Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Did Ad Block die?

All of a sudden today, MMO-C is unusable again, due to massive amounts of high volume audible ads.

Did Ad Block die, or did they just figure out a temporary way around it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    ABP is working just fine.
    It hasn't been for me for a while now, had to install Ublock.

I don't mind supporting sites with there adds and shit. But there is so many on MMOC it slows down loading pages and all on my PC by a huge amount.

Highly annoying.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Ad blocking generally works on a blacklist.
    If something is not on that list, such as if another provider is used then it won't be blocked.
    Adblock even whitelists some it is paid for, though supposedly those meeting certain "acceptable behaviour" rules.

Personally i am not seeing this issue, but I am using uBlock Origin, and Ghostery instead.
    See if that offers any improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    It hasn't been for me for a while now, had to install Ublock.

I don't mind supporting sites with there adds and shit. But there is so many on MMOC it slows down loading pages and all on my PC by a huge amount.

Highly annoying.
    I agree.
    The problem is not going to go away if we report annoying ads.
    Because I have been seeing those same annoyances now for years on this site amongst others and they keep coming.
    This blaming us for not reporting is quite frankly sickening, and shows that those running this site and others just don't give a damn.

Actually tell the providers that NO, you won't accept ads which are detrimental to the experience.
    And go elsewhere.
    Until the sites using the advertisements actually speak with their wallets, this won't change.
    And therefore I will use ad blocking until I see fit to do otherwise.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-12-07 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

adblock stopped working for 90% of ads for me a few weeks ago. installed ublock, kept adblock. not seeing any ads at all anymore, anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not just AdBlock, uBlock has been having issues as well. It's disconcerting since the videos are blocked, but the audio for them still comes through.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    I have both ABP and Ublock, and as of two days ago these audio ads have been freaking me out. MMOC is not whitelisted for me
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Do not know if there is any truth to this.

I randomly heard in another thread that Ad companies could pay AdBlock to unblock them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I wasn't so lazy, I'd figure out the URL the ads were coming from and add a custom filter... but I am, so I wont.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Opera's built-in blocker seems to be holding up fine, Adblock had problems before so I uninstalled it.

noscript is the most important add on

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I actually made a thread about this a little while ago (was locked though). Users that replied also suggest switching to uBlock:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ck-not-working
    Again, uBlock is doing the same thing. The videos are hidden, but the audio for them comes through.

-Kujako-

MMO-C is the only web site I have ever encountered that seems to ONLY have LOUD ads that wait a while to do their thing. I walk away from my PC, and I hear all this commotion when every tab fires it's ad up at once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    MMO-C is the only web site I have ever encountered that seems to ONLY have LOUD ads that wait a while to do their thing. I walk away from my PC, and I hear all this commotion when every tab lights it's add up at once.
    It's because they are large and take awhile to load. Kind of an issue with bandwidth caps.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It resolved it for me. Switched over and didn't see anymore ADs.
    Yes, I don't SEE them, but I can still HEAR them. Other head hole.

-Kujako-

what are ads?

my ABP is working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I have both ABP and Ublock, and as of two days ago these audio ads have been freaking me out. MMOC is not whitelisted for me
    Man, really shows how shitty this site's owners ads are when a moderator has two adblockers to deal with it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Turned off ublock and reloaded the page and didn't see any difference. Adblock, for me, seems to be working fine atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have also experienced something odd going on. It started yesterday and startled the shit out of me. I wasn't happy either, may get Ublock. I get that websites need ads for revenue and such but the way things are coming in is just bad.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It say's a lot when a mod even more so a mod from the computer part of the site refuses to whitelist MMOC.

IMO, MMOC needs to get its shit together about the ads.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    The only thing on MMO-Champion that goes through my adblock is a random border ad, that makes both sides of MMO-C (basically the green edges) black and clickable to some random site. It also causes the rest of the site to shrink because the black ads are bigger than the green border currently is.