Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Lyft has tipping built in, there is no built in gratuity in uber.

Tipping is one of the last few work experiences that can teach people very clearly how hard work and attitude can translate to success, while still reinforcing the truth that life isn't fair.
    There is a reason why I said ride share apps, not the Uber app.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post
    No. I hate people who do not follow the laws of the country they are in, which is the case here in Denmark.
    Uber is perfectly legal in many places. It is in my city, and is half the price of overpriced cabs.
    Your disdain seems rather odd.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I haven't ever needed to use it, myself.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    If I would use Uber, I wouldn't tip. Tipping is not really a thing in here. I don't know anyone who does that.
    Last edited by Santti; 2016-12-18 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I do not.

Servant folk should know their place. Plus, it's in their own best interest: if I give them money beyond the warranted amount I'll be instilling ideals of greed and capitalist aspirations, rather than letting them accept their position in life. This will in the long run only hurt them - and society as a whole - because the lower class needs to stay put.

I have nothing but respect for servant folk. They are a necessary aspect of society. If all the drivers quit, who'd drive us? If all the cooks and waiters disappeared, who would feed us? That's why I feel that it is important that we keep them in their place and do not pay them in excess so that they'll stay on the job, perform their duties, but without money for leisure spending, education, or opportunity to advance beyond their specified role.
    Their place? Many service jobs are temporary for a lot of people. Paying for school, or even something as small as making money on the side of their current job.
    Drawing a line in the sand based on preconceived assumptions of social/economic class seems rather....pompous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    I haven't ever needed to use it, myself.
    So why are you posting that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is a reason why I said ride share apps, not the Uber app.
    Which uber is. This thread is about uber. It's in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't use Uber or Lyft because I think it is unethical for trust funds to circumvent local laws and pay people off so they can start unlicensed national taxi driver companies. Those taxi driver medallions required to drive in cities like Chicago were worth the cost of a house before Uber and Lyft started their national corruption scheme.

Also, good luck to you if you get into an accident while in an Uber or Lyft vehicle.
    The real issue isn't the Uber drivers, it's why people felt there was a need to charge so damn much to allow people to drive cars. You seem to be angry at the wrong thing.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimon-ZJ View Post
    So why are you posting that?
    Because despite having an app for it and checking it to attempt to use it, it hasn't worked for me yet in a way that I could tip anyone.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    Because despite having an app for it and checking it to attempt to use it, it hasn't worked for me yet in a way that I could tip anyone.
    Riiiiiight

Which uber is. This thread is about uber. It's in the title.
    'Uber' is often used as shorthand for all ride share services. If specificity is the necessary criteria herein than ignore the reply. If a broader comment is welcome, my reply is as stated above.

never and would never use them, they offer ZERO legal protections to you as a customer if shit goes wrong and you are in an accident and end up needing millions upon millions to cover your medical bills you are on your own in that case so no i never tip them nor would i ever use them,

We have legal and regulated Taxi services for a reason and you should use them.

My general rule of thumb on tips:

Does the person speak a Slavic language? Tip

Does the person speak Serbian? Double Tip

Everyone else? Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    'Uber' is often used as shorthand for all ride share services. If specificity is the necessary criteria herein than ignore the reply. If a broader comment is welcome, my reply is as stated above.
    Nah, I'm referring to uber specifically, because it does not offer to option to tip. That's why I made a thread about it, and said uber.

I do not.

Servant folk should know their place. Plus, it's in their own best interest: if I give them money beyond the warranted amount I'll be instilling ideals of greed and capitalist aspirations, rather than letting them accept their position in life. This will in the long run only hurt them - and society as a whole - because the lower class needs to stay put.

I have nothing but respect for servant folk. They are a necessary aspect of society. If all the drivers quit, who'd drive us? If all the cooks and waiters disappeared, who would feed us? That's why I feel that it is important that we keep them in their place and do not pay them in excess so that they'll stay on the job, perform their duties, but without money for leisure spending, education, or opportunity to advance beyond their specified role.
    Rofl if i posted such a sentiment no doubt i would be instant banned.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    never and would never use them, they offer ZERO legal protections to you as a customer if shit goes wrong and you are in an accident and end up needing millions upon millions to cover your medical bills you are on your own in that case so no i never tip them nor would i ever use them,

We have legal and regulated Taxi services for a reason and you should use them.
    We? I'll be covered fine if I require medical attention from an uber accident.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    My general rule of thumb on tips:

Does the person speak a Slavic language? Tip

Does the person speak Serbian? Double Tip

Everyone else? Nothing
    What? Why?

