by laws, its clear there is a problem in the system, since the law cannot stop actual crimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I agree that people should take responsibility for what happens to them. There are things you can do such as changing your number or going to the police. Fake profiles of you is identity theft and easily traceable by the police.
    Very true. It stumped me as to why the police couldn't track these people.

However, all the support in the world is sometimes not enough to stop you from feeling alone. The extent of support you usually get when depressed ranges from telling you to be happy to being understanding for a little while before they get sick of your shit.
    That is true too. If a person can't mentally take care of themselves and are constantly relying on others for support, what can you do? You should not be responsible for their willingness to live. Support yes, but to have to maintain that burden is wrong and why those people need to learn how to stand on their own feet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    People suffering from mental health issues do not make "conscious" decisions. Their ability to make decisions is literally impaired. Read a book.
    Unless there's something about this story that wasn't in the article, using "mental health issues" to describe a victim of "cyber-bullying" seems a bit inane.

As long as there is starving children in haiti and africa, dying of disease and murder, i couldn't care less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Im not sure why so much of the topic turned toward the suicide, its actually not the real issue here. The issue is that some of those offense are Federal crimes to being with, like identity theft. The police not acting on it for a full year is unacceptable period. If the police attempted but were blocked by laws, its clear there is a problem in the system, since the law cannot stop actual crimes.
    The problem is the general consensus of adults and probably even the cops is when it comes to "bullying" and high school harassment cases they're put off because "Oh kids will be kids, they'll stop eventually", "grow a thicker skin" etc. They're not put as a priority because this is about the last thing people think will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    They used her identity as well. So getting off, does not fix anything. Those are serious federal crimes.
    good point.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless there's something about this story that wasn't in the article, using "mental health issues" to describe a victim of "cyber-bullying" seems a bit inane.
    It's probably for the best that you're not interested in kids given how you're brushing off mental illness as a non story. How scary!

10+ Year Old Account
    The "verbal injury" bit aside, I don't disagree. If "cyberbullying" is illegal, they should be charged. My point was merely clarifying that the "bullies" are not responsible for her suicide, only the "bullying".
    No, they certainly didn't pull the trigger. But who is responsible? Does it even matter? People that commit suicide are typically not of sound mind. It's likely that she was severely depressed.

If I throw a cigarette out my car window, and it catches some brush on fire, and that fire burns down a house and kills a family, am I responsible? To what extent? I should have certainly known that my actions could have resulted in bodily injury, right?
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Even considering suicide bar life threatening circumstances coming your way is a sure sign of mental illness.

In front of the family, huh? For some reason feels even more inconsiderate than doing otherwise.

I guess she received the ultimate attention she craved all along though.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, they certainly didn't pull the trigger. But who is responsible?
    For her death? She is.

Does it even matter?
    Nope.

People that commit suicide are typically not of sound mind. It's likely that she was severely depressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Even considering suicide bar life threatening circumstances coming your way is a sure sign of mental illness.
    I'm a bit skeptical about grouping all suicides under the "mental health issues" umbrella. But then again, you'd have to be bat-shit to kill yourself over "feels". /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Much like a broken hand, seek medical attention.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    She's really not bad looking. Shame she believed the bullies lying to her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's probably for the best that you're not interested in kids given how you're brushing off mental illness as a non story. How scary!
    Can you please stop using the label kids on someone who's 18 years old. 18 means you're an adult in the eyes of the law. You can't have the cake, eat it and label it as a vegetable.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!