Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Backpedaling - where to bind?

Hey guys,

So, I haven't had backpedaling bound for years and figured I wanna level a tank, which is kinda forcing me to bind it.

I know I can have specific keybindings for the character, but still skeptical regarding where to bind it. "S" is usually reserved for abilities as Blink, Charge, Roll, as well as Disengage etc. This is something I don't happily change.

I'm wondering if anyone here has their bound to a key that is rather unusual, but still very manageable?

Need ideas!

I promise, this will not result in another scrubby tank.. probably will..

I have problems seeing anything that'd be as natural of a backpedal button as S, if you're using WAD/WQE for movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalize View Post
    Hey guys,

So, I haven't had backpedaling bound for years and figured I wanna level a tank, which is kinda forcing me to bind it.

I know I can have specific keybindings for the character, but still skeptical regarding where to bind it. "S" is usually reserved for abilities as Blink, Charge, Roll, as well as Disengage etc. This is something I don't happily change.

I'm wondering if anyone here has their bound to a key that is rather unusual, but still very manageable?

Need ideas!

I promise, this will not result in another scrubby tank.. probably will..
    Maybe use shift+s or the scroll wheel on your mouse.

Unless you're tanking, don't need Backpedal at all.

Me as a Hunter I too bound S to something else, and honestly never bound anything to backwards walking.

10+ Year Old Account
    No reason to backpedal. Turn ~90 degrees and run sideways.

Otherwise use something out of the way, like v or c

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    Unless you're tanking, don't need Backpedal at all.

Me as a Hunter I too bound S to something else, and honestly never bound anything to backwards walking.
    But he literally said he was picking up tanking.. Like, in the second line.

When I still played, my active bindings (the abilities that I used in every fight) were bound to Q, E, F, Z, X, C and maybe a few other keys in the immediate area of my WASD keys. I also used SHIFT versions of these bindings, since you obviously need more than 5 or 6 keys.

That was always more than enough for my bindings, both as a tank and DPS. The rest of my bindings were either 1-5 or were clicked (specifically, pre-fight buffs were clicked).

I couldn't imagine ever rebinding S. There aren't nearly enough active abilities that you should ever need to rebind your primary movement keys.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

First time in my life i read that ppl have unbinded the S to move backwards... wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    No reason to backpedal. Turn ~90 degrees and run sideways.

Otherwise use something out of the way, like v or c
    You'd backpedal while tanking, like the OP mentions is the purpose of this whole thing. Running sideways means you're likely to get mobs hitting you from behind, ie unavoidable.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shonist View Post
    First time in my life i read that ppl have unbinded the S to move backwards... wtf
    It's actually a pretty common misconception that backpeddling is always bad. It's actually quite a useful tool if you're tanking and just have to move a boss or group of trash mobs a couple feet. If you have to travel any significant distance though it's much better to turn 90 degrees and run sideways.

If you're DPS it's not really useful but unbinding the button is taking a couple extra steps into crazytown.

Deleted
    With the ability prune that happened in both WoD and Legion I don't see how you could be lacking key-binding options. Just re-bind it to S, there's really no other key that should come more naturally than that.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    You'd backpedal while tanking, like the OP mentions is the purpose of this whole thing. Running sideways means you're likely to get mobs hitting you from behind, ie unavoidable.
    Wat. If you're tanking and you have to move the boss a decent distance you absolutely do not backpeddle, you can run away from the boss at an angle and still dodge/block/parry/etc attacks.

You shouldn't ever backpedal, so there's no need to bind it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Wat. If you're tanking and you have to move the boss a decent distance you absolutely do not backpeddle, you can run away from the boss at an angle and still dodge/block/parry/etc attacks.
    Ever heard of tanking more than one mob at a time? There's absolutely cases where backpedalling is superior to strafing when tanking. Not knowing this means you're a bad tank.

Obviously that's not to say that you should never strafe or run while tanking either. Thinking that's what the above meant means you're a bad tank.

Deleted
    back paddling not realy needed 100%, some quick turns when the skills are off cd which need to be casted facing some mobs or player.
    in case of player not when he's right on top of you ;p
    in a case of mobs it's obvious it's not a biggy when pulling lots already.

Deleted
    Pretty much every PVPer does it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    this does however since cataclysm reduced the hitbox of mobs vs tanks cause for some very odd movement sometimes, like the boss running trough you and standing behind you backpeddling 1 ft fixes that.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalize View Post
    Hey guys,

I haven't had backpedal bound in 6 years. I've tanked at all levels of raiding - from top-1000 guilds to the casual guild I'm in now and various in betweens. I can only think of two instances where I had to backpedal and I bound the down arrow to it. They're rare enough it's not a huge deal. (Snake in the ZG 5-man and some weird method we handled a raid boss - can't remember which.)

You make crescents, no mob should ever be behind you. If you have enough mobs that they COULD be behind you, due to teh way the AI works & the way mobs spread out, you're more apt to get back hit by backpedaling than making strafing-crescents. You also move slower back pedaling, which is worse for M+. Outside of using a strange way to do a boss fight or the stupid snake in ZG, I can't think of any reason to backpedal.

I suggest it to anyone who's struggling with keybinds to use ASDFGRTYHZXCV since they're so easily reached.
    Last edited by Yoshimiko; 2016-12-06 at 06:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you get hit from behind you turned too much. If you're new, you can just turn ~45 degrees and alternate which side you run, and it'll still be faster than backpeddling

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmi View Post
    You shouldn't ever backpedal, so there's no need to bind it.
    There are definitely times where it's useful when tanking.
    - Strafing sets you up to being flanked if you tank multiple enemies.
    - Strafing short distances can often cause the NPC to run past you and hit you from behind.
    - Strafing even short distances sometimes brings you further than intended if you only need to make a small position change.

You should never back-pedal any large distances, no more than a couple of feet, and only ever to slightly reposition whilst keeping your foes at bay, but it's definitely not a case of "you should never do it".

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    If you get hit from behind you turned too much. If you're new, you can just turn ~45 degrees and alternate which side you run, and it'll still be faster than backpeddling
    Anywhere where movement speed matters, yes strafing is obviously superior. For just positioning though, backpedalling definitely has a place.