Thinking of coming back to FFXIV

So currently I have a level 60 summoner on Leviathan. I like my summoner but it has been a WHILE since I played, like right after HW was released. I have considered rerolling and was curious what servers some of the players here are on.

It would cost you at least a month or two's worth of sub time just to level up an all new character to 60. I'd just pay to transfer your current character and save that progress. Heck, even paying for transfer + a fantasia is roughly 2 months of sub fee, if you're wanting to start as close to scratch as possible. Only way I could even fathom having a new character is if I wanted a crafting alt, and that would be a pain for me (being on Balmung).

There are a couple of us here on Balmung, and while I can't speak for everyone, I'll say from my experience it's definitely a solid server to be located on. It often gets picked on due to being the unofficial RP server for the game, though, but even if you're not into that at all (I'm not), you'll be fine here.

One major disadvantage to Balmung: It is virtually impossible to get a character on the server without paying to transfer to it. So if you're trying to recruit other friends to join, I would actually suggest not going to Balmung, because I've had at least 2-3 of my long time gaming buddies refuse to play FF14 simply due to having to pay for a server transfer right out of the gate (in order to join me).

Also on Balmung.

Also 2nd not rerolling. I rerolled probably 5 months ago because I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I wanted to see the story again and didn't want to pay for a transfer. I'm just now kind of close to where I was.

In hindsight, I should have transferred and just watched the cutscenes from the inn.

(I got to 60 and caught up with the story after a couple months, but just now started getting all my secondary jobs and side stuff close to where it was)

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing on Odin, small queues during evening but outside of new patch/expansion release, it's over before you even notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Playing on Odin, small queues during evening but outside of new patch/expansion release, it's over before you even notice it.
    But Cerberus is best Berus?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm on Faerie (seems fairly populated as I always see a few people in odd places and its packed during the day time) and the DPS queues are usually 5-15 minutes for any dungeon from 1am-8am (my normal playtime) and that's pretty good IMO.

Also yeah, unless you really love seeing the story again, I would just pay the money to transfer instead of doing all of the story and dungeon/raid-gated shit. That might change in the expansion though with supposed free bypasses (free level 60 job maybe? Yes please!) that's been hinted at by the devs.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senistian View Post
    So currently I have a level 60 summoner on Leviathan. I like my summoner but it has been a WHILE since I played, like right after HW was released. I have considered rerolling and was curious what servers some of the players here are on.
    A very late suggestion.

Make a FEMROE tank on Balmung or gilgamesh.
    You cared enough to post.

I'm on Shiva, was flooded with the infamous "FR" that would go crazy if anyone spoke english going "fuk u englis pig leave fr server" and it was pretty bad in 2.0 when they crashed the market on everything with bots, till some German FC's got together to effectively make grey market trading linkshells and everyone worked to push the prices up. Eventually the 3 FR free companies trying to "crash everything till english leave" got the message and abandoned the server so now its mostly german and english speaking players. There was a big thing about it on the XIV reddit with a few french players saying "im sorry please understand its not all of us but backwoods types are so mad about english being the new lingua franca they make it their business to screw over english speaking players even if it causes problems for everyone" so it might not have just been a Shiva issue, but man the German merchant guilds were efficient in dealing with that stuff and now the server is always busy and the people seem pretty nice. I dont see the chat rage and asshole behaviour i used to see back on my high pop wow server.
    Only other servers i know about is Blamung is infamous for being the Argent Dawn of FFXIV if you know what that means, and Moogle is the 4chan server of choice.

Then theres Gregg, and Gregg is Gregg and nothing compares to Gregg.

and Chocobo, poor Chocobo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi,

I'm rolling on CERBERUS EU

What is a good class for a casual player? I prefer ranged usually, but any class with simple rotation is good.

I have good eye-hand co-ordination, reflexes, and general raid awareness, but I struggle with rotations.

EDITED as I changed server name
    Last edited by theWocky; 2016-12-15 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Hi,

I'm rolling on Ragnarok EU

What is a good class for a casual player? I prefer ranged usually, but any class with simple rotation is good.

I have good eye-hand co-ordination, reflexes, and general raid awareness, but I struggle with rotations.
    Black Mage has a pretty simple rotation. Aka Thaumaturge. Also Cerberus is best Berus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Black Mage has a pretty simple rotation. Aka Thaumaturge. Also Cerberus is best Berus.
    thanks for that

Bard isn't too bad if you want something more simple but also bring something useful to the group in the form of ballads. Its what I personally play when I want something relaxing to play when I'm not in the mood for my Ninja.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2016-12-16 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Hi,

I'm rolling on CERBERUS EU

EDITED as I changed server name
    I personally prefer Summoner for most things since the "rotation" is pretty simple honestly, you have pets (tank, melee and ranged DPS) a pet healing spell and a general healing spell which makes solo'ing a breeze. Keep up your DoT's, use the right Aetherflow stack ability for the right situation (Fester ST, Bane AoE DoT spread or Painflare AoE direct damage spell) and make smart use of Dreadwyrm Stance at 3 stacks of Aether Resonance or whatever the heck it's called (get one stack for every Aetherflow ability used, up to three, takes three to activate DW Stance).

Summoner is definitely the best ease in class. ranged dps with tank pets that can also become a healer without needing to level another class up separately for some variety.