Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    That seems counterintuitive.

Isn't the EHF (Enviormental hipster fagget) rate higher in Canada than the US?
    Yeah, but we made the distinction that Nuclear was safer in the long run than burning shit

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    "I'm a hypocrite but so are other people" is a weird defense.
    uhh im on neither side. i think your both idiots, liberals and conservatives. especially if they are extreme. i was pointing out the hypocrisy in his post. odd you didnt comprehend, you seem smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    uhh im on neither side. i think your both idiots, liberals and conservatives. especially if they are extreme. i was pointing out the hypocrisy in his post. odd you didnt comprehend, you seem smarter.
    Well the important thing is you've found a way to feel superior to both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/04/politi...ine/index.html

Thoughts? I, for one, am glad that the Corps was willing to rethink their stance after all this time. Goes to show that public pressure can have an effect.
    W didn't listen about the Levys, what makes you think Chump will listen about this? Run the fucking thing through Arlington already. Just as fucking respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
    Hopefully Trump does something about this in January.
    Like what exactly?

10+ Year Old Account
    and liberals hate all protest unless its by...

ill let you finish the rest, lets see if you are honest.

of course neither side likes the others protest.

as an independent i dislike most protests. they seem to be very narrow minded
    Not all protests are created equal. I'll gladly take some hippies in bum fuck nowhere protesting a pipeline against some fat hicks trying to act like hard asses, intimidating people with guns in stores with children.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And all it took was weeks of people suffering in the freezing cold, being treated like criminals, and one person losing an arm. At least I think it was only one.

Good job guys.
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Not all protests are created equal. I'll gladly take some hippies in bum fuck nowhere protesting a pipeline against some fat hicks trying to act like hard asses, intimidating people with guns in stores with children.
    Lot of people have a hard time differentiating between protests they disagree with and "rioters" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    The U.S. needs to catch up to other countries and invest research into Thorium Reactors asap.

Like, seriously Canada is further ahead than the U.S. at this point.
    lol does this yahoo understand how the pipelines work? you really want usa to be less dependent on oil? and you're from canada? scratches head.

also thorium reactors are not a big deal, molten salt/liquid filled thorium is. gj canada though, we are impressed you are capable of being almost important in one area.

Yeah its just power generation via nuclear fission nbd

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    not sure i seen that protest, its illegal to brandish a weapon or "intimidate" others with it. if there is video of this they should be prosecuted to the fullest of the law.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the important thing is you've found a way to feel superior to both.
    being rational on all subjects definitely is superior to thinking like others cause i want to fit a group.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    W didn't listen about the Levys, what makes you think Chump will listen about this? Run the fucking thing through Arlington already. Just as fucking respectful.
    i would have no problem if they ran it under arlington cemetery. the native american claim that is it ancient burial grounds mean shit to me. there was a war and they lost. those lines were redrawn long before i was born. their only legit claim is the fact the pipe runs under a river they use. but i think with todays technology that is not a serious threat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/04/politi...ine/index.html

Thoughts? I, for one, am glad that the Corps was willing to rethink their stance after all this time. Goes to show that public pressure can have an effect.
    Do you have the link for what the Asst Secretary ACTUALLY said, I'd like to see that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    My biggest issue with the pipeline is still the use of eminent domain, something that's not really being addressed by most people. The army and law enforcement blinked first, and it will come back to haunt them in the long run. They are saying they will re-route the pipeline, but have not properly stated why there is a justification to change the route. Either the choice is completely arbitrary, and they are weak, or they knew it was unsafe from the beginning, and were trying to push it through, anyways. The government put themselves into a very bad position over this.
    Pipeline parallels a current existing natural gas one, additionally, ETP didn't use any eminent domain, they leased the right of way for all the private land they are building on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nexellent View Post
    about time, now to just persecute the cops as war criminals for using chemical weapons.
    chemical weapons? I need to see a citation for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    "North Dakota's sole member in the House of Representatives, Rep. Kevin Cramer, a Republican, expressed his disapproval in a scathing statement released Sunday that slammed President Barack Obama as well as the protestors."

