Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Universities warned over 'snowflake' student demands

Universities will be forced to pander to the demands of "snowflake" students if controversial changes to the ranking system are approved, education leaders have warned.

The Government faces a cross-party revolt in the Lords this week over proposed reforms to higher education, which include placing student satisfaction at the heart of a new ranking system.

It is feared that this will lead to a "fantastically dangerous" culture where authorities will give in to student demands, however unreasonable they may be.

"Safe space" and "no platform" movements have swept across campuses including a campaign to ban Germaine Greer from giving a speech over her "offensive" comments.

Baroness Wolf, a professor at King’s College London (KCL), warned: “Universities are increasingly nervous about doing anything that will create overt dissatisfaction among students because they are being told that student satisfaction is key.

“It has had a real effect on the willingness of universities to stand up to student demands which in the past have been removing statues, safe spaces and no-platforming. This whole movement is a direct threat to academic standards and the ability of universities to stand up for freedom of speech.”

She added: “The student satisfaction measure is fantastically dangerous. The way to make students happy is not asking them to do any work and giving them a high grade.
    "This whole movement is a direct threat to academic standards and the ability of universities to stand up for freedom of speech"Baroness Wolf, a professor at King’s College London

“This will reduce standards and undermine quality. I just think this is totally mad, and destructive of everything universities stand for.”

Professor Julia Black, interim director at London School of Economics, Baroness Wolf, Baroness Deech, a former senior proctor at Oxford University, and Gill Evans, an emeritus professor at Cambridge University told The Telegraph of their concerns.

The Higher Education and Research Bill, championed by Universities Minister Jo Johnson, will reach committee stage in the Lords on Monday, where is expected to be subject to a barrage of criticism.

Sir Keith Burnett, Vice Chancellor of the University of Sheffield told The Sunday Telegraph: “It is clear that members of the House of Lords are deeply concerned about the long term future and sustainability of universities, and this is true across parties.”

The bill outlines the proposed Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), where universities will be awarded gold, silver or bronze medals on the basis of a range of factors including student satisfaction, teaching excellence and preparation for the world of work. Universities are currently ranked based on quality of research output.

Gill Evans, emeritus professor of Medieval Theology at Cambridge University, said the new criterion will lead to an attitude among university authorities of “bother the kids but we had better give in as we stand to suffer more for fighting it out”. It will lead to a feeling of “if in doubt, give in”, she added.

Baroness Deech, a cross-bench peer who formerly held the highest office dealing with student complaints, has tabled two amendments to the bill dealing with free speech, which she said are “integral to academic freedom”.

“One is requiring universities to protect freedom of speech within the law, so that lecturers on unpopular subjects are not shut down, so that "safe space" and "trigger warnings" do not impede scholarship,” she told The Telegraph.

“The other amendment requires universities to take steps to stop illegal speech, for example invited extremist speakers calling for discrimination and worse against gays, women and Jews, or inciting terrorist activity.” She said that while provisions for both already exist in the law, they are “widely flouted”.

Professor Julia Black said that the National Student Survey, the basis on which the student satisfaction will be measured, should be treated with caution.

“You should always engage with students, but their experiences change the whole time,” she said. “Universities do have to challenge students and students may find that to be an uncomfortable process. It is beholden on universities to make sure students feel supported through that challenge.”

Vice chancellors have been accused by senior academics of being “needlessly spineless” in their opposition to the bill. In order to raise tuition fees in line with inflation and recruit international students, they must sign up to the proposed teaching excellence framework (TEF).

One Vice Chancellor told the Sunday Telegraph that in terms of opposing the bill, this “leaves universities between a rock and a hard place”.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...udent-demands/

Great time to be a student eh>?

Deleted
    And this is news to nobody. Anyone could see miles away how this bullshit could/would affect academia.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So if schools have to pander to consumer demands at the expense of their integrity,,

Why not privatize?

I'd argue that in terms of demanding a high quality education as a product, or accommodation then students have the right to do so. This is a paid service and customer satisfaction has to be central to any business, which is what UK higher education is. At the same time, they need to avoid these snowflake demands which frankly alienate the masses and endanger future business. If anything University boards should be highly opposed to these highly popularised 'social' demands in order to ensure they can provide the highest quality product/education.

UK University Graduate BA Hons, here. Didn't actually see much safe space nonsense though when at Staffordshire university. Then again maybe by doing Geography I dodge all the social nonsense.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have to say that I didn't realize the "safe space" culture was really more than a few small instances that got lots of media attention. Is this sort of thing really that prevalent in colleges today? If so, how do they expect to go into the work force after school? College was a place to expand your experiences. Not to hide from others. This just seems like a really bad idea. Are there any here who've seen this kind of thing happening at your own universities?

7+ Year Old Account
    Seems to me like the students' parents are the actual "customers" and that the colleges should be doing what they're paid to do, teach. Coddling is the core component in creating horrible people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Seems to me like the students' parents are the actual "customers" and that they should be doing what they're paid to do, teach. Coddling is the core component in creating horrible people.
    That's incredibly silly. Many people take out loans to go to university.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Seems to me like the students' parents are the actual "customers" and that the colleges should be doing what they're paid to do, teach. Coddling is the core component in creating horrible people.
    How the fuck you work that out? My dad didn't pay for my uni, I took on a job and took the debt to my name, and I'll be the one that pays it off.

Making the focus student satisfaction and taking it to this extreme is basically putting the students in charge of the school. I cannot see that ending well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    How the fuck you work that out? My dad didn't pay for my uni, I took on a job and took the debt to my name, and I'll be the one that pays it off.
    But you're swedish. Doesn't that work like Denmark?

These little brats will soon be sad that their expensive degree is now worth less than the paper it's printed on because of their universities feels based education
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    These little brats will soon be sad that their expensive degree is now worth less than the paper it's printed on because of their universities feels based education
    I heard that argument a lot from people who forgo an education to work in fort mc murray. Turns out that was the wrong choice for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Great time to be a student eh>?
    Personally when I was a student I liked to learn, not feel like I'm in a bubble.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I heard that argument a lot from people who forgo an education to work in fort mc murray. Turns out that was the wrong choice for many.
    That's nice.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Good for you? Many students go to college on their parents' dime. Regardless, students' need to feel "special" is irrelevant. The university it paid to educate them. Not coddle them, make them feel "special" or anything else.

1968, students protesting something, barricaded themselves in Columbia University buildings in Chicago. This went on for some time, finally the police where sent in who used clubs to beat the students into submission.

Todays youth just don't measure up.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    But you're swedish. Doesn't that work like Denmark?
    I went to university in England, in Sweden it be free yeah.

Do this people not realize the tides have turned against them?

At this rate all they are doing is deciding what tools will be used to oppress their ideals. Its like watching a snake eat its own tail. I know stem students are rare among them but a few of those art majors must have taken history...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

1968, students protesting something, barricaded themselves in Columbia University buildings in Chicago. This went on for some time, finally the police where sent in who used clubs to beat the students into submission.

Todays youth just don't measure up.
    Beating youth into submission? Lol! We're not savages.