Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I suck at aiming but I don't want to

Hello noobfriendly Overwatchcommunity,

Beeing bad at aiming started with quake 3 arena and it still didn't get better.
    Thanks to overwatch I'm ok with it because I'm usually playing a very good Reinhardt, Mercy or any other character where aiming isn't that important.

I did a long break at overwatch and now I came back and tested Sombra and god I love this Character, BUT I totally suck at aiming. When I try to gank a Widowmaker from behind she just needs to jump around and slap me with her rifle and all I can do is blink away or die.

How can I get better?
    Is this a thing about talent or training?
    I spent like an hour at the practice range, adjusted my mouse sensi, disabled acceleration and got some practice in drag aiming and it got a bit better against practice range robots, but I still suck at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    Hello noobfriendly Overwatchcommunity,

Beeing bad at aiming started with quake 3 arena and it still didn't get better.
    Thanks to overwatch I'm ok with it because I'm usually playing a very good Reinhardt, Mercy or any other character where aiming isn't that important.

I did a long break at overwatch and now I came back and tested Sombra and god I love this Character, BUT I totally suck at aiming. When I try to gank a Widowmaker from behind she just needs to jump around and slap me with her rifle and all I can do is blink away or die.

How can I get better?
    Is this a thing about talent or training?
    I spent like an hour at the practice range, adjusted my mouse sensi, disabled acceleration and got some practice in drag aiming.
    plug a controller and and test it out with that. When i play bf1 on pc i use controller 100% of the time. Im perfectly capable with the kbm but the controller always felt smoother for me. But really its a practice thing, play with sensitivitys and find which method works best for you. A shit mouse and mousepad will also hinder your operation, make sure the bottom of the mouse is clean and your mouspad isnt ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't bother practicing on bots, practice against players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

While I suck at aiming too, I embrace it and playing front liners or supports in online shooter games with my friends.
    So when I play over watch, normally someone who doesn't have to aim as much, symmetra, lucio, mercy, mei, junkrat or hanzo.

However, if you want to get better, just play those characters that require aiming more. Adjusting your mouse sensitivity is a good start, but how do you feel when you have to aim in an intense situation? Do you slightly panic? I know I slightly do and I always try and lead my shots, which is why I miss. Since everyone that needs "accuracy" are hit scan.

However, keep calm while aiming and practice. Other players that generally gravitate towards those rolls have had years of practice too with other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    try to keep your distance. like, not too much obviously. but enough to keep a comfortable view of widow. if she runs because you can't aim, just wait and let her set up again when you are able to aim again

its hard to shoot someone you keep frantically running in and out of at point blank range

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Don't bother practicing on bots, practice against players.
    Playing against 6 Ana bots with Headshots only is actually pretty decent. The practice range is pointless.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Playing against 6 Ana bots with Headshots only is actually pretty decent. The practice range is pointless.
    Wait.. you can set those rules up? O.o where? Because then I need to practice

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Wait.. you can set those rules up? O.o where? Because then I need to practice
    custom game option when you enter the play menu. All the way on the right.

Adding ai should be straight forward and obvious.

Hit the setting snac scroll down through there. Eventually you'll see headshot only. This feature basically renders ana and most ai kind of... well... incapable of killing you but yuo can still sit there and try to headshot them all.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    custom game option when you enter the play menu. All the way on the right.

Adding ai should be straight forward and obvious.

Hit the setting snac scroll down through there. Eventually you'll see headshot only. This feature basically renders ana and most ai kind of... well... incapable of killing you but yuo can still sit there and try to headshot them all.
    Thanks! Will help me practice my headshots on Widowmaker

Got the game last night, so trying out all the heroes to get at least a feel for them

Lower your mouse sensitivity tonnes. You will have to swing it across your mousemat a tonne more to turn around; but for aiming those headshots etc. the slower movement of your crosshair will help. Find a level that suits you. Was far and away the best "how do I aim in OW" tip I@ve received so far. I was at 29.something lowered it to 12 for a bit, suddenly Mcree wasn't unplayable...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

the ana headshot party is easy to set up for sniper heroes who get benefit of headshots.

McCree, soldier, and other heroes who benefit from aiming training tend to need to change up the damage output in some way cause 6 ana's chain tossing their nano grenade can heal through almost anything you can dish out.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Lower your mouse sensitivity tonnes. You will have to swing it across your mousemat a tonne more to turn around; but for aiming those headshots etc. the slower movement of your crosshair will help. Find a level that suits you. Was far and away the best "how do I aim in OW" tip I@ve received so far. I was at 29.something lowered it to 12 for a bit, suddenly Mcree wasn't unplayable...
    Ill 2nd this.