What I don't really understand is why Republicans and business wants to build pipelines from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico when they could just build refineries in North Dakota. I would think that the number of jobs from refineries that operate all the time would be greater than the few jobs needed to build the pipeline that will be gone after it is done. With the time it has taken to try to get the pipelines approved, they probably could have built several refineries. You also wouldn't have to worry about supply problems caused by hurricanes.
    Pretty sure that the DAPL pipeline runs from ND to near Patoka, Illinois, but you might want to check that. And I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that no hurricane has ever struck Patoka, Illinois.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

being rational on all subjects definitely is superior to thinking like others cause i want to fit a group.
    "I'm the one being rational" is the "Everyone is the hero of their own story" of internet debates.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Nah, the pipes will be built to control the oil so it wont get into the water system. Trace air particles have not stopped life expectancy from increasing overall.
    pipelines leak and break all the time, since usually the budget for maintenance is aimed at "fix leaks" rather then "prevent leaks", especially a few years down the line when budget cuts have to be made due to the next economic crisis. they are no different in this regard then most other big infrastructure in the US, they are built upto spec but then over time the maintenance budget gets slashed and problems start happening.

most small leaks don't meet the requirements to be reported/classified as accidents/incidents, but over the years pipelines cause a lot of problems.

just because they are the least worst option doesn't make them amazing.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-12-05 at 04:42 AM.

"I'm the one being rational" is the "Everyone is the hero of their own story" of internet debates.
    so what is your rational thoughts on why this pipe should be stopped. anicent burial ground is not rational, the fear of contaminating the water is very real. but like i said i think the chances of this pipe breaking/leaking with todays technology and close enough to the water they are concerned about is way too low to stop progress. notice how there was no science on the side of the protestors. all feelings... how is that rational?

also keep in mind a parallel gas pipeline is already in the ground. why no protest then? is the problem only crude? lets be rational yo.
    Last edited by oxymoronic; 2016-12-05 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    pipelines leak and break all the time, since usually the budget for maintenance is aimed at "fix leaks" rather then "prevent leaks", especially a few years down the line when budget cuts have to be made due to the next economic crisis. they are no different in this regard then most other big infrastructure in the US, they are built upto spec but then over time the maintenance budget gets slashed and problems start happening.

most small leaks don't meet the requirements to be reported/classified as accidents/incidents, but over the years pipelines cause a lot of problems.

just because they are the least worst option doesn't make them amazing.
    actually that is exactly what makes them amazing. its all math and mathematically pipes are better. its like flying vs driving, isnt flying AMAZING!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Everyone who says Trump can do something about this. They have contracts with deadlines and each time it gets moved out can cost Billions not to mention at least one bank has already pulled its funding.

Also this wouldn't have been an issue if the pipeline woulda went through Bismark like originally planned, but can't have it going through those neighborhoods right ?
    yeah lets route a pipeline thru a metro area of 120k when we can route thru the middle of nowhere... im sure that is much easier... can we be rational here guys? please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since 2006 their have been just over 3000 significant spills over 200 this year alone

http://www.ecowatch.com/pipeline-spills-2061960029.html

10+ Year Old Account
    But I thought they were safe and so much better like flying vs driving??? I'm going to need some consistent talking points here.
    One pipeline,
    or 562 fully loaded train cars per day,
    or ~1700 semi trucks pulling oil tank trailers per day.

You decide which would be the safest.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    So well just reroute the pipeline through Bismark like originally planned then?
    Didn't the USACE nix that route? It's hilarious to me that there is an existing natural gas pipeline that has been at the location of the protests for 33 years, crossing under the same river parallel to where DAPL was planned and there is no protest over that.
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2016-12-05 at 05:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'm known for being a calm and non controversial poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I'm not a right winger, not sure why you mentioned me.
    LOL you people are on a roll today

Yeah, doesn't seem like anyone gave a fuck until the vets started rolling in. And of course in this thread we have the usual right-wingers coming out of the woodwork to shit all over people who served just so they can feel superior to someone, anyone, anything. Pathetic but not surprising in the least.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov