Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't use Uber or Lyft because I think it is unethical for trust funds to circumvent local laws and pay people off so they can start unlicensed national taxi driver companies. Those taxi driver medallions required to drive in cities like Chicago were worth the cost of a house before Uber and Lyft started their national corruption scheme.

Also, good luck to you if you get into an accident while in an Uber or Lyft vehicle.
    Shouldn't you be more pissed that cities are gouging people for millions of dollars just for the right to provide a service to people by making them buy that medallion? Its anticompetitive because nobody can afford it other than one or 2 taxi companies, who then have to charge an asinine rate (and then expect a tip too after you pay $7.50 to go a half mile) to recoup the medallion cost before they can make any profit on each new car. The reason Uber and Lyft are so much cheaper is because they dont have to pay 1 or 2 million for a medallion

Quote Originally Posted by Calimon-ZJ View Post
    Uber is perfectly legal in many places. It is in my city, and is half the price of overpriced cabs.
    Your disdain seems rather odd.

And they are half the price since the operate under the assumption of a friend helping a friend with a ride home and when shit goes wrong and you end up in an accident and need a million dollar to cover your medical bills you think your "friend" will be there to pay it for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but that's the least of my concerns. What I do hate is when people give bad reviews for stupid reasons. My cousin, his fiance and I were riding in an uber to go downtown. She for some reason or another started have an anxiety attack and wasn't able to get comfortable. The guy was constantly driving the speed limit if not below and would take very slow turns. In a sense he was driving like the typical old person. I didn't mind it because there was no worry of getting in a wreck. After he drops us off, she starts ranting about how that guy should never drive for uber again and hopes her bad review makes an impact. I really wanted to lay into her for be an inconsiderate bitch, but I decided to bite my tongue.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    And they are half the price since the operate under the assumption of a friend helping a friend with a ride home and when shit goes wrong and you end up in an accident and need a million dollar to cover your medical bills you think your "friend" will be there to pay it for you?
    what are you even talking about? I will not need a million dollars if something like that happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    No, but that's the least of my concerns. What I do hate is when people give bad reviews for stupid reasons. My cousin, his fiance and I were riding in an uber to go downtown. She for some reason or another started have an anxiety attack and wasn't able to get comfortable. The guy was constantly driving the speed limit if not below and would take very slow turns. In a sense he was driving like the typical old person. I didn't mind it because there was no worry of getting in a wreck. After he drops us off, she starts ranting about how that guy should never drive for uber again and hopes her bad review makes an impact. I really wanted to lay into her for be an inconsiderate bitch, but I decided to bite my tongue.
    You totally should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Shouldn't you be more pissed that cities are gouging people for millions of dollars just for the right to provide a service to people by making them buy that medallion? Its anticompetitive because nobody can afford it other than one or 2 taxi companies, who then have to charge an asinine rate (and then expect a tip too after you pay $7.50 to go a half mile) to recoup the medallion cost before they can make any profit on each new car. The reason Uber and Lyft are so much cheaper is because they dont have to pay 1 or 2 million for a medallion

Not true. they are cheaper since when shit goes wrong you as a customer dont get any customer protections you are left out on your own when it comes to medical bills etc from an accident. you have to go after the driver personally in court to recoup your medical costs since if as most uber drivers he is doing it with his personal drivers insurance his insurance company wont cover a penny of the costs since they view it as a commercial business and with improper insurance they wont pay a penny to you.

Very strage
    Have you worked in a service job before? A lot more people than you think do this. Try being a waiter and getting nothing from every Korean or Filipino or Nigerian that you serve while your Korean coworker gets massive tips from Korean guests, the Filipino waiter gets massive tips from his Filipino guests, and the Nigerian gets massive tips from her Nigerian guests.

People like to help people that are a part of the same 'tribe'. Work a service job in a 'multicultural' city like New York or LA, then come talk to me about how it's weird to tip based on whether your servicer shares some intimate qualities with you or not.

I haven't taken one, but I do drive for UBER. I get one a week or so out of around 50 trips. They did have a tip option for UBER taxi at one point, but removed it after a lawsuit. Where they were taking a cut of the tip.

As well, drivers don't always make a lot of money. One week it could $150 gross, and the next it could be $300 gross. Gross being before taxes (30-40%), gas, maintenance, depreciation, and other expenses. So, in some cities the drivers are getting paid right around minimum wage after all that is taken out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    Have you worked in a service job before? A lot more people than you think do this. Try being a waiter and getting nothing from every Korean or Filipino or Nigerian that you serve while your Korean coworker gets massive tips from Korean guests, the Filipino waiter gets massive tips from his Filipino guests, and the Nigerian gets massive tips from her Nigerian guests.

People like to help people that are a part of the same 'tribe'. Work a service job in a 'multicultural' city like New York or LA, then come talk to me about how it's weird to tip based on whether your servicer shares some intimate qualities with you or not.
    I work for the Canadian government part time, and part time in a coffee shop for the last 7 years. So yes, I know the service industry quite well.

what are you even talking about? I will not need a million dollars if something like that happens.

- - - Updated - - -

You totally should have.

So you think healthcare in the US is cheap? a million isnt even a very high amount if you end up spending 3 months in the hospital after the accident the denial of reality is real sometimes it seem.
    So let me know where you get the money to cover this bill since i can promise you your health insurance will NOT cover it since they will look on it and say no you where a customer in a commercial owned and operated car they should cover this bill. And than you look on that uber driver as your only recourse to reimburse your medical bills. you have to take him personally to court to recover it since his normal auto insurance will NOT cover the drive as they will NEVER cover commercial use of your car.

I thought the greatest thing about Uber was they are their own boss. I would never tip my boss.

Plus Uber/Lyft is gaming the system. I hate Taxis but there is a reason we have laws/regulations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Cities have medallions for many reasons. The main one is not to have a flood of taxis creating more congestion.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

So you think healthcare in the US is cheap? a million isnt even a very high amount if you end up spending 3 months in the hospital after the accident the denial of reality is real sometimes it seem.
    So let me know where you get the money to cover this bill since i can promise you your health insurance will NOT cover it since they will look on it and say no you where a customer in a commercial owned and operated car they should cover this bill. And than you look on that uber driver as your only recourse to reimburse your medical bills. you have to take him personally to court to recover it since his normal auto insurance will NOT cover the drive as they will NEVER cover commercial use of your car.
    You know there are other countries than the USA right?
    Furthermore, this isn't a thread about the risk/reward of using uber. It's simply about tipping the drivers.
    Last edited by Calimon-ZJ; 2016-12-18 at 06:33 PM.

You know there are other countries than the USA right?
    Furthermore, this isn't a thread about the risk/reward of using uber. It's simply about tipping the drivers.
    You have to have the entire knowledge behind the uber scam to know if you should tip them or not.

You have to have the entire knowledge behind the uber scam to know if you should tip them or not.
    Just nonsense.

Just nonsense.
    Yes it is nonsense that anyone thinks they should ride with these scam artists.

Yes it is nonsense that anyone thinks they should ride with these scam artists.
    No, what you're posting is nonsense, shoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole concept of tipping is dumb. Ive already paid for the service.

Edit: no, i do not nor would i ever tip an uber/cab driver/delivery person
    Last edited by Starsinn; 2016-12-18 at 07:05 PM.
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

Tipping my Uber people?

No, if all I do is get in and they drop me off at my destinition.

Maybe: If they help me put heavy luggage in the trunk.

Yes: If they accommodate special requests like stopping at the convenience store or liquor store on the way.

/srug

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

No, what you're posting is nonsense, shoo.

So tell me how you get paid for that 3 month hospital stay after you got in a wreck while you where a customer in that uber ride. I can tell you using your own insurances PIP option isnt going to cover it all, just to give you a quote from one of the best law firms in looking out for the little guy getting screwed

""If you have been seriously injured, $2,500 may not fully cover the cost of medical treatments. After PIP benefits have been exhausted, our Florida car accident attorneys may be able to help you seek additional compensation from the at-fault driver through a personal injury lawsuit.""

See the key issue to get reimbursed for your bills you need to bring a lawsuit and good luck with that is all i am saying you might win it but really you expect to collect all 1 million you need from that bankrupt person that has a ZERO balance savings account a 401k worth 30k and a house that has no value since the bank still owns like 94% of the value in mortgage on the house. You know most uber drivers are very poor and they do this for the extra money they desperately need to cover the bills each month.

So good luck going after that driver when you need that 1 million dollar to cover your medical bills.

bashing someone that points out these FACTS just make you look like you are working for corporate uber and are desperate to have the scam keep on going at all cost

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Cities have medallions for many reasons. The main one is not to have a flood of taxis creating more congestion.
    Shouldn't they, by that logic, also limit the number of regular vehicles that can be registered to drive?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I do not.

Servant folk should know their place. Plus, it's in their own best interest: if I give them money beyond the warranted amount I'll be instilling ideals of greed and capitalist aspirations, rather than letting them accept their position in life. This will in the long run only hurt them - and society as a whole - because the lower class needs to stay put.

I have nothing but respect for servant folk. They are a necessary aspect of society. If all the drivers quit, who'd drive us? If all the cooks and waiters disappeared, who would feed us? That's why I feel that it is important that we keep them in their place and do not pay them in excess so that they'll stay on the job, perform their duties, but without money for leisure spending, education, or opportunity to advance beyond their specified role.
    You sound a lot like you think you're better than "servant" (lol? What are you, an 18th century aristocrat?) folk, which you aren't. Frankly, you sound like a spoiled little twat who needs a reality check.

OT: No.