Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I don't think many people questioned Star Citizen's graphical output.
    Many said its nothing special. Just "maybe" above average.
    Apparently 2.6 brought many graphical updates as well.

I think its everyones personal opinion. Imho it looks better in game than many games in the cutscenes.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks pretty damn good in my opinion. Maybe it's just me, certainly looks better then most games(IMO) but SC shouldn't just bank on that anyways.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It looks pretty damn good in my opinion. Maybe it's just me, certainly looks better then most games(IMO) but SC shouldn't just bank on that anyways.
    Well personally what appeals to me is the kinda oldschool approach. What i mean by that, the old games which wasn't rushed out, always had attention to detail, everywhere you go you could find something interesting, or just a mechanic which was not necessary to complete the game, but it was interesting, and you could see they really put time and effort to make the game, not just the core mechanics, and done.
    Example from SC, the working pool table in Star Marine, or that some guy started doing shadow play on the wall with the hand signals, or the little decals / funny notes at many places.

Deleted
    i see Roberts is still at what he does best, stealing art from other games

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...h_on_this_one/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EvcRo View Post

you mean the people that put together the concept art stealing artwork and slapping it together with other images

im sure he gets to give the Ok to put these concept arts out but i doubt the guy will notice the Halo armor and Gun

Edit: and looking at the name Victor Martinez, he has a lot of Concept artwork out there that are just photoshoped artwork by the looks of it

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5847701/desig...-of-real-steel
    dunno if this is his but it comes up when you search his name http://i.imgur.com/BlcrLGI.jpg
    Last edited by Omians; 2016-12-22 at 08:55 AM.
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

OMG an early concept art. I bet he draw it himself! Its confirmed SC is a scam.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    you mean the people that put together the concept art stealing artwork and slapping it together with other images

im sure he gets to give the Ok to put these concept arts out but i doubt the guy will notice the Halo armor and Gun

Edit: and looking at the name Victor Martinez, he has a lot of Concept artwork out there that are just photoshoped artwork by the looks of it

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5847701/desig...-of-real-steel
    dunno if this is his but it comes up when you search his name http://i.imgur.com/BlcrLGI.jpg
    Cause ya know, it's not like Master Chief isn't a rip off of the Space Marine from Doom...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Cause ya know, it's not like Master Chief isn't a rip off of the Space Marine from Doom...
    https://puu.sh/iUO1P/0a749c7d6e.png its not so much a rip off. this victor guy seems to snag and reuse images to make concept art. i wouldnt really say its a bad thing for concept art. they look very good and they are not meant to be looked super up close. but when you zoom in you can see it looks very choppy lol
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

wheres the proof they dont have acess to use art from other sources, if they don't have permission to use art from other sources then the people who make the art wouldn't be in the job for much longer would they, who really cares what they use for concept art anyway.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

10+ Year Old Account
    Patch 2.6 pushed to the live servers.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...izen-Alpha-260

2.6 is getting pushed to the live servers tonight. Thank god I upgraded to 100Mbps internet a few days ago. Can't wait to try it out. Haven't played for months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    2.6 is getting pushed to the live servers tonight. Thank god I upgraded to 100Mbps internet a few days ago. Can't wait to try it out. Haven't played for months.
    One of these days, I'll update and mess around again. But I feel that if I'm not there to test, that there's not really a point in trying to get used to the flight model as it's changing so frequently. I never even downloaded 2.5. Not to mention, my favorite ship is a complete mess at the moment and is probably the most unfinished ship that's flyable that has barely anything known about what it's actually supposed to do....

- - - Updated - - -

Also, interesting news. It looks like CIG is now using Amazon Lumberyard. Link to the newsletter. Quote of the specific section.

There is one other big announcement we would like to make with the release of 2.6. We are now basing Star Citizen and our custom technology development on Amazon’s Lumberyard Engine. Since the beginning of the project, we’ve had to make a huge number of changes to the CryENGINE code and tech to enable us to deliver Star Citizen. While the original CryENGINE had great strengths in many areas like rendering and cinematics the needs of our game were well beyond what came ‘out of the box’. So we have, over time, changed significant parts of the engine for our technology, such that only a baseline of the original engine truly remains. In the future we will continue to make significant changes to AI, Animation and Network code and systems.

