Page 2 of 206 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Nothing at all other than it being new to most people.
    Playing it and NOT being new to the game, I can say it doesn't have a sliver of the rose shimmer people ascribe to it.

It is thought people don't miss classic wow. They miss the old good times from 10+ years ago, not classic wow itself. Is it true?

I feel like a rarity when I find a harder level grind better. Take that with a grain of salt because it was also much more annoying to level.

Put on them rose tinted glasses bois, the game was much more fresh in vanilla so people were less tired of it. I actually enjoy how the game is now much more than I did in vanilla.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I'm doing some research and I'd like to hear your opinions guys and gals
    Vanilla wasnt/isnt better than Legion.

Is this the same kind of a research like what I did on Kate Upton yesterday night?
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a completely new thing for many people. Otherwise, spec balance was craptastic (whole specs were unusable), rotations were next to inexistent and itemization was a mess.
    But the feeling of a completely new world beat all that. The first time you saw Thunder Bluff as a tauren or Stormwind as a human cannot be matched by anything else later on.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    Vanilla WoW was a good game for the year it released. If it was released today as a $15 a month MMO, it would not be received well. It was also the first MMO for many people. That holds a lot of weight. My first MMO was FFXI. I played that since beta and loved it too. That doesn't mean I'd be playing it still today if it was released at $12 a month.
    Actually, of course it would! 14 years after WC3, Blizzard releases another game, placed in the world so many people loved? To "finally" witness what happened to Arthas, Illidan, whole Azeroth and Outland? Millions would jump to try it out, probably even more than originally did in 2006, as Internet would hype it out to levels unheard of, even more so than Diablo 3. Also, it would be first MMO for all those people to play, as without WoW being released in 2006 the West wouldn't even develop the MMO genre like it did, and all those MMOs that followed the footsteps of WoW wouldn't exist. Now, after all those people would try it... I guess they could whine about graphics as it would be really outdated today (but hey, if they released vanilla today, it would be with today's graphics....)... but in other cases they would "have fun exploring" and the same sense of adventure people did those 11 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    Nostalgia.

Really, that's most of it. We remember what we love fondly and forget its faults. Vanilla WoW was a good game for the year it released. If it was released today as a $15 a month MMO, it would not be received well. It was also the first MMO for many people. That holds a lot of weight. My first MMO was FFXI. I played that since beta and loved it too. That doesn't mean I'd be playing it still today if it was released at $12 a month.

Even though I've stopped playing WoW, I can admit WoW today is better than when it first came out. I don't know if its the best its ever been, but I do know it has improved a lot since it first came out. Its still the number 1 subscription MMO out there, even if its dropped to 4 or 5 million subs. That's impressive. I give the developers a lot of credit for what they've created. I think I just outgrew it. I'll still probably come back from time to time (probably each new expansion release) and I'll follow the news. I just think WoW has come a long way and prefer the way it is today to the old grind in Silithis because your ran out of quests days.
    Ah those FF11 memories. I was the most arrogant Red Mage ever thinking I could solo everything just because I was OP

The grass was greener
    The light was brighter
    And I was younger
    However, on 27 May 1840, Paganini died from internal hemorrhaging before a priest could be summoned.

Deleted
    Let's explain why those 2 quotes are wrong

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    The list is huge..

-No player-controlled Flying Mounts (this made and kept the world feeling absolutely massive (great for an explorer/adventurer PoV), world pvp was nurtured because of this because you couldn't just up and fly away from battles; you had to fight. Also content lasted longer because of having to actually travel everywhere like a traditional RPG)

-Singular difficulty (made the raiding scene more prestigious and way less watered down/convoluted -- took less resources to balance one difficulty comparatively to today)

-Linear Raiding (made raiding meaningful because you had to be successful in one raid in order to move on to the next. made content last longer and made the cream rise to the top)

-Attunements (rite of passage for players coming into the raiding scene, separated good from bad, and made everything more meaningful)

-RPG aspects (too many to list, but created a game with much more depth, nuance, realism, and made everything more meaningful)

-No anonymity (No realm change, no faction change, no race change, no name change) - created a continuity of community, and meant there'd be social consequences for breaking rules because you couldn't just run to a new server with a new identity. many trolls (etc.) had to completely start over which meant massive time sink and re-investment

