Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    You can definitely live on minimum wage if you have a roommate. Not extravagantly, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    <snip>
    No - it is pretty much the US and anyone under the influence of the US that is formally fascist.
    You realize Political Compass isn't objective truth, right? It's one view of an Overton window, but one that's pretty obviously absurd once one considers that it doesn't allow for the possibility of anyone existing that's farther right than Marco Rubio. If Marco Rubio is the farthest right human being you can possibly imagine, you probably don't have a wide enough Overton window.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Firefighters are not politicians.
    Firefighters are part of the government (well, usually).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Fail.
    As someone else noted, you should consider a posting style that doesn't involve being as much of a dick as possible at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawken View Post
    Clinton is just as authoritarian right as any of the republican candidates. How did someone come up with those charts? Did they just put clinton further away from the others to make her seem less bad?
    I would say the Democrat party is significantly more authoritarian than the Republicans. The Republicans only grudgingly give voice to Libertarians, but at least htey have some in their caucus. However, if you go to that website and read their definitions, it's HEAVILY biased. The questions basically ask you how long it's been since you beat your wife, and if you say never, you are a lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosteye View Post
    Don't then. But don't complain that there aren't tools at your disposal to go to school, because there are.

If you're not willing to take a calculated risk to succeed then by all means keep working in minimum wage hell.
    If businesses are not willing to take a calculated risk to succeed by giving educational debt in exchange for a contractual job, then they don't deserve to remain a business.

Student Loans not being repaid is a huge problem, and one that I don't think should be swept under the rug. Personal responsibility is important, and if it means that your paychecks are garnished for the next 10 years, so be it.

These costs should NEVER be absorbed by the taxpayer.

There should be no forgiveness.
    The issue is that college is becoming a requirement, but then the graduate comes out to a job market with no well paying jobs unless you happen to know someone.

Then there is the issue of what happens if you get hurt. Health insurance is a thing but in the united states its severely lacking. Many people where I work have lost their job due to injury since it required multiple doctors visits and eventually they ran out of unpaid occurrences. They've also lost their job due to lack of transportation since they're just barely making basic living expenses.

Though with the extreme costs on employers to give out health insurance, many employers are just resorting to not hiring people on full time so they dont have to provide health insurance. This forces the worker to work two jobs and push their income past the laughably low "free" govt healthcare barrier so the person still cant afford anything.

This is only worsened by the disability system being state driven so in many cases people with very severe disabilities sit around for years waiting for their disability hearing only for it to be rejected because in many states your first submission is always rejected: speaking for my own state, they do this to keep the disabled from getting an income based on their last job. Since after a certain period of time your prior salary no longer matters and you fall into the lowest income bracket and make a disability income so low you can't really survive on it.

But no, clearly its the minimum wage workers fault for not being able to educate or better themselves while struggling to make basic needs. How dare they ever get sick and then never be able to recover. Bunch of welfare queens.
    Last edited by Toppy; 2016-12-22 at 07:05 PM.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    You can definitely live on minimum wage if you have a roommate. Not extravagantly, obviously.
    Thats sort of the debate here though. Should you be forced to live with a roommate? Or should the minimum wage support a single individual to live on their own?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Thats sort of the debate here though. Should you be forced to live with a roommate? Or should the minimum wage support a single individual to live on their own?
    I'd say it does depending on what part of the country you live in.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I'd say it does depending on what part of the country you live in.
    Where ever that is, I have never seen it. No matter where I have seen, it always took either roommates, welfare, or some kind of unique situations or discounts to do so and those people weren't even what I would call living so much as they were just not dying and minimum wage was intended to be enough to actually live on.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    Of all the political quizzes I've seen, despite its flaws, political compass is my favorite.

I think a lot of people have an understanding of what they consider right and wrong but for whatever reason those values and principles don't transfer similarly into their ideology or policies. So when they take the test they are shocked to be labeled a liberal when they claim to be a staunch conservative. Quickly followed by "use my head, not my heart" or something.