When Amazon announced Lumberyard back in February 2016, we were immediately interested. While based on the same baseline technology as Star Citizen, Lumberyard is specifically designed for online games, utilizing the power of Amazon’s AWS Cloud Services and their Twitch streaming platform. Amazon’s focus aligns perfectly to ours as we’ve been making significant engineering investments into next generation online networking and cloud based servers. Making the transition to Lumberyard and AWS has been very easy and has not delayed any of our work, as broadly, the technology switch was a ‘like-for-like’ change, which is now complete.

As an added benefit Amazon AWS data centers are spread around the world from North America to South America, Europe to China to Asia Pacific, which will allow us to better support the many backers across the globe as we scale up Star Citizen.

Finally, Amazon has made Lumberyard freely available for anyone building their own game. That means that technically-inclined members of the community can have a better view 'under the hood' of our game than ever before. It's also a great path for anyone interested in game development professionally; I fully anticipate that in the coming year we will be hiring programmers who have taught themselves using Amazon's Lumberyard resources!

As we move forwards, we are confident you will see great benefits from our partnership. Amazon will bring new features to Lumberyard to assist in creating online persistent games, adding great support for their products like Twitch (which we use extensively) and of course investing heavily in engine research and development for years to come. We could not find a more stable and reliable engine partner than Amazon, so with this partnership we are sure we have secured the future development and continuing technical innovation for Star Citizen.

With that I would like encourage everyone to download and play Alpha 2.6. It is a lot of fun and I look forward to seeing you in the ‘verse!

Happy Holidays!

-- Chris Roberts
    So, CryEngine graphics with Lumberyard networking?

Also, before anyone says that switching over is a waste of time or that they're lying that it was an easy switch, http://kotaku.com/sources-amazon-spe...ine-1696008878
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2016-12-24 at 12:13 AM.

Interesting. CIG were using Google cloud services until now. Wonder how that will affect backers outside of North America.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2016-12-24 at 12:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Interesting. CIG were using Google cloud services until now. Wonder how that will affect backers outside of North America.
    I believe that Amazon has more cloud servers set up elsewhere, so overall, it should be a plus for people not in the US/EU, mainly Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    One of these days, I'll update and mess around again. But I feel that if I'm not there to test, that there's not really a point in trying to get used to the flight model as it's changing so frequently. I never even downloaded 2.5. Not to mention, my favorite ship is a complete mess at the moment and is probably the most unfinished ship that's flyable that has barely anything known about what it's actually supposed to do....

- - - Updated - - -

Also, interesting news. It looks like CIG is now using Amazon Lumberyard. Link to the newsletter. Quote of the specific section.

So, CryEngine graphics with Lumberyard networking?

Also, before anyone says that switching over is a waste of time or that they're lying that it was an easy switch, http://kotaku.com/sources-amazon-spe...ine-1696008878
    Lumberyard is Cryengine

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibutomi View Post
    Lumberyard is Cryengine
    From what I read of it, it's pretty much the same except for the backend networking code, which was improved for "next gen gaming", made to fully utilize the AWS.

So wait then, are they still using anything from their old custom CryEngine, then? Roberts blurb doesn't make it clear if they're still using it for anything or if they're transferring over to Lumberyard wholesale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So wait then, are they still using anything from their old custom CryEngine, then? Roberts blurb doesn't make it clear if they're still using it for anything or if they're transferring over to Lumberyard wholesale.
    Pretty sure they're just grabbing the network coding portion, since the rest is/was the same.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Pretty sure they're just grabbing the network coding portion, since the rest is/was the same.
    Yeah, I'm trying to hunt down confirmation but it seems to largely be media/fans interpreting his words and that's about it right now. Very curious though, because if it is replacing their version of CryEngine wholesale, that's a huge amount of resources (and a ton of hires) that just lost a huge amount of value.

If it's just handling a lot of the backend work and their CryEngine continues to handle rendering etc. then that sounds like a good pickup, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying to hunt down confirmation but it seems to largely be media/fans interpreting his words and that's about it right now. Very curious though, because if it is replacing their version of CryEngine wholesale, that's a huge amount of resources (and a ton of hires) that just lost a huge amount of value.

If it's just handling a lot of the backend work and their CryEngine continues to handle rendering etc. then that sounds like a good pickup, though.
    After digging around, I can't find anything really concrete saying what the differences are, aside from that whole AWS thing and "twitch integration". Aside from that, supposedly, CIG is already done converting over, so at most, if they lied about the transition delaying stuff, it was delayed by half a year (might explain why 2.5 lasted forever, tbh). And if that solved networking problems, then that's fine by me (I hope).
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2016-12-24 at 06:09 AM.