The Pro level folks play with 400-800 DPI and like 3-5 Sensitivity. This makes it require full arm movements for aiming. I guess this is a thing now.

I used to be top level back in CS1.6 and Day of Defeat days, I alway had my sensitivity way up and was good at twitch aiming. Somehow that doesn't work as well in OW.

I started OW at 1600dpi and like 40 sens and found I kept over aiming. Im god-awful at slow mouse aiming so I've been backing it down a little bit every time I play. I think I'm around 17 sensitivity now and I find that after a couple games adjustment period, I'm doing a lot better. I think Ill probably Stop between 10-15 sensitivity as i'll be running out of mouse pad space.

^ This. I do this with McCree on occasion. The Halloween event, 'Junkensteins Revenge' was also great practise for shooting at moving targets. Hopefully Blizz releases more PVE content.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Ill 2nd this.

The Pro level folks play with 400-800 DPI and like 3-5 Sensitivity. This makes it require full arm movements for aiming. I guess this is a thing now.

I used to be top level back in CS1.6 and Day of Defeat days, I alway had my sensitivity way up and was good at twitch aiming. Somehow that doesn't work as well in OW.

I started OW at 1600dpi and like 40 sens and found I kept over aiming. Im god-awful at slow mouse aiming so I've been backing it down a little bit every time I play. I think I'm around 17 sensitivity now and I find that after a couple games adjustment period, I'm doing a lot better. I think Ill probably Stop between 10-15 sensitivity as i'll be running out of mouse pad space.
    Same here. Everything died when I sniped back in the days of MoH:AA and CoD1, and playing Instagib in UT99/2004 (Played in top EU leagues) but in Overwatch I can't hit shit with heroes like McCree and Widow. Which is still weird since I was a good shot in the Battlefield games too. Overwatch really is different somehow. But then again, I do prefer the classic type of shooters, where everybody is 'the same' compared to this moba-like shooter.

I might give these sensitivity tips a go, see how it goes.

Also, lol @ the guy suggesting a controller.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys,

you're talking about mouse sensitivity - and I wonder: where? Do you mean the normal PC "speed" setting of a mouse?
    Other than that on my Logitech G I can set the DPI and some smoothing, but that is it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairesha View Post
    Hey guys,

you're talking about mouse sensitivity - and I wonder: where? Do you mean the normal PC "speed" setting of a mouse?
    Other than that on my Logitech G I can set the DPI and some smoothing, but that is it.
    In the controls options on Overwatch, there is a sensitivity slider.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2016-12-28 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, came to suggest it. Trying to find the video now where I saw it recommended. All "Hard" difficulty Anas, Headshots only, Damage at 200%, skirmish mode. Ana can't kill you since she can't headshot, but on "hard" she moves around a lot like a real player, so she'll be good aiming practice. You can only kill her if you headshot.

Less stress than practicing in a real game where you can throw the match, but way more effective for improvement than playing an AI game or practice range since the default AI is dumb with movement and you can also whittle them down with poorly aimed shots.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Eh, I'm not a big supporter of the 6 Anna thing.

They don't jump, there is no threat to you, and no abilities will be used.

It may improve your aim for doing the Anna match itself, but I hardly find useful in real game scenarios.

Lower your sensitivity, invest into a mouse that doesn't lag on your screen, and most importantly aim with your arm instead of your wrist. Your arm can accomplish much more with "muscle memory" then your wrist can. Also make sure your sensitivity is high enough to do a full 180 with a quick jerk of your arm. Practice makes perfect.

Hope this helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    They don't jump, there is no threat to you, and no abilities will be used.
    That's the point. It gives people a place to start working on just aiming without having to worry about being fragged constantly, since you're not getting a lot of practice in a real match if for every couple shots you take you also have to spend time waiting a rez timer and running back. It's just a starting point to get good about tracking the reticle, getting it over the heads quickly, and adjusting your control settings to find what works best for you. It's not intended to be a replacement for real play, it's intended to be way for people who are struggling to even contribute in real play to "catch up" so they feel more comfortable to practice there. It's a nice step between Quick Play and, say, a site like aimbooster.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |