10+ Year Old Account
    For reference comparing Ryan to Rodgers https://imgur.com/a/IsOD5

Quote Originally Posted by Pockitt View Post
    Quarterback Rating is a bullshit stat made by ESPN anyways. It's been proven time and time again that it isn't an accurate way to measure a quarterback. Let me repeat again. Rodgers was NOT bad in his first 10 games. Was it bad for his standards? Yes. But he still had 25 touchdowns to only 7 picks. As far as him "consistently" putting his team in a winning position, he was literally responsible for every single Packer touchdown in that supposedly awful 10 game stretch for him. He's still responsible for almost 80% of the Packers points scored this year. That leads the other candidates by a staggering amount. 4 of those games they lost weren't even mostly his fault. He put his team in a position to win but his defense couldn't stop Matt Ryan on a final drive against the Falcons. It was the same with the Redskins game. NO quarterback should be expected to carry their team when their secondary is giving up Basketball-like numbers.

And like the old saying goes; It's not about how you start but how you finish. Rodgers put his team on his back and carried them when they for all intents and purposes, eliminated from the playoffs. He played better football than any quarterback in the league during the most important stretch of games for the season. I still think Matt Ryan deserves it more, make no mistake, but I don't think Rodgers winning it is crazy or that he deserves FAR less.
    You are conflating two different QB stats.

The poster you quoted wasn't talking about ESPN's QBR stat, which is garbage. They were talking about the standard QB rating stat which is a calculation based on attempts, completetions, passing yards, TD and INTs. A good QB season with Qb rating is in the 100's, the top you can get is 158.3.

Here is a calculator for it: http://www.primecomputing.com

No one but ESPN uses the QBR because as you correctly pointed out, it sucketh greatly. But everyone else uses QB rating as a way to "cliff notes" a QB season.

The only complaint I have with it, is that it should be used as a way to describe the passing game, not just the QB.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    QBR doesn't account for dropped passes and interceptions caused by receiver error, the metrics are off when using it to judge talent.

Every stat can be misleading or cherry-picked to fit an argument. Makes the whole thing kind of pointless, which is why most of the NFL awards are just a popularity contest. Only bright side is there is no pile of garbage called WAR in football yet (which is what ESPNs QBR kind of wanted to be).

Being clutch also isn't really a thing. There are just players that crumble when pressure is on them, and ones that don't. You can be anti-Blair Walsh, but being Mariano Rivera doesn't mean you are clutch for doing what you always do at the end of a game. Unless I missed something and that is just what clutch means now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Toni Boselli (looks like a Jaguars helmet in the pick and I guess a linebackers physique, maybe DE? )
    Left tackle, best in the NFL, but injuries shortened his career.

Boselli suffers from only playing 7 years, even though that isn't a short career and he was one of the best tackles in the league all 7 years (or 8 if you count his Texans expansion draft period. Terrell Davis played 7 and I wouldn't be surprised if he never gets in. Sterling Sharpe played 7, and he isn't getting in either. Yet Gale Sayers played 6, but got in 1st year of eligibility. Yay HoF voting committee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also rings means nothing to the Hall of Fame, just ask Plunkett and Flores (which is a travesty repeated every year when he gets snubbed)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    For reference comparing Ryan to Rodgers https://imgur.com/a/IsOD5
    Thats great and all, but it really doesn't take into account the other players on the team. Their defenses, kickers, run game, receiving core, injuries etc should all be taken into account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, since the regular season is over, let's all take a look at some of the worst calls made by refs, possibly ever, but all this year.

Odell Beckham is literally magic.
    Get down on my level.
    Shovel passes aren't forward passes anymore.
    HOW DARE YOU give the ball back to the ref!
    My favorite comment on this one was something how they thought the refs legitimately forgot which team was the offense and which was the defense.
    Duke Johnson holds up a large chunk of dinosaur poo, according to the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Thats great and all, but it really doesn't take into account the other players on the team. Their defenses, kickers, run game, receiving core, injuries etc should all be taken into account.
    What...does that have to do with MVP? I'd vote for David Johnson if I had a vote. The Cardinals blew this year. Hell, that statistic proves that Ryan was more consistent all year too.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, apparently Richard Sherman is now officially boycotting the media (like Marshawn Lynch before him) except Ed Werder, and it's all the media's fault for daring to question Sherman's open criticism of his own team.

What an utter cry baby.

So, apparently Richard Sherman is now officially boycotting the media (like Marshawn Lynch before him) except Ed Werder, and it's all the media's fault for daring to question Sherman's open criticism of his own team.

What an utter cry baby.
    Meh, more players that avoid talking to the media the better. Usually questions are leading players to responses they want to take out of context for headlines, and nothing to substance comes from it most of the time. It is pretty recent that it was even required. Denver's o-line used to not even do the introduction things on their 1st drive. I miss that, especially with the direction the media has gone.

