Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I don't care if i'm eating a slice of steak off Godzilla..i'm putting HP Sauce on that shit.

I get the feeling those that like the well done steaks are ordering shit cuts of shit grade meat. Like a steak from Applebees, do w/e with that trash is basically ground round.

I think most of us who are opposed to well done steaks are talking about choice or prime grade NY strips or better. Our argument is that cooking a GOOD cut of meat to well done is a waste of THAT cut, you could order a much cheaper piece of meat and get the same results. Do what you want, its your money, but I dont see the point in cooking a 70 dollar steak to well done, its a damn waste.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    That's it, you show 'em by eating something you willfully decided to overpay for! "A good piece of meat for $XX? Hmm, well there's a guy over there I think is a dick because he knows what good food is, so I'll just get that $XX of good meat burned to show him! Hahaha, he'll be so mad as I eat this cardboard, what a tool!"

Love the logic. I sincerely hope you live your entire life that way. Would make me absolutely overjoyed.

That said, it's simple: People who haven't had a properly prepared steak don't know what they're missing. Overcooking all the flavor out of a steak is how bad cooks hide the fact that they're bad cooks. And because those same people have never had a properly prepared steak, they're completely and utterly ignorant about why so many other people are taken back when they hear them order a well-done steak. For them, their ignorance truly is bliss. Unfortunately, it also turns them into the same exact irrational assholes they accuse the "snobs" of being, but somehow they firmly believe themselves to be taking the high road in the whole ordeal.

Long story short: Medium or lighter-cooked steaks that are properly cooked and prepared are superior for all sorts of completely objective chemical reasons. Overcooked cardboard is just a way to hide shitty cooks and convince the ignorant that they're not as ignorant as they actually are on the subject.
    I tried rare just this last December.

It was disgusting. Mushy, watery, completely unenjoyable.

I know it's hard for steak snobs to understand people can have different tastes (they must have missed that day in kindergarten), but it was the worst steak I've ever had.

I'l stick with medium well/well done, thanks. I'll give a shit about yours or anyone else's opinion on the matter when you're the one paying for my steak. Until then, it's only so much white noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    Are you people really this dense? I'm not telling you whats best for you. I'm telling you whats best for the meat. You might not like perfectly cooked steak, but that doesn't change the fact that rare to medium rare is still the best way to eat a steak.
    I'd say the best way to eat anything is to eat it how one likes and as such as subjective as the likes themselves. But then again I feel no need to be a snobbish, pretentious fake connoisseur with a stick up my ass so long it can touch my tonsils, so what do I know.

"How sad is this? That you asked for a steak to be cooked well-done, okay? Now whatever quality of beef it is, it's gone past any form of taste when you've cooked it well-done" "I don't eat steak well-done, alright? That's your prerogative because you're the customer, but unfortunately you're never going to identify the quality of beef when the steak is cooked well-done" -Gordon Ramsay

Yes, just like a master chef.

I am aware of this video. So we've got two conflicting statements from the same person. On one hand mine, where he challenges some people and is supposed to judge their skills, and on the other hand yours, when he's being pestered by a guy on a camera while he's known to be snarky and not exactly the embodiment of patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    I'd say the best way to eat anything is to eat it how one likes and as such as subjective as the likes themselves. But then again I feel no need to be a snobbish, pretentious fake connoisseur with a stick up my ass so long it can touch my tonsils, so what do I know.

I am aware of this video. So we've got two conflicting statements from the same person. On one hand mine, where he challenges some people and is supposed to judge their skills, and on the other hand yours, when he's being pestered by a guy on a camera while he's known to be snarky and not exactly the embodiment of patient.
    Just to be clear, I'm a snob because I'm stating facts? You sound like the people you so often criticize.

The only difference is, in your video, hes not promoting well done-steak, hes asking people to cook steaks to well-done, there's a big difference. Like I've been saying, just because rare to medium-rare is the best overall steak doesn't mean that's the only way people order steak. So the exercise in your video was for the chefs to correctly cook three wal-mart steaks at different temperatures, rare, medium-rare and well-done, and of course you only show us the well-done steak.

My video, shows Gordon giving his actual opinion on well-done steak, and as you can see he thinks it's shit. You tried to pass your video off as proof a master chef likes well done steak, that's not the case, did you even watch the video?

Just to be clear, I'm a snob because I'm stating facts? You sound like the people you so often criticize.

The only difference is, in your video, hes not promoting well done-steak, hes asking people to cook steaks to well-done, there's a big difference. Like I've been saying, just because rare to medium-rare is the best overall steak doesn't mean that's the only way people order steak. So the exercise in your video was for the chefs to correctly cook three wal-mart steaks at different temperatures, rare, medium-rare and well-done, and of course you only show us the well-done steak.

My video, shows Gordon giving his actual opinion on well-done steak, and as you can see he thinks it's shit. You tried to pass your video off as proof a master chef likes well done steak, that's not the case, did you even watch the video?
    Yes, I'm sure he said there's an art to cooking a steak well done and the bit about cooking it to perfection by an accident. So, did you? And you're a snob because you're stating that your own opinions on subjective things like "what's the best steak" as facts, not for stating facts. That's the actual big difference in this exchange. I mean, there's already a difference between rare and medium-rare. Different people like one more than the other. So, are rare and medium-rare still equally "best" regardless of said preferences? If so, using what moronic amazing scale, pray tell?

And "so often criticize"? I made whooping 8 posts in this thread, only two were about the snobbery some people exhibit when they go all One True Palate. Not my fault you're among them. And while few others were aimed at arguing against people going full retard about well done steak as well, it was on other aspects and still roughly half my posts were on completely different things (hell, at least one was against another person defending well-done steaks). If 2-4 posts quantify as "so often" to you, what label do yours 24 posts get? "Immense amount"? Or is it already "overwhelming" territory? I want to know when to cut the conversation so that I don't fry your synapses with ginormous numbers and get sued for damages.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2017-01-03 at 02:31 AM.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I'm sure he said there's an art to cooking a steak well done and the bit about cooking it to perfection by an accident. So, did you? And you're a snob because you're stating that your own opinions on subjective things like "what's the best steak" as facts, not for stating facts. That's the actual big difference in this exchange.
    I'm not sure I believe you, you're a smart guy, I don't think you missed the context. Just in case you actually missed it, I'll go slow.

He asked them to cook three steaks. Three. One was to be cooked rare. The second, was to be cooked medium. What happened to those videos?

The third, and only one you actually showed us, was to be cooked well-done. So yes he did say there was an art to cooking a steak well-done, and that they failed to cook their steaks to well-done perfection, that's the context of this challenge. Cook a steak to well-done perfection, which is around 165-170 degrees. I'm sure if they overcooked their steaks for the first two rounds they would have been guilty of imperfectly cooking rare or medium-rare steaks as well. Do you really not understand this?

Do you understand what an opinion is? I only stated well-done steaks are drier, tougher and have less taste. Are those opinions?

I said the people you so often criticize, nowhere in my post did I specifically say people in this thread or anything about your post count. Is it really 24 already? What can I say, telling people well-done steaks are drier, tougher and blander seems to trigger them, and most of the time I respond unless they are trolling or shitposting.
    Last edited by Steve French; 2017-01-03 at 02:01 AM. Reason: responding to my quotes edit

I personally can't stand well done meat. But I also grew up in a culture where raw meat is a staple

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    blood = water + hemoglobin/myoglobin + other stuff in relatively insignificant quantities

argument against the use of the word blood is semantical so please stop.
    It's the dihydrogen monoxide that makes it dangerous.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Love? Not loved? Aren't you a vegetarian?
    I used to, but then I moved to the sea and kinda started eating seafood (again)...
    Basically, I do not eat meat and eggs, but I do eat seafood and drink milk. The first two still gross me out entirely; and while there is no real logic attached to it, it's just what feels "okay" to me personally.

