Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gaming Monitor Choices 2017 ? Help!

Hey guys:

So I have been weighing my options with the monitor market since just after Christmas and am trying my best to be patient with so many new monitors coming out. I am currently running on an LG 4k Monitor, but I feel like i could get MUCH more performance out of my rig if i prioritize Refresh Rate and Response time over 4k. I've set my budget to about $700-800 and it seems that the best monitor for my price range would be the LG34UC79G-B. It's a large difference from my current LG monitor in res, response time, and refresh rate so I thought it might be a good buy. However, am I settling? Should I wait for the new ROG line to come out? Does anyone have any better suggestions for this price range? My build breakdown is below. Thanks for the help in advance.

Note: This is for strictly World of Warcraft & the occasional Overwatch gameplay. I know that the higher refresh rates/response time are for FPS games. However at Ultra settings (main goal for WoW gameplay) there are times where I feel the gameplay could be ALOT smoother and a faster/quality monitor I'm thinking might help. Am I being bottlenecked by 4k, low refresh rate/response time? Or is this just a waste of $$ for WoW gameplay?

Build:

CPU: Intel 4790 3.60 GHz
    GPU: Geforce GTX 980
    Memory: 16384MB RAM

Current Monitor: LG 27UD68
    Resolution: 3840 X 2160
    Response Time: 5MS
    Refresh Rate: 60Hz

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshock View Post
    Hey guys:

So I have been weighing my options with the monitor market since just after Christmas and am trying my best to be patient with so many new monitors coming out. I am currently running on an LG 4k Monitor, but I feel like i could get MUCH more performance out of my rig if i prioritize Refresh Rate and Response time over 4k. I've set my budget to about $700-800 and it seems that the best monitor for my price range would be the LG34UC79G-B. It's a large difference from my current LG monitor in res, response time, and refresh rate so I thought it might be a good buy. However, am I settling? Should I wait for the new ROG line to come out? Does anyone have any better suggestions for this price range? My build breakdown is below. Thanks for the help in advance.

Note: This is for strictly World of Warcraft & the occasional Overwatch gameplay. I know that the higher refresh rates/response time are for FPS games. However at Ultra settings (main goal for WoW gameplay) there are times where I feel the gameplay could be ALOT smoother and a faster/quality monitor I'm thinking might help. Am I being bottlenecked by 4k, low refresh rate/response time? Or is this just a waste of $$ for WoW gameplay?

Build:

CPU: Intel 4790 3.60 GHz
    GPU: Geforce GTX 980
    Memory: 16384MB RAM

Current Monitor: LG 27UD68
    Resolution: 3840 X 2160
    Response Time: 5MS
    Refresh Rate: 60Hz
    It's a waste of money for WoW. The higher refresh rate really only means something if you can produce that kind of FPS. Since certain situations in WoW will tank your FPS to barely 60 anyway, the higher refresh rate does nothing for you. The only thing you are being bottlenecked by in WoW is WoW. It just runs shitty in certain areas due to not properly utilizing the CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It's a waste of money for WoW. The higher refresh rate really only means something if you can produce that kind of FPS. Since certain situations in WoW will tank your FPS to barely 60 anyway, the higher refresh rate does nothing for you. The only thing you are being bottlenecked by in WoW is WoW. It just runs shitty in certain areas due to not properly utilizing the CPU.
    If I wanted to purchase an ultrawide/curved 34" regardless what do you suggest?

If I wanted to purchase an ultrawide/curved 34" regardless what do you suggest?
    Unless you sit with your eyes over 4 feet away from the monitor, I wouldn't recommend a monitor that large at all really. I guess at 4k, 2 feet is alright at that size, but I don't really recommend 4k for gaming yet either.

Unless you sit with your eyes over 4 feet away from the monitor, I wouldn't recommend a monitor that large at all really. I guess at 4k, 2 feet is alright at that size, but I don't really recommend 4k for gaming yet either.
    Idk for the two games he's playing I think the 34 inch monitor might not be a bad idea. I would love one but I can't afford the monitor and the gpu to go with it for what I do. 3440/1440 is pretty sweet, and the refresh rate increase will make things feel smoother in general.

1)4K for gaming is a waste of money, yes its pretty, be ready to throw money at a new GPU too and a new desk to sit further away.

2)All this bullshit about 60Hz and WoW and FPS is simply stupid info.

EVERYTHING LOOKS BETTER ON A HIGHER REFRESH RATE MONITOR, EVERY GAME.

You are better throwing your money at a decent 1440p 144hz IPS or VA monitor for gaming, no G-sync of Freesync crap, most come with those either way nowadays but are irrelevant.

