Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is my computer relaly that bad for streaming?? :(

Hello !

I tried messing about with streaming last night and all day today and I'm on the edge of admitting defeat .. Is my computer really that bad for 720p/30 fps streaming? :/

CPU: 2500k @ OC to 4.2Ghz
    GFX: AMD 7970 GE 3GB
    RAM: 16GB

I etc stream WoW and I can see that my CPU is going around 50-80%. When I look at my stream it looks absolute like dog shit!

My speedtest gave me this:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5905464129

in OBS I have these settings:
    https://postimg.org/image/6w8o7dalf/
    https://postimg.org/image/e0qhgehur/

What is wrong ??? Is it my CPU ?? :/

My internet connection shouldn't really be the issue here.

Thanks in advance

What is ur WoW settings.

You should be able to do 720p/30fps (Maybe 60fps) as long as your not trying to run WoW maxed out. Your CPU is quite weak for streaming tho.

Your net is 100% fine.

Edit: Also at what bitrate are you trying to stream? I personally had issues with OBS and switched to the free version of Xsplit and it worked great. Xsplit will have auto settings for best experience.

So you could play with both programs and see how it works out.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-12-23 at 03:11 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    H.264 is using your GPU to encode, not the CPU.

It really depends on what you're referring to as dogshit for stream quality. If it seems blurry to you, it's probably because H.264 encoding isn't the best quality but it's intended to be a low resource using encoding method. Now if you're referring to a laggy stream it's probably because you're trying to use a bitrate of 4500 while Twitch doesn't allow for a bit rate of more than 3500 for non partners (though it's recommended to bring it lower than that). It's probably one of the causes of your problems.

I don't have an AMD GPU so I can't really comment on some of the settings you should or shouldn't use regarding the encoding.

EDIT: I should add, I'd recommend having someone else watch your stream to see the quality rather than yourself. Tends to perform worse when you're viewing your own stream.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2016-12-23 at 03:24 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

birate I sat to 4500, however, the stream still looks absolute terrible ??
    I guess I could give Xsplit a go.

This just saddens me though..Didn't thought my CPU was that bad but I guess its the bottleneck here :|

A 'silly' question though: How can it be the bottleneck since i'm like 20% away from being capped? If I were to get a new CPU would that increase in the picture quality ??

How does picture quality equal cpu vise versa.

- - - Updated - - -

Arbiter: Its very blurry indeed.
    I haven't given Twitch a go, I'm on YouTube platform streaming as I heard it should be more user friendly.

Change your CPU encoding to 'very fast' or 'faster'

Youtube streaming is a joke compared to twitch, get over to twitch my dude. And i have basically the same PC as you do, its 100% fine for streaming just keep messing with settings til you like it. In fact i was able to do 1080p 30 FPS back when i used to stream, people said it looked great.

As Arbiter above stated your using your GPUs power - on the first picutre showing the "encoder" change that to x264, not sure how much this changes as i never messed with this option - didn't need too...

Your net is 100% fine for streaming IF IT IS STABLE - Are you loosing any packets when you stream?
    Having 200gb/100gb is all fine and dandy but if it's not stable it's worth less than 30gb/20gb.

Blurry image sounds like low bitrate but since you said you're streaming at 4500 (which is bonkers) it should be fine, I'm not sure what youtube supports though, Twitch struggles with anything around 3500 upwards.

As said - Change the encoder back to x264 - set bitrate to 3000 or 3500 - this is MORE than enough, and monitor the bottom tab of OBS - to see if you're actually loosing packets

Fascinate: I try give Twitch a go later on. Sounds promising though! Thanks

TwentyTwelve: I changed it to x264 and my CPU jumped to 90-100%
    I got 0 dropped frames. I set the bitrate to 3400 and still it looks very blurry :/

I have been watching youtube guides all freaking day and everything i'm trying seems to not be working..

Here is how it looks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J97A7ViCff4

and btw the quality in this weekend is SUPER compared to the ones on the live stream... :|
    Last edited by Xofa; 2016-12-23 at 03:55 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Fascinate: I try give Twitch a go later on. Sounds promising though! Thanks

TwentyTwelve: I changed it to x264 and my CPU jumped to 90-100%
    I got 0 dropped frames. I set the bitrate to 3400 and still it looks very blurry :/

I have been watching youtube guides all freaking day and everything i'm trying seems to not be working..

Here is how it looks:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=J97A7ViCff4

and btw the quality in this weekend is SUPER compared to the ones on the live stream... :|
    It's going to be somewhat blurry due to resolution. H.264 is always going to be a blurrish image (not so much blurry as pixelated)

I don't know how Youtube handles streams, but you should definitely give twitch a go. Set the Bitrate to something like 2500-3000 at your resolution with x264 encoding using the veryfast preset on main profile and see how that goes. It's not going to be as great as partner streams so don't even assume that it's possible. They have transcoding privileges and the ability to have the source stream at a much higher bit rate leading to a much higher quality stream.

