Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hook 2.0 coming soon

Coming soon! In fact we plan to have it up on the PTR asap (might be this week).

For a bit of tldr; for what the changes are:

Firstly, the hook victim will now move in to the position directly in front of Roadhog, rather than just a straight line towards him. There is a cap on how far 'to the side' you can be pulled, so you can't just hook someone, spin 180, and dump someone off a cliff. This part (along with some other bug fixes) should generally make the hook feel more consistent as to where the victims get pulled.

Secondly, the line-of-sight check to see if a hook should connect or not is now checked from Roadhog's position, instead of the hook's position. This basically means the hook can't connect to targets that Roadhog himself can't see.

Lastly, there is a new persistent line-of-sight check back to Roadhog once the hook has landed. If this check fails, the hook breaks off and returns to Roadhog. This means if you get hooked and move out of LOS quickly (either you dashed, were falling, were pushed, etc), the hook will now break early and not pull the target.

Overall these changes will likely make Roadhog a bit weaker, but we'll evaluate his performance once we get people playing him and make adjustments as necessary.
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/over...page=3#post-58

cant wait to shred this mother fucker every time i see him

Deleted
    time to change main

you should be able to hook someone to you if hook landed. even if he was jumped to hide.

If target had rope around them and you pull the rope it doesnt care if target is around corner or nor. you just pull him to you.
    Last edited by mmoc2ce944bfe1; 2017-01-04 at 09:11 AM.

As someone who mains the hog, its about dammed time, Ive had so many bull shit moments, some of which I've even apologised to the person I hooked because it shouldn't have landed.

However, I disagree with the last change, if you're hooked you're hooked. lets take tracer for example, if you hook her and she dashes behind a corner, under this new change (if I get this right) the hook breaks. What should happen is the hook distance should accommodate for this, for example, lets say dash is 2 meters, she should still be pulled to you, but land 2 meters away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    time to change main

you should be able to hook someone to you if hook landed. even if he was jumped to hide.

If target had rope around them and you pull the rope it doesnt care if target is around corner or nor. you just pull him to you.
    Yea, this sounds just retarded. It's a fucking iron chain, why would it care if someone jumped around a corner with it? This change just makes it so that it's next to impossible to hook anyone who's strafing near a corner, as if that wasn't hard already.

Imo the first and second points are fine and good changes. The third one sounds just stupid. Even more failed hooks because Lucio accidentally boops the target same time it gets hooked.

I think the hook should not break up for any fucking reason. If it connects, it connects. Other than that - we all saw it coming. If the hog is too weak now, I'll just change to faceroll d.va.

Deleted
    That change target will always be infront of you is good one tho. Hope this will fix that crap if you hook someone to close to you eventually ending he is even further then he was before or even move him to the side and make you miss shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a hook. On a chain.

People complain about how the hook travels through objects. In most of these cases, it's just the animation not going around them.

This means any vertically moving hero will be too hard to hit, especially if it's near an object. This is especially bad against heroes on a roof while Roadhog is on the ground. If you throw a hook on a chain on a roof at a spot you can't see someone but you know they are there, it will still hit.

If you hook a Hanzo peeking around a corner and he ducks back, the hook still hits and should pull him around the corner.

This doesn't address legitimate bugs, like when the hook hits, and then just...lets go, for no reason. This may or may not address the issue with stairs. They're admitting it will make him weaker (they're right), but they're not going to address anything else. I'm not gonna spend months not playing one of my favorite characters because they "fixed" him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Good, should stop some of the more bullshit hooks.
    For every hook you see that is "bullshit" for Roadhog, there are ten that were bullshit for the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    As someone who mains the hog, its about dammed time, Ive had so many bull shit moments, some of which I've even apologised to the person I hooked because it shouldn't have landed.

However, I disagree with the last change, if you're hooked you're hooked. lets take tracer for example, if you hook her and she dashes behind a corner, under this new change (if I get this right) the hook breaks. What should happen is the hook distance should accommodate for this, for example, lets say dash is 2 meters, she should still be pulled to you, but land 2 meters away.
    If im understanding correctly the way this works is as followed, you throw your hook, and the tracer dashes behind LOS IMMEDIATELY (expecting the hook) although she gets 'hooked' because she was in your LOS when you launched it, it fails. But if you hook, it lands and then she attempts to dash... nothing happens, she's hooked.

