Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Hard sciences have been ignored in favor of frivolity in college.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The point being so long as there is welfare, there is no need to whine you are only getting paid what you are actually worth.
    And your point is horseshit because you and I both know people are paid far less than they are worth in many cases. The difference in you and I is I acknowledge people aren't paid what they're worth even if they have skills...you constantly lie about your own self-worth to attack other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    you constantly lie about your own self-worth to attack other people.
    It's really all this boils down to: they base their only self worth on how much better they are doing than those under them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    It's really all this boils down to: they base their only self worth on how much better they are doing than those under them.
    Which is a terrible metric because there's so many that are barely above those below them. I find it odd that we have so many people on this forum that are in pretty good financial situations who advocate for wage increases or a Universal Basic Income to cover the jobs that will soon be lost to automation while those who are barely treading water or below the surface are the ones using whatever talking point they can muster up to attack the Working Class.

Im curious, what is the minimum wage in usa?
    And at what point is someone in poverty?

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Hard sciences have been ignored in favor of frivolity in college.
    STEM, in particular CS and Engineering, are pretty fucking impacted in most places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    :If those jobs are "unimportant" why do the rest of us partake of their product? Cross-threading here, but if you can't afford to make, or afford the time to make, your own cheeseburger, isn't that McD employee doing a service for you? I wouldn't call being fed to be "unimportant."

Edit to add: I don't do my landscaping, roofing, deck work, etc. Those guys are probably making close to minimum, but I hire them because I don't have the time. Heard?
    I'm sure I could've phrased it better, but I was not describing these jobs as "unimportant", but meant that a proper/formal education was not a requirement for the job.

26 could be considered a Millenial. Went into the Military at 19 right out of highschool making <20k a year and now at 26 I'm in a skilled trade as a pipefitter and I am on track for my 2nd year of >50k. Not everyone needs college and not everyone should go to college invest time in skilled trades and you reap what you sow.

Roofers around here make ~$15+ to start and eventually top out at over $25.
    I'm pretty sure they get paid with Subway sandwiches and maybe some cash under the table around here. Strange. "Miguel" seems to have a lot of cousins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    I'm sure I could've phrased it better, but I was not describing these jobs as "unimportant", but meant that a proper/formal education was not a requirement for the job.
    Sir, I will hire you on the spot to work in one of my kitchens. If you have the attitude, skill, demeanor, poise, stamina, and work ethic to survive more than a few hours, I will love you for life.

Just saying.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I'm pretty sure they get paid with Subway sandwiches and maybe some cash under the table around here. Strange. "Miguel" seems to have a lot of cousins.

- - - Updated - - -

Sir, I will hire you on the spot to work in one of my kitchens. If you have the attitude, skill, demeanor, poise, stamina, and work ethic to survive more than a few hours, I will love you for life.

Just saying.
    Thank you? I'm fond of the job I have now though.

Thank you? I'm fond of the job I have now though.
    Be thankful for that. Because I'd have you scheduled 55-60 hours per week (yes I pay overtime), with Monday your only day off.

No clue, why are you asking me this lol? I'm sure there is plenty of actual data on this topic you can look up.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

I never understood how putting people fresh out of high school in the same group as people who've been out of college for 10+ years is even remotely a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be thankful for that. Because I'd have you scheduled 55-60 hours per week (yes I pay overtime), with Monday your only day off.
    Hopefully he understands what you're getting at.

10+ Year Old Account
    And your point is horseshit because you and I both know people are paid far less than they are worth in many cases. The difference in you and I is I acknowledge people aren't paid what they're worth even if they have skills...you constantly lie about your own self-worth to attack other people.
    People are paid what they are worth, that is how open job markets work. Its this thing called supply and demand. When you have a supply of workers that exceeds the demand for said workers, they do not get paid very much. I held the same view when I was working as a security guard years ago. I didnt complain about what I made.

Hopefully he understands what you're getting at.
    Please, enlighten me.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are paid what they are worth, that is how open job markets work. Its this thing called supply and demand. When you have a supply of workers that exceeds the demand for said workers, they do not get paid very much. I held the same view when I was working as a security guard years ago. I didnt complain about what I made.
    That's nice dear. Except I mentioned skilled workers that are actually in demand that are underpaid. Your reading comprehension seems to be lacking for some reason. Do you want to go the typical route and bash my profession, my union, and the people in it now like you always do?

Please, enlighten me.

BloodElf does own a restaurant and he pays his employees fairly but he does make them work a lot. In those hours of work you'll get the "education" in how to handle that kind of workplace. Just because people are in what you would consider an unskilled/uneducated job doesn't mean they are. They're busting their ass providing a service that people require when they show up there to eat. Those people require a livable wage.
    Last edited by Captain N; 2016-12-04 at 03:02 AM.

Please, enlighten me.
    It's not a walk in the park, no matter how menial you view the job.

It's not a walk in the park, no matter how menial you view the job.
    Ok, sure. So, why wouldn't your employees just go pick up a job at say, McDonald's instead of your restaurant? I mean, maybe I'm grossly ignorant, but from the sounds of what your employees are required to do, it seems like an entry level McDonald's gig would be a lot easier, right?

Do those employees require/deserve/merit a "livable" wage?

Ok, sure. So, why wouldn't your employees just go pick up a job at say, McDonald's instead of your restaurant? I mean, maybe I'm grossly ignorant, but from the sounds of what your employees are required to do, it seems like an entry level McDonald's gig would be a lot easier, right?

Do those employees require/deserve/merit a "livable" wage?
    There's a thing called pride. "I make this" versus "I heat this" in a sense. I think I posted in the McD thread that I do pay $15 or more for employees proven to be valuable.

I seriously will challenge you. Go to work in a scratch restaurant. It's called a "stage" (pronounced "stahj"). Most people don't make the cut. Then we get people complaining about prices of food, having to tip, blah blah blah. Trust me. Spend 10 hours (typical shift) in one of my kitchens, and you'll cry. Unless you're the right person.