I game daily on different monitors because home/net cafe nearby, the difference in WoW between 60Hz and 144Hz is massive, its there, smoother, cleaner, faster movement of anything, no fuzz, no blur, nothing.

The net cafe doesnt have any great screens too, just the entry-crap 27' 1080p 144Hz ASUS/AoC ones that cost 250$ and the quality of play from 60Hz screens to 144Hz is huge simply because , smoothness.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-01-05 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    1)4K for gaming is a waste of money, yes its pretty, be ready to throw money at a new GPU too and a new desk to sit further away.

You are better throwing your money at a decent 1440p 144hz IPS or VA monitor for gaming, no G-sync of Freesync crap, most come with those either way nowadays but are irrelevant.

I game daily on different monitors because home/net cafe nearby, the difference in WoW between 60Hz and 144Hz is massive, its there, smoother, cleaner, faster movement of anything, no fuzz, no blur, nothing.

The net cafe doesnt have any great screens too, just the entry-crap 27' 1080p 144Hz ASUS/AoC ones that cost 250$ and the quality of play from 60Hz screens to 144Hz is huge simply because , smoothness.
    So would you reccommend that LG Ultrawide I mentioned?

LG 34UC79G-B

So would you reccommend that LG Ultrawide I mentioned?

LG 34UC79G-B
    Its a great monitor but also you might need a new GPU cause of that sooner than you were planning cause of that although for WoW should be fine for now and to sit further away cause of the screen size, if you are fine with that, go ahead.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-01-05 at 07:49 PM.

I've heard this time and time again but have yet to see any real evidence. If you are only getting 60 FPS, then the screen is updating 60 times a second. Period. It does not matter if the monitor is 144hz or not, the screen is still only updating as often as it is receiving a frame. Perhaps there is something else about those 144hz monitors that makes them look smoother, like response times. There are not many 144hz panels with 2-5ms response times. Most are 1ms. There are a plethora of 60 hz monitors with 5ms and up response times though.

I've heard this time and time again but have yet to see any real evidence. If you are only getting 60 FPS, then the screen is updating 60 times a second. Period. It does not matter if the monitor is 144hz or not, the screen is still only updating as often as it is receiving a frame. Perhaps there is something else about those 144hz monitors that makes them look smoother, like response times. There are not many 144hz panels with 2-5ms response times. Most are 1ms. There are a plethora of 60 hz monitors with 5ms and up response times though.
    No one said anything about only getting 60 FPS so i am not sure what you are trying to say.

Either way, its a personal opinion, i play 3 different games, on different screens daily/every other day cause i tend to hang out at the net cafe as a pass time when i am bored so i can lan with friends, mostly for Dota 2.

I play on 2 different 144Hz screens and my own crappy LG 60Hz average shit monitor.

The difference on every game is massive, whether its WoW, Path of Exile, Dota 2 for myself, and whether its CS:GO DayZ and every other game played around me by kids/people i know.

Hz isnt only the reason, but its a plethora of things that come with those screens, i am just going against the "WoW" doesnt need anything than a "60hz monitor" cause from personal experience the smoothness/clarity is massively different.

The Hz mostly show when the screen is moving fast, as example since i am a warrior Charge/Leap, where i move fast and my home screen is like a crap quality image, while the 144Hz ones i can see everything clearly, cause it is refreshing faster while i am doing stuff, its much prettier/smoother/clearer for the eyes.

The difference even in WoW is there clear as day for anyone that cares to look for it.

No one said anything about only getting 60 FPS so i am not sure what you are trying to say.

Either way, its a personal opinion, i play 3 different games, on different screens daily/every other day cause i tend to hang out at the net cafe as a pass time when i am bored so i can lan with friends, mostly for Dota 2.

I play on 2 different 144Hz screens and my own crappy LG 60Hz average shit monitor.

The difference on every game is massive, whether its WoW, Path of Exile, Dota 2 for myself, and whether its CS:GO DayZ and every other game played around me by kids/people i know.

Hz isnt only the reason, but its a plethora of things that come with those screens, i am just going against the "WoW" doesnt need anything than a "60hz monitor" cause from personal experience the smoothness/clarity is massively different.

The Hz mostly show when the screen is moving fast, as example since i am a warrior Charge/Leap, where i move fast and my home screen is like a crap quality image, while the 144Hz ones i can see everything clearly, cause it is refreshing faster while i am doing stuff, its much prettier/smoother/clearer for the eyes.