Non-connected Realms (Each realm was its own community. You were known for your skill, professions, gear, pvp prowess, personality, etc. and realms were able to self-police trolls and the pariahs. the level of trolling that goes on today wouldn't have flown back then)

Talent Trees and non-Pruned skill sets (much more diverse and varying playerbase, actual meaningful decisions with consequences, and larger skill sets seriously separated great players from basic ones)

I could go on and on
    -Attumments - Didn't separate good from bad, this is pure bullshit, was just a pre-pre-pre-pre-quest nothing "hard" just "time effort"

-RPG Aspects - List plz

-CRZ - This is pretty subjective

-Talent Tree / Pruned SKill - Talent Tress WERE MERELY "FAKE" FREEDOM CHOICE you always would have done the ez-cookie cutter build from EJ /// If skills are pruned in legion, why in vanilla and tbc rotation were still 2-3 button based?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Pros
    -The entire world was filled with people doing stuff
    -Aggro management
    -Mana Management
    -No LFR, LFD made server communities
    -Epics were in fact epic and VERY hard to get
    -Gurubashi Arena and Dire Maul arena full of people
    -Eating, drinking and first aid were mandatory while leveling for the majority of classes #hard leveling experience
    -Class diversity
    -A lot of flavour stuff for the sake of roleplay value. Nowadays everything is the same for the sake of "game balance"

Cons
    -Game Balance
    1. Like now people arent doing stuff
    2. Well this is a fair point
    3. This too
    4. Subjective - I prefer LFD than old vanilla LFD AKA spamming at IF/SW/OGRI and hope for nobody leave while omw to the dungeon on the other side of azeroth TDA : 3 hours
    5. Subjective
    6. Win-Trading at its finest
    7. Skilled First-Aid only to vendor sell runecloth bandages...
    8. Don't see the problem ATM
    9. Subjective stuff

Basically Vanilla wasn't better than Legion, it's just nostalgia + different game

The leveling experience played a MUCH larger role, and hitting level 60 even felt satisfying. Dungeons were harder (not counting timers as difficulty) and sometimes a bit of a pain to navigate. And the community was a lot closer, where you were able to build your own reputation on your server. If you were a really good tank, you had a good chance to get invited for about any group.

Legion also does a lot of things better, so its not really a case of a game being ''better'', it all depends on your own preferences. Vanilla feels more like a traditional MMORPG while Legion is more arcady/action packed.

10+ Year Old Account
    what made classic good:

there was a huge emphasis on working together for a common goal, there was not only guild identity, but server identity also, you had pride in both and wanted both to do well even if your guild wasn't the best on the server you still rooted for that guild that was so that your server would be recognised.

the gearing path was straightforward, you levelled up and used quest reward items and crafted items, you hit max level then used full crafted items in order to get into dungeon groups to kill dungeon bosses, you then replaced some crafted gear with dungeon drops, and the old dungeon "set" gear, then you move onto "basic" raiding, which back then was old scholomance/stratholme/UBRS/ZG, get upgrades there then move into the big leagues of 40 man raiding, with some crafted gear in very specific slots like for example the crafted onyxia cloak to protect against shadowflame from nefarian in BWL or the AQ "crafted" gear from the quest rewards both the AQ 20 set and AQ 40 weapons etc etc.

slightly attached to gearing, guilds had dedicated crafters, you didn't have multiple people in the guild with maxed skills and all the same recipes, you funelled all your mats and recipes that dropped into 1 crafter of that type and everyone in the guild knew who they needed to go to for the various armour types or for potions/elixers etc (i was the guild alchemist back then), professions were horrible back then, but the way guilds did things made them bearable.

there was a whole "new" factor attached to it, nothing had ever looked like it, or played like it, so it was unique and is why it has had such a long life at this point relative to other similar games that have released trying to be the "wow killer" and failing epically, you also had the nostalgia train from the older WC RTS games so that helped a lot.

the overall general feeling of accomplishment was there, today you don't really get the same satisfaction anymore, at least i can personally say i don't, mayb e because i have been around so long and seen it all that i just look at it and go "oh look just a repackaged version of 'X' again".

