Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    To be honest, simple rolls, especially veggie ones, can be very easily done at home. A few tries to pack the rice correctly and you could make part of your diet 'Sushi' based. I did that while I was studying in japan, living off of home-made sushi rice and curry.

Then go blow all the money you saved on some real treats >>
    If you're not too critical of the quality of your rice it isn't too hard if you get a bamboo mat to make proper rolls, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    I believe you could get 4 "meals" for 50 bucks. I just don't believe all of them would be "good".
    Fuddruckers sells some of the best burgers for ~$10. Meals don't have to be $20+ to be "good" but it's all personal taste in the end.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

thank god there are still people who like to spend money on good food and realize when something is worth it.

Deleted
    Please then...post your evidence. Or are you just gonna come back at me with more empty words?
    Don't bother mate, you can't win at his shitposting game.

It takes a lot of expertise to make restaurant quality sushi. Atleast 7 years, and that's adding to basic chef education. Also, the wares have to be super fresh, which makes them expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    You can just buy a god damn sushi mat and do it yourself lol. I had a coworker stunned at how often i had sushi for launch at work. How expansive that must have been!! Wait whats that a roll of sushi is 5 cent of rice over a 5 cent sheet of nuri. 30 cent of avocado and another 5 cent of cucumber. About 1 bucks of salmon you can fit in the roll. Wow! Its expansive when people are lazy.
    I hope you're not seriously just using raw salmon from a supermarket. It has to be sushi grade or don't even think of attempting it. Second, nori is not 5 cents a sheet. Its closer to the $.40-$.50 range. So no, lazy has nothing to do with it. Its hardly lazy to make sushi from home. Its a lot of prep and time to create the few rolls you can.

@0p: Of course that ones $14. It has Eel. A really expensive and hard to get fish. Combine that with shrimp and its no wonder why its not that cheap. People pay a lot for quality sushi because it takes a lot of work and effort to make quality sushi. Quality sushi is fresh and delicious. Not to mention the special preparation that is put into making sushi grade fish safe for consumption raw. Then you have to take into account the fact they probably have to import everything and it adds up really quick. Anyone who thinks its expensive because people are too lazy or dumb to make it at home has never looked into the actual process and ingredients that goes into making sushi.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    If you're not too critical of the quality of your rice it isn't too hard if you get a bamboo mat to make proper rolls, indeed.
    It is somewhat easy to get the rice adequate, yeah. Not great, but still perfectly fine. Then again, I learned it from Japanese so maybe it just seemed easier >>

Prices look a bit higher than normal, but not by much. Typically green dragon would be something like 10, rainbow at 12 sounds about right and I dont often see anything higher than 14 at worst.

Also there are some places which give you a lot more value than average but you have to go there to find out whether or not the sushi is of decent quality. I'd try looking at other places near you and see if any of them do all you can eat (made to order, not stuff they have out like in a buffet), there's one in Oceanside NY named Yings which has amazing sushi and does all you can eat (incredible menu too); but on the other hand by me there's a place that does it but the sushi is just kind of... Bad.

In addition you can try doing ala carte and getting sushi/sashimi instead of makizushi or even focus on the sushi appetizers which are usually pretty substantive for their price (like 10 dollar avocado sashimi which is usually sake, hamachi, maguro piled high on half an avocado with sauce).

I hope you're not seriously just using raw salmon from a supermarket. It has to be sushi grade or don't even think of attempting it. Second, nori is not 5 cents a sheet. Its closer to the $.40-$.50 range. So no, lazy has nothing to do with it. Its hardly lazy to make sushi from home. Its a lot of prep and time to create the few rolls you can.
    Thats consumer retail, bulk nori is nowhere near that expensive. Right Now: Im looking at a bulk supplier who sells cases of 24 packs (10 sheets each) for 59 USD a case. And thats for Grade A USDA organic, ect.
    Last edited by Xenryusho; 2017-01-08 at 12:21 AM.

Again. Do it yourself:
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    Prices look a bit higher than normal, but not by much.
    Keep in mind those are Canadian prices. That might make up for the price difference.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Keep in mind those are Canadian prices. That might make up for the price difference.
    Didn't consider that, ty.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    No. Stuff takes skill. People pay like a 100 bucks for a few dribbles haute cuisine at a French place. "Ethnic" food is underpriced in the West imho.
    As a Chef, I can tell you that you are so wrong it hurts. Sushi is a snack food in Japan and is a fraction of the price in a Japanese Market than it is in a Western Market like America or Australia. Proper Japanese delicacies you pay just as much as you would for a "Haute french" meal.

Currently in my City, a Half roll of Basic Sushi (Chicken/Beef) costs about $2 which is comparable to Western Snack food like a Burger.

Making Sushi from scratch when I was a Chef showed me just how cheap and easy the process is even when using high grade ingredients like Salmon or Unagi.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Casyi View Post
    You pay for not only the presentation but also the craft behind it. It's pretty hard to make sushi. Have you tried it before? Takes me like hours to make some.
    Lolwut, The amount of Sushi I can churn out in an Hour, even if only using a Bamboo Mat is pretty much on par with Western food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    ...and now I'm hungry. Thanks!

Those prices look pretty standard to me. I don't consider them high.
    It wouldnt be too much if people normally ordered just one piece but you have to order 4 or 5 to make a meal and that's way too much when you can go to Cheesecake Factory and get a giant bowl of Spaghetti for like $12

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Sure but is gluttony really a good solution. I have my doubts.
    its only gluttony if you eat more than you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    $50 too much for a nice Sushi dinner coming from the guy that asked seriously if spending $1000 on a piece of clothing is ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    $50 too much for a nice Sushi dinner coming from the guy that asked seriously if spending $1000 on a piece of clothing is ok.
    To be fair comparing prices of Consumable vs Clothing is kind of silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    No. Stuff takes skill. People pay like a 100 bucks for a few dribbles haute cuisine at a French place. "Ethnic" food is underpriced in the West imho.
    Only a total idiot would pay $100 for a meal

Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    Thats consumer retail, bulk nori is nowhere near that expensive. Right Now: Im looking at a bulk supplier who sells cases of 24 packs (10 sheets each) for 59 USD a case. And that's for Grade A USDA organic, ect.
    No ones going to buy bulk other then restaurants. At home, I'll buy 1 pack of grade a sheets vs 24 packs in bulk. Even with your prices, that is still $.25 per sheet of nori. Not the magic $.05 that the person I quoted claimed. But again though, most people at home aren't going to drop $59 vs $3-$4 on one pack.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In my amazing city we have so many different food options. So yes you absolutely can
    So you can indulge when you want. I can go get a $100 steak in my city. Or I can get a bowl of pho that has plenty of meat and feeds me for two days for $7.

In short, you aren't JUST paying for the food when you go out. And then...

Japanese folk aren't nomming on sushi all day. Let's talk about the broth and noodle portion of a similar Japanese menu, please.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2017-01-08 at 12:36 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Again. Do it yourself
    Other then the fact you want your hands Wet and not damp, that video doesn't show how to actually make or prepare the rice or fish.