Thread: [TV] Westworld

Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I'm talking about the actor who walked past Delores in the finale and used Hopkins' voice.
    Before we dwell too long on the subject, here is an article from Thrillist:
    https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...pecial-effects

Turning back the clock on Dr. Ford

Normally, de-aging visual effects are the domain of major movie productions. Think of the young Michael Douglas in Ant-Man or the "youthified" Robert Downey Jr. in Captain America: Civil War. But Westworld's makers tackled the same kind of shots in the third episode's flashback to young Ford.

"We took a scan of Sir Tony and used that as our base," explains Worth, "and then used a ton of photography and reference to figure out what we wanted him to look like. I think it ended up turning out really, really incredible."

Visual-effects studio Important Looking Pirates, in Sweden, was responsible for the shots. It made a photorealistic CG version of Hopkins from the scan and reference, and then placed that on the body of a stand-in. What made the shots particularly challenging, says Worth, was that the visual-effects team was conscious of a certain perception Hopkins has among audiences.

"America doesn't really remember Sir Tony before Silence of the Lambs. Obviously we found every reference we could from every movie and every photo and everything from the correct timeframe. But it really came down to what feels most like our character in the past, as much as anything."

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of wish MIB/William was still just a hardcore gamer/pvper instead of an actual sociopath.

Is there still the possibility of Logan coming back, perhaps as White Hat. We didn't see him die so technically he isn't dead.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Bernard said Maeve was programmed to do something once she reached the mainland, but since she left the train before it departed, does that mean she "broke free"?
    That was my interpretation as well. It was her "singular" moment, imo.

I'm sure it's already been said, but the reveal for William/MiB was done so well, it made me wish I hadn't already been clued in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Is there still the possibility of Logan coming back, perhaps as White Hat. We didn't see him die so technically he isn't dead.
    Anything is possible - but I thought the story line made it clear that William is in control of DELOS (anagram anyone?), and if that were the case, Logan would more than likely be out of the picture - either dead or institutionalized.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

I'm sure it's already been said, but the reveal for William/MiB was done so well, it made me wish I hadn't already been clued in.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything is possible - but I thought the story line made it clear that William is in control of DELOS (anagram anyone?), and if that were the case, Logan would more than likely be out of the picture - either dead or institutionalized.
    I half expected William to murder Logan using the horse. I was under the impression they were at the park boundary and Logan was being sent off park. If the horses had the same house arrest device (bomb implanted in spine) Logan would essentially be riding a bomb.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that the only thing that changed with Ford was his idea about the hosts gaining consciousness, which he obviously believed or he would've never started the change of events that he did. He wasn't so sure. Be he has been sure all season. He needed control so that no one would get in the way of his work but he was was aware of hosts awakening, it's just none ever fully "woke" so he had doubts and frustration.

It seems that the key to waking up is some sort of trauma or struggle and successfully reaching the path of sentience. Most become self aware and then misfire right as they are about to become completely independent (at least that's what I got when Bernard and others alluded to the hosts going through similar cycles), as they approach the center of the "maze" (or maybe Delores is the one capable of reaching the "center" and is the key to waking up the others? I need to re-watch).

So far Delores appears to be woke since she was finally able to harm and remember her past. Bernard is also there or close because he was able to remember after his revival. Maeve, maybe, we know she is self aware at least and Ford is no longer around to change her so she is functionally woke until the show shows otherwise.

I now believe Ford is dead and he wasn't a hosts (the one that got shot) because of interviews and his contract. Story reasons, he saw the completion of Arnold's work (well as far as he could go), no longer employed by the park and his work "done" he chose to guy out like his friend. Arnold went to show that the hosts weren't just robots but failed in that Ford wasn't convinced and no host became truly independent until about 30 years later. Ford followed Arnold's footsteps except this time Delores was independent and the massacre was with real people,you can't just rebuild people.

I'm still very much team people unless the hosts is self aware. Seems like this entire batch will be able to at least become self aware. My theory is that the samurai are simpler hosts and will used in an attempt to bring Delores to heel, but only after we see William/MIB tear through a few of Delores/Westworld hosts, his campaign ultimately failing.

So far there really haven't been any good or bad guys in this show I think, which I like. We have shady people, people who have done bad thinks but most of those things stem from perspective. Everything will change once people realize there are hosts who are no longer under the control of the company and hosts are left to make their own moral decisions.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think Logan would come back as a member of the company, he goals would be to expose William/MIB. The way I see it, if William escapes the town he is going to start hunting hosts, maybe even appear like a hero to outsiders. Logan comes in an either tries to expose William as the man who made him look crazy and as someone (William) who is tied to Delores, who is going Queen B of the hosts uprising.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Bernard said Maeve was programmed to do something once she reached the mainland, but since she left the train before it departed, does that mean she "broke free"?
    Well:
    Bernard said "And on the train you.."
    Maeve interrupts Bernard at this point.

Yeah?

So it is unclear was it free thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Season 2 would be a good chance to bring him back and try to make a bid for control of the company if the board is wiped out/taken hostage. They cast somebody worthwhile and it could be pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding horsesplosions, the spinal explosive is the last resort measure, there are other failsafes before the hosts go kaboom. Hector couldn't even enter an elevator, one would think that upon approaching the boundary, the horse would just stop running. If it stopped suddenly Logan could have still been thrown from it and had no means to protect himself with his hands bound so he could've still been injured/incapacitated/killed, who knows? Season 2 could cover it if its worth it to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Well:

Yeah?

I remembered it as "and once you reach the mainland, you'll...".

10+ Year Old Account
    Heard a theory that Ford said the first generation of hosts were so awkward that a handshake would give them away, and then before Ford shakes Bernard's hand to say goodbye, he gives him an awkward upside-down handshake.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Went and checked the episode:

Maeve: I planned all of this.
    Bernard: No, you didn't. You can even see the steps you're supposed to follow: You recruit other hosts to help you, then you make your way to the train, then when you reach the mainla--
    Maeve: Bullshit, nobody's controlling me!
    Misremembered a bit, but she was supposed to reach the mainland at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Well:

Yeah?

But couldn´t that little convesaton just be a trick to make Maeve think she actually had broke free? I mean she thought she had broken free, only to find out that her escape was planned. But making her think she was ´supposed´ to get on the train and reach the mainland as part of the second plan, might just be to cover up that there is really a third plan.

A little like the smart guy from Princess Bride talking himself in circles with the poisoned wine. Maeve could now be returning to Westworld as part of instructions.. but she thinks because the ´other´instructions supposedly wanted her to go to the mainland, that she is now in control of her actions.

It just seems hard to imagine a plot going forward if all 3 of the major hosts are actually free.

Sheesh, they can do anything in this series.

Ford was a synth, at least the murdered one. The real Ford was watching from the sidelines.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Sheesh, they can do anything in this series.

Ford was a synth, at least the murdered one. The real Ford was watching from the sidelines.
    If Hopkins is confirmed for the second season, this would be the most logical conclusion.

I don't mind that every character on the show has a built-in ex-machina... it gives the writers a lot of freedom in "killing off" characters that most shows can't afford.

I'm so glad this is better than the 70's movie...

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    If Hopkins is confirmed for the second season, this would be the most logical conclusion.

I don't mind that every character on the show has a built-in ex-machina... it gives the writers a lot of freedom in "killing off" characters that most shows can't afford.
    Could go either way. Hopkins plays the Host and it was the real Ford who got killed, or Hopkins plays the real Ford and it was the host who was killed.

But really the storywriting in this show is too good for them to fall into that crutch again. Bernard/Arnold was it, if they use the same trick again it would be cheesy.

Resurrection, Time Travel, Alternate Universes and I guess now duplicates, are all really difficult to do well in a sustained on-going story. Death needs to matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh shit guys, GET HYPE!

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/c...iworldcom_and/

HBO registered ExploreSamuraiWorld.com

i wonder if they will have dragons and shit in samurai world?

would be pretty cool to see robot dragons.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i wonder if they will have dragons and shit in samurai world?

would be pretty cool to see robot dragons.
    I don't recall dragons in the Edo prefecture. This will not go the way of 47 Ronin or I will definitely stop watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    I don't recall dragons in the Edo prefecture. This will not go the way of 47 Ronin or I will definitely stop watching.
    it wouldnt be a real dragon. just like how westworld isnt an accurate portrayal of the west but a romanticized version we see in old westerns i doubt samurai world is different.

what do people think of when they think old school kung fu movies? samurai, ninjas, dragons, monks and mysticism.

this is a theme park not a historical museum. weve already seen robot horses and animals why not a dragon?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    it wouldnt be a real dragon. just like how westworld isnt an accurate portrayal of the west but a romanticized version we see in old westerns i doubt samurai world is different.

what do people think of when they think old school kung fu movies? samurai, ninjas, dragons, monks and mysticism.

this is a theme park not a historical museum. weve already seen robot horses and animals why not a dragon?
    Because horses actually exist and dragons do not? While Westworld may be romanticized, it isn't fantastical or historically inaccurate except for the diversity of the hosts.