This specific case is stupid, and he kind of asked for those type of questions to be asked by his other responses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Meh, more players that avoid talking to the media the better. Usually questions are leading players to responses they want to take out of context for headlines, and nothing to substance comes from it most of the time. It is pretty recent that it was even required. Denver's o-line used to not even do the introduction things on their 1st drive. I miss that, especially with the direction the media has gone.

This specific case is stupid, and he kind of asked for those type of questions to be asked by his other responses.
    Right. I have no love for the typical hot take artists that call themselves journalists either, but this particular case is not one of those. He questioned his own team, and got called out on it. That's just journalists doing what they should be doing.

I make it a point to only follow beat writers on twitter that stick to being actual journalists and actually show up for practices and games or at least make an honest attempt at providing quality content, like game break downs or stat overviews. That way I can freely click on anything I see on my timeline and get content I'm interested to see, instead of hot take du jour about how Gronk is overrated, cause we won every game since he was out. Screw those kinds of "journalists".

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Packers fan, Matt Ryan should be the MVP IMO. Rodgers and Brady a close tie for second, and then everyone else.

That said, I think all of the "usual" candidates that people have been saying are all pretty damn good and I don't think it would be an outrage for one guy to win it over the other. This is the first year in awhile that the MVP race is this close, as far as I can remember. Usually it is pretty clear-cut who it's going to be but this year is just something else in terms of QB play.

Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, since the regular season is over, let's all take a look at some of the worst calls made by refs, possibly ever, but all this year.
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf..._for_a_pe.html

I'd like to throw this call into the ring for some of the worst calls this year. Essentially, Graham Glasgow (rookie O Lineman for the Lions) had an illegal hands to the face penalty called on him for putting his hands in the defensive lineman of the Bears' face. The problem is that it actually was the other way around: The bears player had his hands in Glasgow facemask, but the ref threw the flag and called the penalty on the lions player. Didn't get overturned and apparently the ref just said "i got mixed up on which players were which, sorry".

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally want a Kicker to get MVP. I mean, did you see some of the endings to some of the games we had? If any season has shown how important teams need to invest in a good kicker, this is that season. Fucking teams end up getting ties in overtime because their shitty kickers, teams losing a game they easily should have had because they have a shitty kicker. Teams going 4th and down because they don't trust their kicker to get the field goal. I seriously think we need to talk about the role the kicker now has for their team, gone is the time where a team can just ignore this position.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account

What an utter cry baby.
    Maybe stop critiquing your teams playcalling and the media will stop critiquing you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapefruitsnz View Post
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf..._for_a_pe.html

I'd like to throw this call into the ring for some of the worst calls this year. Essentially, Graham Glasgow (rookie O Lineman for the Lions) had an illegal hands to the face penalty called on him for putting his hands in the defensive lineman of the Bears' face. The problem is that it actually was the other way around: The bears player had his hands in Glasgow facemask, but the ref threw the flag and called the penalty on the lions player. Didn't get overturned and apparently the ref just said "i got mixed up on which players were which, sorry".
    That one and the Ebron phantom offensive pass interference I wanted to add but couldn't find a video of.

A kicker won the MVP in 82, which was the strike shortened season. Not sure if it will ever happen under normal circumstances.

That one and the Ebron phantom offensive pass interference I wanted to add but couldn't find a video of.
    Stuff like that and the Glasgow one happen so often it doesn't even surprise me. The replacement refs at least had an excuse, the regular refs seem to screw up more than they did.
    Last edited by Grube; 2017-01-05 at 04:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Maybe stop critiquing your teams playcalling and the media will stop critiquing you.
    Well, they'll still do it, but then you have every reason to ignore it and call the media useless.

To be honest this whole thing probably blows over if the Seahawks don't make a deep run in the playoffs and he stops having to go in front of the media. If they make it to the Superbowl though, with a full week of media presence...that might get, errr, interesting.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayaq View Post
    Who do everyone think will win the awards?

my take:
    MVP: Derek Carr
    OPOY: Brady, Ryan, or David Johnson
    DPOY: Khalil Mack
    OROY: Ezekiel Elliot
    DPOY: Jalen Ramsey
    CBOY: Since I haven't paid attention to every player who missed significant time last year, I ill just go with Suggs
    Coach: Jack Del Rio
    My take on who should win...

MVP: Derek Carr (or either QB listed in the OPOY below)
    OPOY: Matt Ryan (overall) or Aaron Rodgers (The streak he is on is unbelievable)
    DPOY: Von Miller
    OROY: Ezekiel Elliot
    DROY: Jalen Ramsey
    CBPOY: Cameron Wake
    Coach: Adam Gase