For x264 encoding, it's going to push your CPU to some pretty high usage since it's using what it can to encode, but it's the best quality available. The CPU preset is what determines the quality per bitrate (lower the preset the higher the quality at the specific bitrate but the higher the CPU usage).

Here's a basic guide: https://help.twitch.tv/customer/port...aster-software
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

I think I have found the solution and also the root of the problem(s)

My CPU.

In the video options in OBS, I try set my output resolution to my current display with is 2560x1600 and on the live stream it looked amazing, however, my CPU was dying!
    I think with a new CPU I will have no problems!

Gonna test out Twitch with a bitrate of 2500

My monitor is a Dell U3014 with 2560x1600 resolution. Lower it down to 1080p makes everything look damn awful!
    When I play at this resolution, would it be a "increase" to downscale it to 1080p or does the computer need additional power to process the converting to a lower streaming resolution hmm?

Its most definitely NOT a CPU issue. Like i said i have a 2500k, if i had the upload for it my system could easily stream 1080p 60 FPS my hardware is not a bottleneck in the least. No one on the planet streams at 1440p, its simply too much going on. 1080p 30 FPS is what you should be shooting for as long as you have a 4mbps upload or more.

I think I have found the solution and also the root of the problem(s)

My CPU.

In the video options in OBS, I try set my output resolution to my current display with is 2560x1600 and on the live stream it looked amazing, however, my CPU was dying!
    I think with a new CPU I will have no problems!

Gonna test out Twitch with a bitrate of 2500

My monitor is a Dell U3014 with 2560x1600 resolution. Lower it down to 1080p makes everything look damn awful!
    When I play at this resolution, would it be a "increase" to downscale it to 1080p or does the computer need additional power to process the converting to a lower streaming resolution hmm?
    You haven't read what I said yet. Could have fixed your problem 20 minutes ago.

First, don't sit with your native resolution. Downscale to 1920x1080. Second, check your CPU encoding dropdown and make sure it's set to 'Very Fast' or 'Faster.' Third, you can change your FPS to 30 without sacrificing much in terms of quality but gaining more from your CPU.

That isnt even necessary, they can run their games at native res but just downscale in OBS. Very fast is the preset they should be using, basically dont touch anything in OBS except bitrate and what output res/fps you want. It really is that easy to get a good looking stream.

Fascinate: Then what could else be the problem??
    smaktat: I set it to 1920x1200 and CPU to very fast + 30 FPS, yet it still looks hideous ingame. My CPU is at 99-100% all the time.

Fascinate.. really easy my ass! haah! lol Im pulling out my hairs as of now lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    That isnt even necessary, they can run their games at native res but just downscale in OBS. Very fast is the preset they should be using, basically dont touch anything in OBS except bitrate and what output res/fps you want. It really is that easy to get a good looking stream.
    That's exactly what I just said...

smaktat: I set it to 1920x1200 and CPU to very fast + 30 FPS, yet it still looks hideous ingame. My CPU is at 99-100% all the time.

Fascinate.. really easy my ass! haah! lol Im pulling out my hairs as of now lol!
    Ya you have something set wrong, OBS is very light. Reset OBS to default settings and just set your bitrate and output resolution. Use game capture when available, its much much less demanding than screen capture.

What you are seeing in game should not be affected, your game should be at 2560 60 fps. The only scaling going on will be whats being output to your stream channel

Dude, keep your stream's resolution at your monitor's native resolution. I'm pretty sure there's a dropdown that says "Native Resolution." Change the property for "Downscale" to 1920x1080. Change the FPS to 30. Look for a final dropdown called "CPU Encoding." Change that to "Very Fast." Literally that's all you need to do. If you changed CBR or other settings then just reinstall the basic settings and start over.

https://obsproject.com/forum/resourc...nd-twitch.377/
    Last edited by smaktat; 2016-12-23 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smaktat View Post
    Dude, keep your stream's resolution at your monitor's native resolution. I'm pretty sure there's a dropdown that says "Native Resolution." Change the property for "Downscale" to 1920x1080. Change the FPS to 30. Look for a final dropdown called "CPU Encoding." Change that to "Very Fast." Literally that's all you need to do. If you changed CBR or other settings then just reinstall the basic settings and start over.
    You are wording things wrong, you mean keep his GAME resolution to native not stream. Lets not confuse him lol.

He was running his bitrate at 4500, that's probably alot of his issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    You are wording things wrong, you mean keep his GAME resolution to native not stream. Lets not confuse him lol.
    I thought I made it pretty clear when I said to look for the dropdown called Native Resolution. He has no idea what he's changing. Imo he needs to figure out why he's changing these things instead of just skimming Youtube guides and willy nilly changing settings. He may be watching guides, but has no clue what they're trying to tell him or just don't at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    He was running his bitrate at 4500, that's probably alot of his issue.
    We're past this.