Just like I can't say why I always was grossed out by even the slightest hint of red colour in meat. Regardless of the type.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Perfection is a relative term that is based on the thing in question, unless you're trying to suggest you think talk of cooking a well-done steak to perfection is an endorsement of a well-done steak as the single best food item (or at least entrée) imaginable, which would be an extremely strange way to interpret it. Steve French's assessment of the video you used is essentially correct in that Gordon Ramsay is criticizing them for incorrectly preparing a well-done steak by failing to cook it past medium and at no point in time does he remark on the virtues or lack thereof of a well-done steak relative to any other dish or preparation style. On the other hand, in his own video, Ramsay directly criticizes that level of doneness and more or less calls it trash that ruins the meat.
    And on yet other occasions he was completely indifferent about it while just adding personally likes medium-rare (IIRC) the most. So, again and as I already said in previous post, he hasn't been particularly consistent on this. And what you said would be a strange way to interpret it is indeed a strange way to interpret it, which is most likely why I didn't interpret it that way. Still, you didn't address the bit about him calling the preparation of it an art (and I'm not really seeing the compatibility between turning something into trash and art). Back to the perfection, yes, perfection is relative. Huge-ass discovery right there. Just so happens the actual person eating the food is one of the factors that makes things relative in terms of the culinary realm. Which for some magical reason you conveniently disregard throughout the entire thread. But hey, you're not alone, you have Steve French to pat each other on the back in ridiculing people for things you deem OK to be ridiculed.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2017-01-03 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I used to, but then I moved to the sea and kinda started eating seafood (again)...
    Basically, I do not eat meat and eggs, but I do eat seafood and drink milk. The first two still gross me out entirely; and while there is no real logic attached to it, it's just what feels "okay" to me personally.

Just like I can't say why I always was grossed out by even the slightest hint of red colour in meat. Regardless of the type.
    Ah, I see. I was just remembering things wrong from some previous thread and thought you are one and got curious if you're the weird type of vegetarians that eat fish anyway, since I've never met one personally and was wondering about the reasoning behind this. But since you acknowledge you aren't one anymore and hell, even that there's no logic behind such a position, I guess I'm still out of luck :3

And well, I've got my own quirks about coloration of meat (and to variedly lesser degree, other food) in that bits that have a color mismatch with the rest gross me out, so I understand the second part. And don't get me started on solid(-ish) fat in the meat <.<
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2017-01-03 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Steak meat is too thick for the harmful bacteria to penetrate. That's why it stays on the surface and why it's safe for us to consume it rare.
    Again, no it's not. All muscles is permeated by, if nothing else like interstitial space, blood vessels allowing for penetration. It's just a matter of degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

7+ Year Old Account
    you have Steve French to pat each other on the back in ridiculing people for things you deem OK to be ridiculed.
    Instead of making passive aggressive comments about me in posts to other people, why not say something about my actual post? I think I've been civil in my responses to you and you seem to have nothing but utter contempt for me for some reason. Who's being ridiculed? Are you angry I called someone dense for asking me the same question I've been asked 10 times in this same thread? That meets your requirements for "ridiculed"?

Deleted
    And don't get me started on solid(-ish) fat in the meat <.<
    Ugh, yes. That's another thing that always immediately put me off any type of meat. Gross. >.>

Well, I was once in a restaurant and I wanted a tuna steak, but I like it cooked until almost all the color is cooked out.... I told the waitress this and she said the chef will only make it rare. I said I am paying and I want it cooked more. It came out rare. I walked out.

When people pay for a meal, like a steak, IMO, the chef should set aside his or her personal bias and just give the customer what they want. I sure as hell won't pay for food to come out any other way than the way I asked for it.

I don't think he's saying well done = perfection.

I think he's saying that an enjoyable well done steak ( i.e. not ruined ) has to be cooked very carefully, or else it'll taste like cardboard.

Dear OP,

I've had people say that I'm also doing it wrong when I want my meat any type of rare. I order my meat medium rare because if just rare it's usually served a little raw. It's all opinion and some people just feel strongly about simple things in life and wont loosen up.

Quote Originally Posted by zevah View Post
    I'm Argentinian, meat is in my blood. I was raised with meat on my plate and it's popular from 1900

I (and 99%) of my country eat meat well done.

You know nothing americans.
    You ruin a lot of the nutrients and flavor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill tell you why. If you don't like it well done nothing worse than ordering a steak at a restaurant only to have it come out well done. This happens to everyone and it always pisses them off.

When they hear people talk about a well done steak thats what they think about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zevah View Post
    I'm Argentinian, meat is in my blood. I was raised with meat on my plate and it's popular from 1900

I (and 99%) of my country eat meat well done.

You know nothing americans.
    1900 thats cute. Texas was the beef capital of the world long before that. You mealy adopted the meat I was born in it molded by it I did not see a salad till I was a man.