Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let me think on this... no, I don't think I remember it ever not being a numbers game.

Hmm, we need to sit you to bring in more Warlocks. I know you have a crit buff that is nice to have but an out of mana warlock can just be healed to do more damage.

Yup, I was a boomkin back in TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Youn View Post
    Let me think on this... no, I don't think I remember it ever not being a numbers game.

Hmm, we need to sit you to bring in more Warlocks. I know you have a crit buff that is nice to have but an out of mana warlock can just be healed to do more damage.

Yup, I was a boomkin back in TBC.
    But who then gave you your 5% spell crit!?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I missed our first Illidan kill because I couldn't stand close enough to the boss to swing my staff at him for more mana!

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    its called "Tab" button, does wonders really
    For 12 years, it did. Now it's a button for "Cycle through every mob available in your LoS and end up still using your mouse because tab keeps skipping the mob RIGHT ON FRONT OF YOU".. Good times

Umm, no. It's why Vanilla was all about stacking Mages, Warlocks, Warriors and Rogues for DPS. Just because you were bad at the game and surrounded by uninformed people doesn't mean everyone was. You were far less exposed to information in 2004. It was still out there.
    Last edited by skitz0129; 2016-12-20 at 04:59 PM.

Sure, just don't have any sort of soft enrage, hard enrage, or dps check on any boss.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also, scale matters quite a bit.

Example:

At the end of TBC warlocks did 3000 dps, retribution paladins did 1,500 dps. So, you could justify bringing one retribution paladin.

In the modern day, if your rogue is doing 500k dps and your survival hunter is doing 325k dps. You really cannot afford to bring the survival hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Now all I personally care about is your damage output, kill it quick, no worries. Meaning your item level is super important and can be a difficult bar for many players that play DPS classes but don't have many friends.
    This expansion though I love I feel has a bit of a "rich getting richer" issue in it. I mean if you've completed a M+ 10-12 or higher each week chances are your ilvl is super high, but if you don't play as much, or are a bit new, your behind. Not to mention the extra chances people get at Titanforged loot on M+ that they run endlessly.
    In Vanilla and TBC people could give a flying hoot about how much damage you could do.
    Not sure if those revision attempts are really helping if it's just another one of those threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Youn View Post
    At the end of TBC warlocks did 3000 dps, retribution paladins did 1,500 dps. So, you could justify bringing one retribution paladin.
    In the modern day, if your rogue is doing 500k dps and your survival hunter is doing 325k dps. You really cannot afford to bring the survival hunter.
    You afforded it because ret gave you another 3% crit on the target and some utility. Survival hunters do jack squat but take away space from better melees.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2016-12-20 at 05:29 PM.

I think the facts that people farmed Strat, Scholo in 10 player raids and ubrs in 15 player raids already tells you that the game is and has always been about farming gear (or upgrades in general) in the most efficient way. Increasing the DPS also means increasing the efficiency, it's no different in vanilla than it is today.

if you link meters today people think you're a tool, lol

do high m+ and you need to CC and stun etc and dps well

Quote Originally Posted by Bags View Post
    if you link meters today people think you're a tool, lol

do high m+ and you need to CC and stun etc and dps well
    Bleh I disagree. I mean if someone links a meter it means their calling someone out for pulling too low. And yes high M+ depending the affix you do need to CC.

I just personally have very little patience for low DPS, I mean I'm used to killing bosses so fast I barely knew WTH they even did until I did them on Tyrannical and naturally stayed alive longer.

i really dont understand that doing CC/watching aggro/etc makes having to do high dps irrelevant

you have to do both

it's been like that since forever. even in vanilla
    dps mattered back then, there were tons of dps check fights even in vanilla (remember vaelastrasz or huhuran or PW?)
    it was just as important to do high dps

Bleh I disagree
    idc if you dont "agree", high m+ uses CC depending on the affixes lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bags View Post
    idc if you dont "agree", high m+ uses CC depending on the affixes lol
    Is that the only line you read?

...In fact if you linked a damage meter in a 5 man people would look at you like you were some tool bag.
    To be fair, if someone links a damage meter now I look at them like they're some tool bag.

Threat actually should come back as a thing for dps to self-manage. CC can still be plenty effective, most folks don't want to use it it seems.

Yes bragging on meters was a thing, but it just made you look like a dipstick in a 5 man.
    Imo when people link damage / healing meters even now they still look like a 'dipstick' that has never changed.
    Most who care this much about their numbers will run logs and look at their parsing for each fight.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Threat actually should come back as a thing for dps to self-manage. CC can still be plenty effective, most folks don't want to use it it seems.
    Issue with threat though is it made your run super dependent on how good your tank was. I always played a tank so it was a non-issue for me, but it must have been a nightmare for others.

DPS was always a numbers game. In early iterations of WoW you needed to maximize your damage while maintaining a low enough threat. In more modern iterations, it's shifted more towards raw dps. I found the threat game annoying as a dps and tank so I'm glad they got rid of it. My only good memory of it is Deathbringer Saurfang as a holy paladin. We used righteous fury to pick up some add or something.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Is that the only line you read?
    Well it's correct - people who link meters are generally seen as retards today as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."