that's many of the pluses from my point of view, there's a lot of negatives to list but i'll leave that for another time since that wasn't the question asked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    The leveling experience played a MUCH larger role, and hitting level 60 even felt satisfying. Dungeons were harder (not counting timers as difficulty) and sometimes a bit of a pain to navigate. And the community was a lot closer, where you were able to build your own reputation on your server. If you were a really good tank, you had a good chance to get invited for about any group.
    This shit is still in the game, im quite sure you know which guild are good on your server, who is the best pala/hunter/etc, which "team" boost myth+ or are the realm first +15

you still have the community, but is more guild-side

7+ Year Old Account
    Classic wow= MMORPG frustrating, grindy, takes SO MUCH GOD DANM TIME, but feels extreamly rewarding

current wow=action MMORPG, everything is faster, much more freindly, and action packed, you are firing off 1-2 second chaos bolts now every so often, instead of firing off 3-4 second shadowbolts al lthe time... but the game feels alot less rewarding as everything is much more paced

in vanilla you when down steps, large gaps between content, if you beat something it was alot harder then the stuff before it and you really overcame it

now adays its going down a slide, its all the same on the way down, there isnt these massive gaps in dificulty, if you cant beat something and get stuck, there is something else you can do that will make doing that other thing easier in abit of time
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I feel vanilla was one of those 'so bad it's good' type things. Compared to now literally ever part of vanilla was a huge pain in the ass that required both skill and knowledge to succeed in. Quality of life hardly existed so everything you had or did was hard earned and deserved. I found this also drove away a lot of potential players who were not committed fully to WoW which was good.

Also servers. On small servers in particular you really felt that sense of community. You knew the other people around you and took things like reputation into account when forming guilds, groups or teams. If you had a reputation as an asshole or bad player people would exclude you. If you were seen as a good player/person people would include you.

TL;DR - I personally believe playerbase was better in vanilla because game was bad/difficult and this is the only winning point.

This is a question about personal preference so everyone will have a different awnser.

Hell for me tbc was the best it simply comes down to what content you like and what game systems you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    This is a question about personal preference so everyone will have a different awnser.

Hell for me tbc was the best it simply comes down to what content you like and what ga e syste s you prefer.
    Exactly. Classic might not be everyone's favourite. Mine personally is MoP then Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    The one and only thing vanilla has over current is how interwoven the community was.

No name changes and no server transfers.
    You mean that service that came in mid 2006? Before that existed they offered free transfers off of populated realms. All of this happened in...guess when...that's right, Vanilla.

So, right now I decide I want the momento trinket from maw of souls. To obtain this trinket, I need to do mythic+ around lvl 9 ish to get it to at least drop with a decent base Ilvl. How do I go about 'farming' this trinket? The following: I need a group of people well enough geared / competent enough to clear the dungeon, seems simple enough right? Well heres where retail wow starts to become worse then classic... The maybes. MAYBE I find some one with the key. MAYBE the chest has loot. MAYBE that loot is from the boss I wanted. MAYBE that loot happens to be the trinket I want. MAYBE it upgrades to being useful.

Now to compare that to classic wow, farming princess in marudon for the pre raid BIS melee ring.... I can personally farm for the staff to do princess runs, no "Maybe" I get the key. I put together a group and this dungeon is not lvl 60 exclusive, so the pool of people I can choose from is larger AND I can help lower levels get quests done which in turn is more likely for them to be willing to let me reserve the ring.... Now the maybes for this run? MAYBE the ring drops.... If it doesnt I can just run it again.

This is one of the problems, live almost never feels rewarding, and when you are rewarded, say a legendary from your emissary cache..... You didn't do any thing for it, it feels so hollow and boring, I have 7 legendaries on my account, never once felt any sort of enthusiasm for the system and im speaking as some one with BOTH BIS LEGENDARIES FOR MY CLASS / MAIN SPEC.

Another great example is that CRZ isn't a thing... So as you compete with alliance / group with horde, these people are people you will see on, ALL THE TIME. You run into them constantly just like bumping into a friend at the supermarket, maybe you stop and chat, maybe you join them or visa versa, that sense of community was always fantastic.

Leveling / Difficulty.... Most people talk about how frustrating / challenging leveling can be in vanilla.. This is largely because you arnt incredibly overpowered in the low levels, you're properly scaled, which makes leveling an actual experience in the game.. It feels fun and rewarding.

This list goes on too. Personally I think BC was the prime of wow, where they had the right amount of every thing for every one, and the game just felt great.
    Last edited by Christonya; 2017-01-08 at 11:27 PM.