Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Micro Holidays - why?

So whats the point to the Micro Holidays?

I understand that its a small fun thing, etc.

But theres no reward... nothing to gain.

I would assume a large majority of players dont do anything unless theres something in it for them.
    Even if this new guard event is interesting... without something to gain im not going to waste my time grinding out kills. I probably wont even participate, ill know everything about it from reading the news post when its released, after that theres nothing left to find out and no gain in participating.

So are these Micro Holidays already dead content before they are even released? Or am i missing something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Reasons for long time players to stay subbed just to get the achieve, the item, the whatever.

Also another reason for the average player to log in, and another thing for the average player to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    without something to gain im not going to waste my time grinding out kills.
    You're not the target audience for this content, same with me. There's lots of people who don't play WoW like us though, and this is for them.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

They are like a greetings from the past- a time long ago when people were used to take Story or good entertainment as "somethin gained" too without any loot.

Is this not enough for a game? Just having fun?

People asked for more stuff to do outside of raiding and blizzard is trying out this as you said for just a fun side little thing. I feel the same way as you, pointless filler that adds nothing really to your character. Maybe if I find myself really bored I'll try one of them :/

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fluff. People like Fluff.

The game is not about gear.

I like how you want to classify micro-holidays that hasn't been released yet as dead content. You may not do them but others will. Again content is content, cant complain there is nothing to do where they are things you haven't done or tried.

10+ Year Old Account
    You answered your own question in your second sentence.

I think that's the point. If you're like me, when a new holiday or change to a holiday comes out, first thing I try to do is get all the toys/pets/mounts/etc ASAP. Focusing on the reward, not the experience. Also makes you feel shitty if you weren't online that month and missed the cool new whatever.

Their idea - mini-holidays that are pure experiences, to make the world feel alive and changing, but not putting any pressure on you to do them. Just something you could do, for lulz, if you wanted to.

Plus they take almost no dev time so can easily be squeezed into their busy schedules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I also don't see any point in them. I don't understand, why devs are wasting their resources on making them, instead of making something more useful.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

I would assume a large majority of players dont do anything unless theres something in it for them.
    Even if this new guard event is interesting... without something to gain im not going to waste my time grinding out kills. I probably wont even participate, ill know everything about it from reading the news post when its released, after that theres nothing left to find out and no gain in participating.

So are these Micro Holidays already dead content before they are even released? Or am i missing something?
    I am not sure your assumption is correct - it might be, but it might not.

I personally will do micro holidays without much in the way of rewards. I like the concept. Something novel and interesting to do more frequently. Having no significant rewards allows you to skip them without feeling bad, too.

We'll see if it works - so far, personally, I like it.

7+ Year Old Account
    The audience of the Micro-Holidays are very less likely on this site. I don't even see why people here count this as "content" no, it's not a content it's just some scenery added to the world... like that small beach between Feralas and Un'goro or Gallywix's Mansion.. you either go and hang out there or not.

Why not?

/10 characters

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Why do people ask for darker nights or weather effects? It has no reward!

Why do certain NPCs have a dialogue I can click through and read all that while there's no reward?

Why are there objects I can interact with, from simple chairs to spark wand I can turn the lights on Dalaran streets on, when there's no reward?

I could go on like this forever, but surely you get my point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    You answered your own question in your second sentence.
    Exactly this. Because WoW is a game, for fun...

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's this thing called "Fun" and also at times causes this thing called "Immersion". 2 Words I find many people forget are the point of Video Games.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Fluff. People like Fluff.

The game is not about gear.
    Let me disagree. The game (just like any other RPG) is about character progression. Gear is the only character progression in wow, sadly.

That does not have to do anything with micro-holidays though, since immersion - as well as world integrity - is important too.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Sometimes they test drive an idea by making a small little thing in one expansion and then going crazy with it in the next one.

Sunsong Ranch was an optional little thing in MoP that really was skippable. You worked a plot of dirt into a full garden. It seemed pointless but it was a test drive for garrisons in WoD. Its VERY possible micro-holidays are a test drive for the main feature in expansion 7. There has been a lot of complaints that grinding AP and doing the same quests over and over feels too much like a grind. It would make sense that they could fix this by creating 200-300 quests for expansion 7's version of AP, but each one is only active for a few days per year. That way it feels like less of a grind since the quests are always new. Plus, they could scatter them across all of Azeroth so you tour the planet as well.

This could be the big feature of expansion 7. We may have just seen it and not even realized it yet.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, I don't see the point in them, but as long as the keep people paying subs which pays for content I do want, then whatever.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Honestly, what's the point of buying games? For fun. I personally find the idea if micro-holidays very fun. That's my reward from them, a good time.

The entire point of WoW for everyone, is to have fun, but not everyone only gets enjoyment when they're rewarded. Some people actually enjoy the content.