Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    The game is getting harder but some rotations in tbc were just atrocious. I wouldnt like to go back to that lol

But i would welcome some ease with raiding mechanics and very demanding rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    John fucking Madden!
    Cata actually made it easier than it was. 3.3.3 increased the duration of the mangle debuff from 12 sec to 1 min, so you didn't need to spam it as often. Pre-3.3 was the epitome of JFM.

And some moves that are core now, like rake. If you had rake on your bars in BC it was bad. They had to increase the attack power formula by like 30x in Wrath to make the move not a waste of energy.

Destro warlocks were the best spec. Most of them only had to spam Shadowbolt all day but: one of them had to press another button now and then to keep the curse debuff up. Only the most skilled warlock in the raid could handle this complexity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    Wha...? Isn't everyone moaning about how classes got pruned and are too simple and easy now? :O
    People complain about pruned utility and support abilities (of which many classes, especially hybrids, had a ton more of back in TBC than we do now), rotations haven't been pruned.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    Have anyone else?
    Remember when your rotation was 4 maybe 5 spells at max?
    I feel boss fights were a tad easier as well, now both aspects got harder.
    I always figured we'd get harder and harder boss fights and not so much rotation complexity.
    Not sure if it's just me growing out of those piano mash games, or having 12 skills rotation is just annoying in general.
    Granted I'm no serious raider, nor PvP beast, just your average Joe enjoying WoW from time to time.
    Ya, timing your steady shots perfectly to start when your auto did so you didn't miss an auto, combined with the rest of your rotation.. Super simple!

Quote Originally Posted by nmityosaurus View Post
    Ya, timing your steady shots perfectly to start when your auto did so you didn't miss an auto, combined with the rest of your rotation.. Super simple!
    It's not like most Hunters used a macro for that or anything, right? Right...?

Quote Originally Posted by pkhs View Post
    Destro warlocks were the best spec. Most of them only had to spam Shadowbolt all day but: one of them had to press another button now and then to keep the curse debuff up. Only the most skilled warlock in the raid could handle this complexity.
    If the warlocks were feeling generous a second one would keep up a second curse for the mages.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I remember people making fun of Kitty rotations for Cata launch:

Now I think most classes are like this
    Feral is even more complicated than that today. TBC feral was actually slightly harder than Cata. But now it's just fucking mean hard.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

I honestly think this kind of mindset is so toxic to this game.

On one hand you say that the class is dull because it was reduced to 4 buttons but when they introduce something more interesting than a cool down- you basically cry about how much you suck at using it.

Not everything about this game is great but I feel like all I basically see on forums here is "I suck and because I suck - this needs to be changed"!

Some people don't seem to understand how people can want more complex characters but less complex rotations at the same time. I'll try to explain it. I'm in that camp, too.

A "rotation" is simply your class playing itself. You use one abilily which unlocks another either by generating resources or procs or increasing the damage or something like that, and then you use that ability that became available, and then that's it. It doesn't matter what the opponent is, where it is, or how many there are. Maybe it matters how much health the enemy has, but that's about it.

That's WoW today. In vanilla and tBC you could pretty much spam Fireball for the entire evening and it'd be top DPS, but then you actually couldn't. Sometimes the game required more efficiency so you couldn't spend that much mana. You had to watch your aggro table and slow down at times. Sometimes you had to move but damage was important right then, so you weave in some Scorches.

Rotations back then were at most 5 buttons, and all the rest of it were utilities and AoE. You had different AoE's depending on where your enemies were and different DoT's depending on how long they would live. If you just spammed stuff endlessly, you'd just die.

Additionally, interrupts and CC cost GCD's and your primary resource, and you had to use them to survive the encounter. For example, it might be beneficial for the raid for a mage to dispel his own curse because healers would run OOM doing it.