The difference even in WoW is there clear as day for anyone that cares to look for it.
    But that's not the refresh rate doing that at all. Let's use 120hz monitor for simplicity's sake. If you are getting 60FPS, then yes, the screen is refreshing twice between every frame(it's like 2.4 for 144hz), but that in between refresh, nothing changes. There are no changes to make as the GPU has not yet provided a new frame, so that refresh does absolutely nothing. That same frame sits on the screen for another cycle because there is nothing to replace it with. So all other monitor stats being equal, there will be no difference between a 144hz and a 60hz.

That said, 144hz monitors typically have many improvements in other areas. It's a more expensive monitor already, so they include other improvements as well. You can get those same improvements on a higher quality 60hz screen though. Unless I am vastly mistaken about something of course, which is entirely possible.

You dont need to hit high FPS to notice the smoothness that 120/144hz monitors provide, anything around 80-90 and you start noticing which is easily achievable most tims in WoW. I think you should give a 144hz monitor a try, you may find yourself playing overwatch more than occasionally

Best priced 144hz panel atm:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FZJk...tor-umfx0aa001

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    You dont need to hit high FPS to notice the smoothness that 120/144hz monitors provide, anything around 80-90 and you start noticing which is easily achievable most tims in WoW. I think you should give a 144hz monitor a try, you may find yourself playing overwatch more than occasionally

Best priced 144hz panel atm:

Thanks for the recommendation. Im kind of flip flopping back and forth regarding Ultrawide/Curved or a regular 144hz panel. What do you think of that LG i mentioned above?

- - - Updated - - -

But that's not the refresh rate doing that at all. Let's use 120hz monitor for simplicity's sake. If you are getting 60FPS, then yes, the screen is refreshing twice between every frame(it's like 2.4 for 144hz), but that in between refresh, nothing changes. There are no changes to make as the GPU has not yet provided a new frame, so that refresh does absolutely nothing. That same frame sits on the screen for another cycle because there is nothing to replace it with. So all other monitor stats being equal, there will be no difference between a 144hz and a 60hz.

That said, 144hz monitors typically have many improvements in other areas. It's a more expensive monitor already, so they include other improvements as well. You can get those same improvements on a higher quality 60hz screen though. Unless I am vastly mistaken about something of course, which is entirely possible.
    With that being said and the improvements you mentioned..do you still think it might not be worth the money?

Thanks for the recommendation. Im kind of flip flopping back and forth regarding Ultrawide/Curved or a regular 144hz panel. What do you think of that LG i mentioned above?

- - - Updated - - -

With that being said and the improvements you mentioned..do you still think it might not be worth the money?
    I know i personally wouldn't like an ultrawide it would be an odd experience to me and would take a lot of getting used to. Curved is whatever, no real benefits but if it doesnt annoy you they are fine. With a 980 i would stick to 1080p/144hz, you will have a better experience with a wider variety of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I know i personally wouldn't like an ultrawide it would be an odd experience to me and would take a lot of getting used to. Curved is whatever, no real benefits but if it doesnt annoy you they are fine. With a 980 i would stick to 1080p/144hz, you will have a better experience with a wider variety of games.

Hmm ok. I believe this one is 1080P so it would be a fit. Still considering what you are saying about Ultrawide/Curved.

Deleted
    I have an acer 271hu running at 165hz and even for wow its pretty amazing. Its not cheap, but id highly recommend it. Just make sure you get a good one as qc is reportedly rather variable.

Overclocked QNIX QX2710, oldied but goldie.

$200 dolla, can easily do 100hz. I keep mine at 96hz so its a multiple of 24 cuzz im ocd like that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I have an acer 271hu running at 165hz and even for wow its pretty amazing. Its not cheap, but id highly recommend it. Just make sure you get a good one as qc is reportedly rather variable.
    Hmmm, that is a pretty nice monitor. I've recently been shopping for a replacement for a Acer H233H but haven't been able to find anything in the 24"-27" range that has the resolution, refresh rate, and pixel pitch I want. The main issue being finding a 144hz with a pixel pitch of <.276ish in a 24" or 27" that was below $500. I might just say fuck it and splurge on what you have.

Amazon : Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27-inch WQHD (2560 x 1440) NVIDIA G-Sync Widescreen Display

Just got the Dell 34" ultra wide 1440p and it's the most glorious thing other than golden retrievers

Any opinions on Acer Z301C or Acer Z271? Has pretty much all i asked for and a lot more affordable than its larger models.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by foxes View Post
    Just got the Dell 34" ultra wide 1440p and it's the most glorious thing other than golden retrievers
    Only thing missing from that monitor for me is GSync man. Or I would've purchased that monitor immediately.