Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Will power is not easy for some, no doubt about that. Support is usually a great place to look to try and control an addiction.

My g/f is a sugar junkie, like no joke... Its unbelievable how much she consumes. She wants to lose weight, ao I told ger to do what I did, cut sugar out of my diet. It wasn't easy to switch to only drinking water, but I did it.

When I tell her she needs to cut back on sugar, she tells me she can't because she has no self control, all tge while shoving sour patch kids down her throat by the handful. Next day she is crying about sores from all the rough sugar.

Eventually, I got her to cut back which is an awesome achievement (provided encouragement and support). But this was short lived because of those who don't get it encourage her to be a sugar junkie by buying her candies and pastries because they know she loves it (enablers).

Now I have $35 worth of xandy in my pantry again, and will have to listen to her self loathing for the next month while she finishes it all.

So in sgort, I hear you, it isn't easy. But encouragement and support, with a good amount of patience can definitely help
    while this is a great notion, it doesn't address the right NOW of the OPs article - how we treat fat people on an airplane

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    then it could be on society and not the individual - an individual can conform to society, correct, but that doesn't mean that society is right - is it right that society as a majority thinks of profits > all? i don't think it is - in other words, majority =/= right, otherwise black slavery would never have ended in the USA (black slavery still happens elsewhere) and women would not have all the rights they enjoy today in USA (alot of women elsewhere do not enjoy all the same rights)
    I would definitely say that obesity is a societal problem over all and that society should have a hand in reducing the rates, but I wouldn't say society is wrong for wanting people to be healthier. Which doesn't necessarily mean thin, but it does mean not large enough to cause health problems and to not negitively impact anyone else. I don't really care if people are larger in general, as long has their healthy, which aren't mutally exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    negatively impact anyone else
    fat people on an airplane are not the only ones who negatively impact others, however. tall, wide and muscular people do as well. because of the size of the seats.

10+ Year Old Account
    fat people on an airplane are not the only ones who negatively impact others, however. tall, wide and muscular people do as well. because of the size of the seats.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for wider seats, but given the profit motive involved for airlines and the fact they pretty much win regardless, it's hard to see them changing anytime soon. I'd imagine it'd be fairly costly to refit all those planes with wider seats, if it's even doable.

What would happen is they would charge someone for 2 seats....then over book the flight and you'd still have 3 people setting in the row. So the airline would be the price of 4 seats for the 3 seats.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

7+ Year Old Account
    mmm, it may be simply a habit to some people. for some people its an addiction and an extremely yummy one at that! it's like telling an alcoholic to just "not drink" when they feel the urge. it's not an actual solution for those people.
    Then those people should get their asses to a psychologist to deal with their issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    Then those people should get their asses to a psychologist to deal with their issues.
    That is, again, a long term thing, that may or may not help, it doesn't address the NOW situations

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    Thats why people save, to do things. Why make it more expensive? People save up for material things, why is a vacation any different? This is so dense of a comment.
    Eat less, save faster

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    That photo is fake.

Also, stop trying to inhibit the profits of a private company. Don't like their prices, don't buy the ticket.
    Not to mention that society as a whole benefits significantly from lower air fares.

Using this reasoning people with small children should have to buy a whole section. I've never had a near the problem with overweight people as I have had with small children on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Not to mention that society as a whole benefits significantly from lower air fares.
    Lower airfares are not going to stop the negative treatment given to people who do not "fit" in the airplane seats, it only lowers how much you need to spend to be treated negatively and treat negatively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    If the prices are higher then there will be some empty seats and people can stretch out and not have to worry about fat people. This leads to less stress, arguments, fights, complaints, etc... making everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    Airlines think the average flyer is 5' 7" tall with a 26-32" waist the way their seats are designed.
    I fly fine as a 6' tall male with a 32" waist (I weigh about 155lbs)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    If the prices are higher then there will be some empty seats and people can stretch out and not have to worry about fat people. This leads to less stress, arguments, fights, complaints, etc... making everyone happy.
    And people wonder why people are murdered?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennu View Post
    Flying with a fat person sitting at your side is rather horrible.

No idea why they haven't put some weight limit on flying so you don't intrude on other passengers space.
    I was sitting once between two fat persons... fortunately, it was a short flight. This is not an experience I want to repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    I was sitting once between two fat persons... fortunately, it was a short flight. This is not an experience I want to repeat.
    It's not pleasant on the other end. I'm not fat, but I'm not a manlet. 6'4, 250 lbs, was stuck in the middle of a 3-seat row with a tiny asian man on either side when flying in SE asia. Neither of them understood the concept of personal space as they took up each arm rest, and took as much room as they physically could.

I wanted to take the one tiny man and use him to beat the other tiny man.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Sitting in the middle always sucks
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    It's not pleasant on the other end. I'm not fat, but I'm not a manlet. 6'4, 250 lbs, was stuck in the middle of a 3-seat row with a tiny asian man on either side when flying in SE asia. Neither of them understood the concept of personal space as they took up each arm rest, and took as much room as they physically could.

I wanted to take the one tiny man and use him to beat the other tiny man.
    Neglecting the personal space of others is a general problem, and it's made worse by small seats. I usually try my best to stick to the space which is granted by my seat (not only in planes, but also in public transportation), and I hate when other people cannot or will not do the same. :/

Deleted
    Yo fatties if you book 2 seats you get 2 meals. good times.