This style also translated very well into PvP in tBC (vanilla's scaling was too ruined and some classes were too rough). Because the PvE game was designed around efficiency vs the ease of getting something off or damage output, with CC costing the resource you needed to kill, you didn't tend to get stunlocked in PvP even though you might get stunned more than today, but you could still die reasonably fast, and classes would do these build-ups.

Even the healers had to choose between damage and healing and CC. Is that very interesting in a PvE setting? Probably not, but healers are gonna spam-heal 99% of the time in PvE anyway, and they still do despite damage being free, so whatever.

tBC had so many spells that you couldn't use constantly even though they had no cooldown just because of their cost, and it had vastly different rotations based on where you were in a fight and what the fight was doing, as opposed to now where it's about what your own class does first and foremost. I'd like that back.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Yeah, it took me forever just to get to level 50 on my DK back in TBC.
    FYI,

Dks came out in Wrath, and they started at lvl 55, and you couldnt even leave the starting zone till roughly 57/58.

so either you couldnt get past the starting zone, hence the no lvls, or got stuck at your character name, trying to make something retarded for it like:

Arthoose, Arthis, Arthus etc...
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

i miss MoP class design.

Member Sunwell?

Having a four button rotation isn't the same as wanting more pruning. I for one want my decurse, amplify magic etc. Back as it brought flavour to the class. Heck, I even miss casting AI to buff people. The pruning they have done has increased complexity of the rotations and taken away all class flavour. I don't mind the rotations we have today, but I know alot of people who would otherwise raid has stopped raiding because of the effect doing a few mistakes does on the meters making them look garbage when infact they were not garbage as late as HFC.

As a fire mage, I frickin love our new playstyle, but I know alot of people who doesn't.

If they could drop this awful talent swap system, I would have like nothing to complain about. 500g to swap talents as a fire mage or having to be summoned after virtually every boss fight? Now thats total BS....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    FYI,

Dks came out in Wrath, and they started at lvl 55, and you couldnt even leave the starting zone till roughly 57/58.

so either you couldnt get past the starting zone, hence the no lvls, or got stuck at your character name, trying to make something retarded for it like:

Arthoose, Arthis, Arthus etc...
    Yeah man, we were having some sarcastic fun back there..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by Toroc View Post
    I honestly think this kind of mindset is so toxic to this game.

On one hand you say that the class is dull because it was reduced to 4 buttons but when they introduce something more interesting than a cool down- you basically cry about how much you suck at using it.

Not everything about this game is great but I feel like all I basically see on forums here is "I suck and because I suck - this needs to be changed"!
    Tbh all I can see is you being toxic AF

I know some of today's hardcores that love mashing buttons faster than an arcade game won't get it, but Blizzard has actually driven off some players with the high speed rotations for DPS and overall "gogogogo" mentality.

Back in the vanilla/BC era, I had a friend that was a bit older in his 50s that played, and while he didn't have quick reactions, he understood encounter mechanics well and raided high end for years in both Everquest and WoW. As rotations began to gain complexity and speed, he was no longer able to keep up his DPS to be competitive in high end raiding and eventually left the game in frustration.

I am trying to think of what changed as a fire mage since tbc... I guess I don't have to keep up scorch anymore?

I guess pyroblast and heating up procs is technically more complex...kinda.

Kinda miss icy veins as a cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Feral is even more complicated than that today. TBC feral was actually slightly harder than Cata. But now it's just fucking mean hard.
    Agreed. Feral is probably objectively the most complex rotation in the game.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbull View Post
    Simplicity is great.

Spamming one button over and over is not.
    Yep. TBC Warlocks in BT / Hyjal. 1 button spam. Shadowbolt. Even applying a single dot was considered a dps loss.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

15+ Year Old Account
    Shadow priest "rotation" had been considered complex back in BC. It was 2 short CDs while keeping up 2 dots, filler between all these. 5 spells. Usually there was nothing to multidot in raids. Only "difficulty" was not killing yourself with SWD.