Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    you think those people are badass ?
    I would suggest reading some military scifi (or listening on audio books). Some of those characters are so far beyond badass, that they make Kirk and co look like a buch of tribbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    It is because outer space is romanticized very much like the old west was. There is an inherent lawlessness that exists in many all outer space movies and to survive in this free-for-all kind of environment requires a sly cunning individual. This is going to be similar in any of your post apocalyptic movies as well. Case in point Mad Max.
    Space may be the final frontier but it's made in a Hollywood basement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because non-badass space people aren't interesting?

Why is this a question?
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I'm a little disappointed in a thread about military badasses in space, no one mentioned 40k, until just now.

Ciaphas Cain>all, in a universe where everything is superhuman, clad in power armor or Zerg on super steroids (Tyranids), this normal ass guy with no power armor does some pretty crazy shit, and is humble about it the whole time.

Why are fictional military people in space so badass? Because it's more fun that way.
    I like the series, but it's pretty much comic relief in the form of an ultimate mary sue who takes on shit that should be impossible for a mere human to take on.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Starfleet isn't a military. So Kirk and Picard can't be included in that. The Enterprise is on a mission of exploration.
    think this harkens back more to the olden days of maritime activity and the action of impressment/press gangs and/or the need to activate maritime units for military action. I could be dead wrong but its a good theory in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    I am talking about military people who operate in outer space with cool looking spaceships. Commander Shepard, Captain Sheridan, Kirk and Picard, Honor Harrington, Master Chief John-117, Jack "Black Jack" Geary, Poe Dameron, Wedge Antilles, Starbuck, etc.

Can a character be too badass?
    im sorry but your going to link poe? are you fucking kidding me? Over wedge or Corran horn? Get the fuck out of here.

or the whole unit.

http://overmental.com/wp-content/upl...05/RS-crew.jpg

or wraith squadron

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20151007054748

To exist in space requires a stronger ego. Without peers, the consequences of their actions are also far more significant.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Roger Wilco disagrees with all of you.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Space may be the final frontier but it's made in a Hollywood basement.
    I see what you did there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I'm a little disappointed in a thread about military badasses in space, no one mentioned 40k, until just now.

Ciaphas Cain>all, in a universe where everything is superhuman, clad in power armor or Zerg on super steroids (Tyranids), this normal ass guy with no power armor does some pretty crazy shit, and is humble about it the whole time.

Why are fictional military people in space so badass? Because it's more fun that way.
    No you point out one important thing the power scale between the protagonist and antagonist, a Primarch (genetic super soldiers) is not to badass even though their powers make them demigods, becuse most of the time they fight other entities that also have powers like demigods, or other Primarch. Both the protagonist and antagonist are both ridiculously powerful hence nobady is to overpowerd or to much of a badasses.

I have not read Ciaphas Cain but it obviously of your criticism that the power scale is faulty. The protagonist a mortal man hence very weak in 40k standard, and the antagonist is the Tyranids very powrfull beings, becuse the very weak force wins over the very powrfull force repeatedly, that make the veak force overpowerd and to badass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    or wraith squadron
    I did like the wraith squadron for its plots and intrigues like the Ysanne Isard prison. But more or less yawned over most of the space combat, we know noting can withstand the protagonists squadron.
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2017-01-03 at 01:02 PM.

I did like the wraith squadron for its plots and intrigues like the Ysanne Isard prison. But more or less yawned over most of the space combat, we know noting can withstand the protagonists squadron.
    Thats why both lost heaps of people? I mean fuck look at rogue squadron durring the vong invasion, only person who didnt die was jania.

Deleted
    Thats why both lost heaps of people? I mean fuck look at rogue squadron durring the vong invasion, only person who didnt die was jania.
    I did not continue to read the vong invasion era of books, only the first 9? x-wing books.

EDIT: did look it up on wiki, a 10:e book was given out much later.
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2017-01-03 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    I did not continue to read the vong invasion era of books, only the first 5-6? books.
    u should, really shows the mortality of people in a universe where important characters hardly ever died.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehm..space marines?

(yes they have a movie)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Ehm..space marines?

(yes they have a movie)
    no they dont, its horrible and we dont speak of it.

no they dont, its horrible and we dont speak of it.
    I will tear a tyranid- sized hole in a wall if The Lord Inquisitor comes out the same quality as Ultramarines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humppaveikko View Post
    I will tear a tyranid- sized hole in a wall if The Lord Inquisitor comes out the same quality as Ultramarines.
    That thing?

Its already a better quality.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    Game over man, game over
    Yeahhhh buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    This cannot be real...
    those guys are only 15 years or so old... im 30 and i have seen like several 100 episodes as kid / teen, but nowadays (the last 15 years) they are only running on weird special tv channels late at night (europe/ germany). this kids probably have never seen a floppy disk or a NES too.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Yeahhhh buddy.

I found out a pretty significant percentage of my friends in my VOIP group haven't seen Alien/Aliens so we watched it last week, they almost all preferred Aliens and they all loved Velasquez and Drake the most (other than Hudson, of course)