Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Pitt Bulls Violent by Genetics or by Upbringing?

I personally think that pitt bulls simply have violent genetics in them due to selective breeding, and no amount of care and proper upbringing is going to change genetics no matter how much people want it to.

How many pit bulls have you personally owned?

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever been around a pit bull? I don't think you've ever been around a pit bull.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy4123 View Post
    How many pit bulls have you personally owned?
    None, but I have taken a few classes on biology enough to understand natural selection and how traits are transferred.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    I personally think that pitt bulls simply have violent genetics in them due to selective breeding, and no amount of care and proper upbringing is going to change genetics no matter how much people want it to.
    This is another example of you placing your opinion over fact.

Pits and related breeds are not inherently more violent due to genetics. The issue is a combination of: people breeding them for fighting/defense, people not understanding that despite their peaceful nature, they are powerful dogs that can kill, and three, morons who think saying hi to a dog is thrusting their hand in its face.

None of that is genetic and all of that is social.

I bet u think all black people are the same way as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This is another example of you placing your opinion over fact.

Pits and related breeds are not inherently more violent due to genetics. The issue is a combination of: people breeding them for fighting/defense, people not understanding that despite their peaceful nature, they are powerful dogs that can kill, and three, morons who think saying hi to a dog is thrusting their hand in its face.

None of that is genetic and all of that is social.
    Well said.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
    Have you ever been around a pit bull? I don't think you've ever been around a pit bull.
    Yes, I have. The dogs are generally more aggressive than other dog breeds even when not abused or mistreated.

Yes, I have. The dogs are generally more aggressive than other dog breeds even when not abused or mistreated.
    And you would be wrong.....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I'd say that, by default, they have (as you stated) violent genetics as a breed.. but, with the proper care and upbringing, they can turn out to be pretty good, non-violent companions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that they are not more aggressive. Pit breeds have been historically used as nanny dogs for children in multiple cultures. They're great arounds kids and other people. However, they have a badly maligned reputation (from people like you) that lead other people to believe they're aggressive and react accordingly. Add in their powerful stance, jaws, and musculature, and people purposely abuse them to make them aggressive to "defend their property".

There are breeds of dogs that are genuinely more aggressive, but you'd be surprised to know the most aggressive dogs are the smallest, like chihuahuas. The difference is that a chihuahua can't kill you.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a teen I had a friend with an aunt who had two pitbulls, and I was horrified to be in the same space as them because of the stigma surrounding that breed. But they ended up being 2 of the sweetest dogs I've ever seen, because they were raised with love and patience.

So I don't think they are more violent by 'default' than any other dog, but pitbulls have such unthinkable bite force that the attacks and such from them have more devastating consequences. If a chihuahua could rip the scalp off a child, you'd see a lot more chihuahua attacks in the news.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

7+ Year Old Account

Very simple answer : pit bull is a relatively vague definition, which is more associated to the morphology of a dog than any breed (IE, ''pitbull'' is a broad term). Therefore, speculating on which make them more agressive is a bit meaningless.

None, but I have taken a few classes on biology enough to understand natural selection and how traits are transferred.
    Hot Damn!

I have taken Biology and Chemistry. Does that make me a Bio-Chemist?

It seems like everyone in the city out here has a pit. They are some of the nicest dogs I've met when properly trained. Granted, I would never own one because I have children. Not because I think they are violent animals, but they are powerful with a strong bite. If they get bit it would likely be their own fault for cornering or mistreating the dog because they are little and don't know better, but that dog could still do damage even if it didn't mean to do so.

You are right and wrong. Pitbulls are breed to fight other dogs and show more aggression toward other dogs and less to humans (since their handler has to separate two fighting dogs in the pit, so it was important that the dog was very loyal to humans even during a fight). That's why pitbull owners pretty much all report that their pit is a very friendly and human loving dog. But if you train a dog in brutal ways, you can make them aggressive against humans, too. That's more a problem of the owner and not so much the dog breed itself.

"There's no scientific evidence to indicate that one type of dog will bite more than another dog," said Donald Cleary, spokesperson of the National Canine Research Council. "In fact, pit bulls have tested less aggressive than other dogs."

Some breeds scored higher than average for aggression directed toward both humans and dogs (e.g., Chihuahuas and Dachshunds) while other breeds scored high only for specific targets (e.g., dog-directed aggression among Akitas and Pit Bull Terriers). In general, aggression was most severe when directed toward other dogs followed by unfamiliar people and household members. Breeds with the greatest percentage of dogs exhibiting serious aggression (bites or bite attempts) toward humans included Dachshunds, Chihuahuas and Jack Russell Terriers (toward strangers and owners); Australian Cattle Dogs (toward strangers); and American Cocker Spaniels and Beagles (toward owners).

The problem with the pit is their power. If a Chihuahuas or Dachshund bites you, it hurts, maybe bleeds a little bit, but you are ok. A pit on the other hand can do really bad damage to you. So it's more the problem that big and powerful dogs can be a danger in the wrong hands. Again a problem with the owner, not with the nature of the dog.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2016-12-08 at 04:45 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Despite my posts, don't get me wrong: pit breeds have the capacity to maim and kill like few other common breeds. This is true, and for that reason it is a good idea to be careful around any pit until you have the chance to ascertain its mood and demeanor. But I have to state again that they are not genetically violent. It is always, always either the person not understanding dog language or the owner abusing/mistreating the dog.

Yes, they are potentially dangerous dogs, regardless how you train them. You don't have to personally own one, this FACT is backed up by statistics. And of course they are not the only ones in this category. Rotweillers, german shepards and even the cutie chow chow are difficult dogs. The problem is that the pitbull is completely off the scale when it comes to attacks...