Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Nothing has been changed. The military has very limited power internally. Army engineers are only involved here due to the cheaper availability of engineering expertise. They don't have ultimate power though.
    Any projects that crosses or come within the vicinity of a river require Army Corps of Engineers permit. Any projects that have the potential of impacting non-exempt aquifers require CoE permit. Any projects that require going through a NEPA process require CoE permit. I have been involved with dozens of bridge and pipeline river crossing projects in the last 23 years, and CoE review process was required for every single one of those projects. No exception.

The president and congress can put tremendous political pressure on CoE, but they can not reverse the decision outright.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    I'd love us to build new nuclear plants but we allow the vocal and ignorant to prevent us doing what the rest of the western world does.
    The problem with nuclear isn't so much the operation of the plant. First, relative to other sources of energy, the cost to build and operate a nuclear plant is pretty expensive compared to the return on the investment. Second, what do you do with the spent fuel rods? Yucca Mountain was blocked largely because it was in the Senate majority leader's state.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Nah, the pipes will be built to control the oil so it wont get into the water system. Trace air particles have not stopped life expectancy from increasing overall.
    With the amount of oil disasters the US has had in the past 10 years, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    "North Dakota's sole member in the House of Representatives, Rep. Kevin Cramer, a Republican, expressed his disapproval in a scathing statement released Sunday that slammed President Barack Obama as well as the protestors."

What I don't really understand is why Republicans and business wants to build pipelines from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico when they could just build refineries in North Dakota. I would think that the number of jobs from refineries that operate all the time would be greater than the few jobs needed to build the pipeline that will be gone after it is done. With the time it has taken to try to get the pipelines approved, they probably could have built several refineries. You also wouldn't have to worry about supply problems caused by hurricanes.
    Because they don't actually care about creating jobs. They care about their kickbacks and making their rich friends richer.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    With the time it has taken to try to get the pipelines approved, they probably could have built several refineries. You also wouldn't have to worry about supply problems caused by hurricanes.
    Pretty sure there are more regulatory hurdles for a refinery than a pipeline. And once you build said refinery, you need pipelines to ship out the refined products anyway.

And Reid and the Democrats are out of power. Protestors try to interfere with nuclear waste and they'll face real canons instead of water ones.
    You're saying that a Republican Administration is going to use lethal force on protesters?

And Reid and the Democrats are out of power. Protestors try to interfere with nuclear waste and they'll face real canons instead of water ones.
    I'd love to see that happen.
    And the resulting shitstorm that will occur afterwards.

Guards shoot trespassers on site if they enter a secure nuclear area. Under no conditions can anyone pose a threat to the safe storage of radioactive material. You don't get to throw tantrums when you don't get your way and threaten others.
    "Interfere with nuclear waste" and "trespass" are very different things. If you're trying to make arguments for lethal force be specific.

And no, they don't necessarily "shoot on sight". Megan Rice is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post

Thoughts? I, for one, am glad that the Corps was willing to rethink their stance after all this time. Goes to show that public pressure can have an effect.
    goes to show there is weak people in charge and if you throw a temper-tantrum you might get your way. its sickening and disgusting, if there was a real problem it should not have been approved in the 1st place. what a waste of money, and like he said it makes others wary of building infrastructure. i hope this horrible precedent has not been set.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    goes to show there is weak people in charge and if you throw a temper-tantrum you might get your way. its sickening and disgusting, if there was a real problem it should not have been approved in the 1st place. what a waste of money, and like he said it makes others wary of building infrastructure. i hope this horrible precedent has not been set.
    Weird spelling for protest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Good, goes to show that protest really does work. Right wing hates all protest unless it's by God Loving™, Gun Owning™ 'mericans walking into starbucks and wal-mart with ARs strapped across their back.
    and liberals hate all protest unless its by...

ill let you finish the rest, lets see if you are honest.

of course neither side likes the others protest.

as an independent i dislike most protests. they seem to be very narrow minded

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love us to build new nuclear plants but we allow the vocal and ignorant to prevent us doing what the rest of the western world does.
    I wonder what economically powerful entities have a vested interest in keeping Nuclear power from replacing them.

It's really quite interesting. The oil industry has the bleeding heart liberals opposed to nuclear energy and the anti-science conservatives denying climate change for them. Both sides of the aisle using their misinformation to obfuscate and retard the competition for them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

and liberals hate all protest unless its by...

ill let you finish the rest, lets see if you are honest.

of course neither side likes the others protest.

as an independent i dislike most protests. they seem to be very narrow minded
    "I'm a hypocrite but so are other people" is a weird defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I'm a hypocrite but so are other people" is a weird defense.
    I'll take "whataboutisms" for 200, Alex.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Until you're poisoned by crude oil in your drinking water, that is.
    not sure if serious. once you hear the spill has happened you dont drink the water. im sure the company responsible will supply them and make it all better. and that is worst case scenario, most likely nothing ever happens.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    It's still being built, IDK why people are whining about this.

Oil people get their pipeline, Indians don't have it run on their land, everyone is (mostly) happy?

- - - Updated - - -

IF ONLY THERE WERE CLEANER ENERGY ALTERNATIVES.
    Oh well, I guess we tried everything.
    Right? I heard of one method that could've been great had we gotten started a while back. Something about nuclear energy, IDK.

not sure if serious. once you hear the spill has happened you dont drink the water. im sure the company responsible will supply them and make it all better. and that is worst case scenario, most likely nothing ever happens.
    Yeah, I'm sure. Oil companies are well known for never screwing over people.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Given the major advancements by Tesla recently with their new Solar roofing tiles and Wall Batteries, I wonder just how efficient things are going to get on that front.

The oil system only needs about a 15% loss of market share to Renewables/Nuclear and the disruption will start becoming self-sustaining paradigm shift. In fact, if you look at investment strategies, Shell/Suncor etc. have been scrambling for diversification.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2016-12-05 at 03:32 AM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    The U.S. needs to catch up to other countries and invest research into Thorium Reactors asap.

Like, seriously Canada is further ahead than the U.S. at this point.
    That seems counterintuitive.

Isn't the EHF (Enviormental hipster fagget) rate higher in Canada than the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    My understanding was that the company had claimed that any furthrr delays would effectively shut the project down as their various contracts with suppliers would.be in jeopardy due to the delays. At least thats what they argued in court.