I've never taken an Uber, and the Tube is faster than a car any time of the day in London (only city I've been in where uber is a thing) if you don't need to think about which line to get.

I took the tube from near Watford to Tower Hill tube station (that's about an hour with one change at Aldgate), and got there in less time than it took two friends to get there who got themselves driven by an Uber from their hotel near Victoria Station (If they had heeded my advice and taken the District Line from Victoria they'd have got there in about 20 minutes including walking).

Quote Originally Posted by CowPond View Post
    Where I live UBER is literally 1/5th the cost of a taxi. Lets face it, the taxi industry is way out of date. Why not have independent contractors use their personal vehicles to provide the same service only faster and cheaper. So taxi drivers can go cry all they want, its capitalism. Isn't that why most taxi drivers moved to America in the first place? Not being racist but its factual that a large percentage of taxi drivers are 1st generation immigrants. Also if you accidentally leave your keys/cell phone/wallet in an uber. you can call them right back and locate your driver and they will connect you directly to them, even if they are off hours. GL getting that from a taxi. Anytime innovation hits an old industry there will always be those bitching b/c they haven't kept up. I do tip a few dollars if I have cash on me.
    It's sort of interesting really, taxi's are so licensed in most places that it requires a company to maintain the licenses. They of course keep most of the profits so tend towards people that will work long hours for little pay. There's usually off-hour working and of course license trading so you can run a lot more than 8 hours.

Uber doesn't pay those taxes or deal with any of the licensing, they keep over head low, so they pass along a good portion of the funds while keeping prices lower.

But, if the licenses for taxis weren't so expensive and stuff, maybe the taxi industry wouldn't be such a cesspool to begin with. Likewise if you required the same of Uber drivers as Taxi drivers, they'd quickly leave the business.

In either case, soon enough the robots will take over and you'll uber a self-driving car that runs on an electrical grid... assuming the killbots let you out of the slave pens.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and no, the couple times I used them on vacation I didn't tip. The drivers were friendly enough conversationally, but certainly didn't go above & beyond the drive by opening a door or trunk or helping with bags or anything.

Though I think the main innovation I like from Uber is paying for the trip, rather than letting some meter run.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

What? Why?
    Because I can? If someone is in this country and is interested in the shared culture of Slavs to learn a Slavic language, I like to help them out. Speaking Serbian is even better. I once tipped an Ethiopian guy $20 for a ~$15 taxi ride because he spoke Serbian with me. Apparently, he had studied in Belgrade for a little bit before moving to the US.

Usually that doesn't happen and the person just ends up getting $0. I paid enough for the product/service. Why should I leave a tip?

I do not.

Where I live it's not a custom to tip anyone. There's another thing though, small rewards, incentives if you will for a job well done.

When you said servant folk should know their place, did you imply their place is beneath you?

Quote Originally Posted by CowPond View Post
    Where I live UBER is literally 1/5th the cost of a taxi. Lets face it, the taxi industry is way out of date. Why not have independent contractors use their personal vehicles to provide the same service only faster and cheaper. So taxi drivers can go cry all they want, its capitalism. Isn't that why most taxi drivers moved to America in the first place? Not being racist but its factual that a large percentage of taxi drivers are 1st generation immigrants. Also if you accidentally leave your keys/cell phone/wallet in an uber. you can call them right back and locate your driver and they will connect you directly to them, even if they are off hours. GL getting that from a taxi. Anytime innovation hits an old industry there will always be those bitching b/c they haven't kept up. I do tip a few dollars if I have cash on me.

Nothing innovative about uber. it is illegal taxi that isnt paying the bills correctly, that is the only reason they can do it cheaper. you get in an accident in that uber car and need 3 million dollars to cover your medical bills let me know how you will get that money from uber.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    Because I can? If someone is in this country and is interested in the shared culture of Slavs to learn a Slavic language, I like to help them out. Speaking Serbian is even better. I once tipped an Ethiopian guy $20 for a ~$15 taxi ride because he spoke Serbian with me. Apparently, he had studied in Belgrade for a little bit before moving to the US.

Usually that doesn't happen and the person just ends up getting $0. I paid enough for the product/service. Why should I leave a tip?
    Very strage