Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

How does one climb any corporate/work ladder?

I see alot of young CEO's, directors and so on. And ive probably been playing too much WoW to actually have enough real life experience

Im really interested in how one actually climbs corporate ladder and so on. I mean, obviously you can be an inovating entrepreneur, but what about the standard plain boring way.

Say, if i join as as worker in a supermarket, how do i become a CEO lol.

Also, alot of people mention that i need a diploma for all the jobs, to which i disagree, by saying knowledge, not paper, is important. Am i being fooled, and they just dont want me to join their company, implying i have all the knowledge needed?

Are these things purelly social?

Thanks.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    With what little experience I have so far, the majority of it is being social.

But i'm eager to hear from @Yvaelle and @Supertony.

Rule of acquisition number 211: Employees are the rungs on the ladder of success. Don't hesitate to step on them.

This also applies to co workers.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

It takes time, when you turn 30 and 40 they start considering you for promotion. Also you can go to the right school, Harvard for example and get an early start, right out of school they may make you a junior executive.

You drink at the right bars, know the right jokes, like anything there is a lot of politics.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Suck up to the management.

OR

2. High level of Education such as MBA.

Uhh you can start a business right now and be a CEO. CEO doesn't really mean anything.

If you're referring to the general state of large multi-million dollar companies out there with young CEOs, it mostly has to do with the fact that we had so much new technology emerge over the last decades and really it was the younger generation that saw the potential there and were able to exploit it.

10+ Year Old Account
    diploma is mandatory to start high enough, then you have 2 choices, either you're good enough to create something successful on your own, or you get into a big company or a company that is gaining wealth at a fast rate, and you provide meaningful work there, and with CHANCE you get higher. also with time, dozens of years. there is positions that won't make you go anywhere such as worker in a supermarket.

you won't get any "ceo" position unless you create something worth a LOT of money or you're part of the family, but if you're in a big company and do good work you'll get rewarded, but all that is about giving your life for money.

ie it's not worth it most of the time, your life is more precious than that. so in my opinion do something meaningful for you and for the world, not something meaningful for your boss/company, because most likely this is pointless work and when it'll be too late you'll ask yourself important questions and you'll regret all of it

but anyway you seems rather lost, ask yourself what do you want. money ? (money is not that important don't forget that) you want to create something ? you want to enjoy your life ? set a goal and go toward it, if you "want to be a ceo" that doesn't mean a damn thing, ok you're a ceo now what, what's the point ?
    Last edited by Cæli; 2017-01-07 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Indeed. I suppose if one wants to live by the Rules of Acquisition as we know them, one might be able to go from bagger to CEO.
    They work pretty well for the Ferengi. Except for Quark. He doesn't seem to do as well as he should be doing.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meheez
    to which i disagree, by saying knowledge, not paper, is important.
    Are you hiring you? No? Then your disbelief doesn't mean much. There are exceptions and niche markets, but you haven't spelled out anything that places you in one of those. You've asked a general question, and as a general answer you need a competitive level of paper -- certificates or diplomas -- to get your foot in the door in place of one of the dozens of other people in line that 1) also have talent, and 2) have those papers.

You get in and do a job. You do it well. You build connections. In the current job market, you probably have to take advantage of opportunities to transfer to work your way up the ranks of pay and prestige. In some markets that may mean switching back and forth between public and private sector work, but at some point you'll probably be *better* (note -- better does not make it the only path, just the better one) making shifts to work around people who have their position locked down and who form a roadblock for your own career.

Those are general basics, but then you haven't said what you're actually considering as a career.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

First of all, understand that you do not control your promotions. It is RNG. It depends upon if any spots are open, who the candidates are, what the hiring manager wants, etc. The odds will never favor you.

To up your odds, you can: Acquire a degree in the field, be liked by your bosses, work hard, etc.

But again, its RNG.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Connections. Relatives, drinkingbuddys, kissing ass. Welcome to the workforce.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    First of all, understand that you do not control your promotions. It is RNG. It depends upon if any spots are open, who the candidates are, what the hiring manager wants, etc. The odds will never favor you.

To up your odds, you can: Acquire a degree in the field, be liked by your bosses, work hard, etc.

But again, its RNG.
    god dammit. Dem RNG

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    They work pretty well for the Ferengi. Except for Quark. He doesn't seem to do as well as he should be doing.
    He's a strange Quark when he probably should have been a charm Quark.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    That's a combination of Odo being really good at his job and Quark being infected with a terminal case of a conscience from hanging around humans for too long.
    Indeed. Odo is kind of a dick.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Depending on environment, ass-kissing and brown-nosing may be required.

However, a CEO level of position mandates an MBA.