A lot of people have flirted with the party of Libertarians for the past four years largely due to being hands-off social issues (and because it's an easy excuse to not identify as a major party). But then they take a quiz and find out they don't agree with Libertarians on economic issues and the quiz labels them a liberal instead, to their horror.
    I agree that it's the best one around. But, it's still shit, and still has highly biased questions. My issue is that the questions are worded in a way that makes it hard to see how it would not steer the user of the quiz to the left.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I believe data is also skewed cost of living varies by city in florida i could buy a house in tampa for a lower monthly payment than it would take to rent a shitty 1 room apartment in a Miami suburb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Of course they can make it on minimum wage. They very fact you don't have hoards of minimum wage workers dying left and right means they are making enough to survive.

Sure they can, they have to living in bording houses where they pay rent by the week and have up to 8 roommates.

or

they also get $$ from your and their own TAXES.
    Food stamps, rent subsidies, cash payments (mostly women/children), heating assistance, etc etc

so instead of having the corporation pay them a standard fair wage that would allow them to live a bare minimum life, they just get the tax payer to do it.

Then the Taxpayer complains when they fight for more money
    Then the Taxpayer complains when they have to pay more taxes
    Then the Taxpayer complains when they see people using food stamps
    Then the Taxpayer complains when they see CEO making millions.

etc etc etc

If people would have just supported the workers of this country, you would not have wage stagnation and deflation in the bottom 98% of the workers in this country since 1998!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtwo View Post
    Utter bullshit
    my sister lives in a three bedroom apartment here in virginia and thats not even $300

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    If businesses are not willing to take a calculated risk to succeed by giving educational debt in exchange for a contractual job, then they don't deserve to remain a business.
    Yeah, you gotta love how the conservatives will demand that workers take any and all burden upon themselves to get better, but we must help businesses as much as possible and make doing business as easy as possible!

In reality we should see both, and Democrats push for both, but while Republicans love easing of business, they hate helping out workers, so the easing for businesses gets passed, while workers get fucked.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Not sure where the "Bernie Map" came from, but this one was around much longer i think...

Maybe "he" did the math or just posted something
    This one is based on 2015 two-bedroom rental unit housing wage
    Represents the hourly wage that a household must earn (working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year) in order to afford the Fair Market Rent for a two-bedroom rental unit, without paying more than 30% of their income.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    Things like gay marriage.. abortion.. maternity leave..
    Those things are not an authoritarian issue. They are a conservative/liberal issue. You can be conservative and not authoritarian although those things typically go hand in hand in america.

For reference, I would be considered more libertarian. I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Student Loans not being repaid is a huge problem, and one that I don't think should be swept under the rug. Personal responsibility is important, and if it means that your paychecks are garnished for the next 10 years, so be it.

These costs should NEVER be absorbed by the taxpayer.

There should be no forgiveness.
    This is the kind of suicidal moralism that ruins nations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by VTerpsichore View Post
    Not sure where the "Bernie Map" came from, but this one was around much longer i think...

Maybe "he" did the math or just posted something
    This one is based on 2015 two-bedroom rental unit housing wage
    Represents the hourly wage that a household must earn (working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year) in order to afford the Fair Market Rent for a two-bedroom rental unit, without paying more than 30% of their income.
    Wow, so Bernie plagiarized the map also? This guy...he not only wants to take your money, he wants to take your intellectual property as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Yeah, you gotta love how the conservatives will demand that workers take any and all burden upon themselves to get better, but we must help businesses as much as possible and make doing business as easy as possible!

In reality we should see both, and Democrats push for both, but while Republicans love easing of business, they hate helping out workers, so the easing for businesses gets passed, while workers get fucked.
    I think that model of an individual signing a contract to work for a company until they repay the educational debt incurred by the business IS helping that business as well as the individual. I also know that this model works well. How do I know? Because it's how the USA military works.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Doesnt matter what you believe, minimum wage is slave labour for a modern country, it should be living wage by law, dont accept the shit your fed, rise up and demand better of your country.

I dont, nor shall I ever respect any business that pays its employees minimum wage, if you need a job done, you should beable to respect the person thats doing it for you.
    I agree minimum wage sucks
    and I more than agree people should get paid for what they are worth
    However, what is the worth of a "dime a dozen employ?"

you can barely survive on minimum wage, but you certainly cant live.