In a nutshell this change to my understanding will prevent people from running behind a wall, getting hooked still and being pulled through the wall (Which has happened for and against me a few times).

Quote Originally Posted by Christonya View Post
    If im understanding correctly the way this works is as followed, you throw your hook, and the tracer dashes behind LOS IMMEDIATELY (expecting the hook) although she gets 'hooked' because she was in your LOS when you launched it, it fails. But if your hook, it lands and then she attempts to dash... nothing happens, she's hooked.

In a nutshell this change to my understanding will prevent people from running behind a wall, getting hooked still and being pulled through the wall (Which has happened for and against me a few times)
    Ah right, in that case yes, thats completely fair,

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah right, in that case yes, thats completely fair,
    Tie favors the shooter. In the specific case of Tracer, it's the only way you're ever going to hit her.

salty roadhog main tears.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    It's a hook. On a chain.

People complain about how the hook travels through objects. In most of these cases, it's just the animation not going around them.

This means any vertically moving hero will be too hard to hit, especially if it's near an object. This is especially bad against heroes on a roof while Roadhog is on the ground. If you throw a hook on a chain on a roof at a spot you can't see someone but you know they are there, it will still hit.

If you hook a Hanzo peeking around a corner and he ducks back, the hook still hits and should pull him around the corner.

This doesn't address legitimate bugs, like when the hook hits, and then just...lets go, for no reason. This may or may not address the issue with stairs. They're admitting it will make him weaker (they're right), but they're not going to address anything else. I'm not gonna spend months not playing one of my favorite characters because they "fixed" him.

- - - Updated - - -

For every hook you see that is "bullshit" for Roadhog, there are ten that were bullshit for the target.
    It was broken. Now it's going to be fixed. That's not bullshit for anyone except for those who wont agree that the hook was bugged as hell. You could hook a person behind a wall without seeing them by just shooting your hook 3 meters above them, this happened in Apex Grand Finals even and it was a joke

+1
    It's a big ass rusty hook, on a metal chain, thicker than tracers biceps.
    If the little bugger gets hooked and it dashes at this moment, it should be split in half. FATALITY!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    I think the hook should not break up for any fucking reason. If it connects, it connects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Yea, this sounds just retarded. It's a fucking iron chain, why would it care if someone jumped around a corner with it?
    do all roadhog mains have brain damage this bad

you cant just pull someone through a wall.

of all examples tracer is probably worst you could pick lol

I mean I get where you are coming from with the example and I do not agree with you at all but honestly tracer deserves any break she can get as she only has 150HP and is dogged worse by the participation trophy implementation of favor the shooter than any other hero in the game due to her fast paced and high octane playstyle.

It's amazing what Soon has done with Misfits playing her but I can only assume he is not even human

Now if only they could fix the number of Koreans showup on USEast and UK regions...

The Latency Compensation "Balance" is atrocious. Roadhog hooking people around/through entire buildings with the Koreans, Brazlians, and even the Russians, is absolutely insanely favored for the "Guest" players on the "Local Region" hosted games.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Deleted
    Hitboxes are still ridicilous, taking a breather still gives damage reduction which it shouldn't. Moving along now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Roadhog's hook is one area where the developer's philosphy of "favor the shooter" really breaks down. It's one thing to get headshot as you duck behind a corner, but with the hook there's so much visual feedback that telegraphs how wrong it was. I've been jerked through ridiculous amounts of terrain before, and I've had Roadhogs apologize for how bullshit some were.

I don't think the LoS needs to be persistent for the entire duration of the pull, but they definitely need it to check enough frames to ensure that the recipient doesn't witness themselves getting hooked through a wall and pulled through the level's geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    you cant just pull someone through a wall.
    I can pull the chain, and the target would come around the wall or over it. You know, like in real life? What you're talking about is texture problems and animation, when stuff should come around, it just goes through textures. It's no the hooks problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol whatever helps you try to justify that bullshit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    I can pull the chain, and the target would come around the wall or over it. You know, like in real life? What you're talking about is texture problems and animation, when stuff should come around, it just goes through textures. It's no the hooks problem.
    This! 10/10