You probably need a business degree to have hopes of climbing. Obviously you need to make yourself stand out amongst your peers. I doubled my salary at a large bank, starting as customer service (taking 80-100 calls per day). Started at $12/hr and ended up making 52k plus bonus about 3.5 years later. Knowing people helps. Showing ambition helps. Taking on more responsibilities and showing you're capable of more helps. I had a psychology degree but was going to school online at the same time. Learn everything you can about the organization, what it stands for, where it's going, and how you can improve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    First things first.

"Climbing the corporate ladder" is a problem, and something people shouldn't be trying to do.

Lets say you have a worker. He's decent. After some years of training, he becomes great at what he does.

Then you promote him to manager. You now have no more good worker, and an awful manager. Managing and moving up the chain is a huge problem, especially in western culture.

If you want to be a CEO, you get education and training for management positions. Starting from the bottom is, especially with the way businesses are starting to wisen up, the worst way to go about it. You start at an administrative level, with administrative training and education. Not just 'be in the company a long time', because chances are, it won't happen. Or if it does, you wasted a few decades and the company is falling apart anyway.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    This would require luck and a series of events that at best would be extraordinary.

The problem is as a 'worker' in a supermarket you are likely an unskilled &/or uneducated laborer. That is to say a bagger<--> stock person -> cashier <--> service clerk -> shift supervisor -> shift manager -> general manager. This is not corporate and your skill set and knowledge is on the business needs for running a supermarket day-to-day operations, at best.

At no point in the chain of progression would you necessarily know, have expertise, be in a advisory position or have social connections benefiting marketing, franchising, accounting, legal expertise, stock management, technology management, logistics, et cetera. All of those are corporate aspects.

So it's extremely unlikely that an uneducated and unskilled laborer would go from bagging groceries to being a Chief-Executive-Officer of a multi-million dollar supermarket corporation.

You could start your own little business. Which you kinda would be a CEO of, but mostly likely you'd just be the business owner. As CEO is something different altogether; an owner is not necessarily a CEO and a CEO is not necessarily an owner of a business.

Now if you are asking how do people climb the CORPORATE LADDER, which is different from starting off as a laborer in a run-of-the-mill supermarket, then that begins FIRMLY with education.

Education allows one to have a set of knowledge and most importantly the know-how to achieve business needs and requirements without your employer having to teach you how to do so. If you are a software developer, for example, the expectation is that you know how programming and code works before I hire you; such that all I have to is explain our needs and requirements as a business in relation to your know-how. After which you will be able to deliver what we need without someone sitting down and teaching you how to program on day 1.

In the supermarket example, having something like an MBA would be a logical first step if I were looking to hire a facility or regional director. If you had no schooling or previous experience in this role- how would you know what to do in regards to your position as our needs dictate?

So first you have to get educated. This usually requires some degree of expertise or specialization in schooling- accounting, legal, business manager, etc. When hired it then comes down to two factors;

1. Results. One needs to show their immediate boss (essentially) the methods and processes they use increase the quality, efficacy &/or profitability of the department, group or regional territory. In business, continual growth and expansion is the goal.

2. Social networking. One has to be reasonably competent at the job, but also has to be able to work with others and find how to apply whatever they do to other departments/applications. This is the practical 'flexibility' a lot of books are talking about- you need social fluidity, so that when an opportunity opens up the ones deciding on who to place there think of placing you.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2017-01-07 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    I see alot of young CEO's, directors and so on. And ive probably been playing too much WoW to actually have enough real life experience

Im really interested in how one actually climbs corporate ladder and so on. I mean, obviously you can be an inovating entrepreneur, but what about the standard plain boring way.

Also, alot of people mention that i need a diploma for all the jobs, to which i disagree, by saying knowledge, not paper, is important. Am i being fooled, and they just dont want me to join their company, implying i have all the knowledge needed?

Are these things purelly social?

Thanks.
    nepotism and networking - dont belive even for 1 second that is due to hard work and skills - that will get you only to lower managment positions - anything from senior managers and stuff is mainly due to nepotism and favourism of friends of friends . anyone telling you different is making fool of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    You probably need a business degree to have hopes of climbing. Obviously you need to make yourself stand out amongst your peers. I doubled my salary at a large bank, starting as customer service (taking 80-100 calls per day). Started at $12/hr and ended up making 52k plus bonus about 3.5 years later. Knowing people helps. Showing ambition helps. Taking on more responsibilities and showing you're capable of more helps. I had a psychology degree but was going to school online at the same time. Learn everything you can about the organization, what it stands for, where it's going, and how you can improve it.
    I work as a material lead at a factory. Showing you're capable of doing more means your job is now harder and you are expected to do it all the time. They LOVE to understaff.
    Last edited by Zafire; 2017-01-07 at 06:24 PM.