10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    The need to communicate in order to succeed is at least one very, very large factor. Today in the WoW of accessibility, other players are more often than not a hindrance. No need to group up for anything in the world other than world bosses, no need to communicate in any group content unless it's high level m+ or Heroic raid. People that only run dungeons and LFR find themselves in a quiet "community" that only communicates when someones makes a mistake, making it toxic, unforgiving and excluding.

One of the results of all this accessibility (read: lack of challenging content outside of organized raids) is that it's harder to form friendships with players. I have little doubt a lot of people can relate to that, they've made less and less new friends the older the game got. I still have people on my friendslist from the times we were fighting through something as 'trivial' as Shattered Halls heroic. Because you couldn't just zerg it. Dungeons wasn't a mere side-thing you pressed a button and then got teleported to, put together with 4 randoms you'll never see again.

But sure, on paper all this accessibility is positive, larger portions of people do "high end" content, less time is wasted on doing "things you don't want" like looking for groups in chat, traveling to the dungeon, getting keys or attunements. It's just "now now now" coupled with low difficulty. It kills the enjoyment but most people can't figure out WHY.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And you honestly believe that the sole reason WoW lost subs is because you think the game quality dropped? Really? You honestly can't be that dishonest. You're dismissing all other possibilities, like more competition in the gaming market and players' interests changing, because... it supports your narrative, I guess.

You're not even comparing WoW to other games, which would make your attempt at argumentation slightly less nonsensical, but you're not. You're comparing it to a version of the game that is 12+ years old. WoW today is objectively better than before: better graphics, better game mechanics, less bugs, better accessibility, better balance, more classes, more races, more variety, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I was half-way writing a point-per-point reply to your post, when I realized that your post is made solely of grossly exaggerations in all of its points, with none of it being true. Communities still exist. So do casual raiding guilds. CRZ didn't 'destroy servers' (I still want to know how people can even think that), and Mythic+ dungeons did not kill pve guilds.

If "communities" died, it's because they killed themselves, not because of any of Blizzard's actions.
    time to let it go man, youre getting stretched pretty thin

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    time to let it go man, youre getting stretched pretty thin
    He's been able to drone mindlessly by copy-pasting the exact same bullshit for 2000 pages in the megathread, I don't think he's gonna break anytime soon.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirra View Post
    Its only someone's tastes that make vanilla better or worse. Pick any plus of vanilla or retail and there is a lot of players who consider that a minus instead. There is nothing in which vanilla is objectively worse and nothing in which it is objectively better. Every feature, every aspect, every asset is both loved and hated by anyone. I personally love retail and I will never touch vanilla without serious upgrades. That doesn't mean I hate vanilla. It's just not for me... I'd miss all those little things like flying, collections, achievments, LFR/LFG,etc...
    Yeah. Mostly in my opinion new expansions are just making classes too similar with each other, removing all cool abilities what they previously had. In vanilla (shamans/paladins) etc....

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    Have you considered the possibility of being shortshighted regarding this and that maybe those comunities died because there was/is little to no incentive for them to flourish? I mean, instead of whiteknighting constantly for blizzard, considering that maybe there's more to it and that maybe, just maybe they are indeed guilty because of changes to the game design, that led the game into a direction where, sure you can have guilds and communitys here and there, but there is next to no need at all for them to exist since you can almost do everything in single player mode.
    It's not about being short-sighted. If the communities were indeed strong, as people claim, they wouldn't have, as the same people put it, "died" just because new tools were implemented to help people get groups faster. If they indeed "died", that probably means whatever kept those communities together was just the need to find groups faster... which LFD solved. Communities don't "die" easily unless what kept them together in the first place was already fragile and weak to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    He's been able to drone mindlessly by copy-pasting the exact same bullshit for 2000 pages in the megathread, I don't think he's gonna break anytime soon.
    Well, what can I say. Some people are just resistant against facts, so facts gotta be repeated to them in an attempt to get them to finally see reality.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2017-01-11 at 02:07 PM.

its like watching a dog lick itself to the point of injury

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    Tbh that's how its supposed to be no? Last tier end bosses are harder than new tier first bosses "normally". One thing to take into consideration was that raids were also longer in that era, how long don't you have a raid with as many bosses like BT or ICC? I consider normal in this design that the first bosses feel breezy to kill.
    There weren't just a bit easier though, they were miles easier. My guild for instance had the first 3 Bosses of MH and BT on farm before we even bothered trying Vashj and Kael, by the time we stopped raiding we were half way through t6 and still hadn't killed vashj/Kael.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Well, what can I say. Some people are just resistant against facts, so facts gotta be repeated to them in an attempt to get them to finally see reality.
    Just like Kyanon, you're a walking pillar of unwitting irony. The universe must really have some wicked sense of humour.

- - - Updated - - -

At least dogs might do it through genuine simple-mindedness. I don't think they have in them the ability of being so purposedly stupid with such willpower and for so long.

Just like Kyanon, you're a walking pillar of unwitting irony. The universe must really have some wicked sense of humour.

At least dogs might do it through genuine simple-mindedness. I don't think they have in them the ability of being so purposedly stupid with such willpower and for so long.
    And here we see two perfect examples of what happens when some people run out of arguments: they resort to ad-hominem, insulting the intelligence and/or character of people with opposing views.

Not being as mindlessly obtuse as to be able to spam the same shit for literally thousands of posts straight doesn't mean running out of arguments. It merely means running out of patience.

I'll freely admit you're more stubborn than me. Gratz.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    There weren't just a bit easier though, they were miles easier. My guild for instance had the first 3 Bosses of MH and BT on farm before we even bothered trying Vashj and Kael, by the time we stopped raiding we were half way through t6 and still hadn't killed vashj/Kael.
    That's your experience, and it's fine, that certainly happened with many others. I had T5 already cleared, and having the first few bosses of the new tier being reletively acessible felt normal as dificulty increased as you progressed further into the dungeon. And this is my point above all. Having a raid or a tier, with a decent amount of bosses, where you start rather easily and dificulty goes inscreasing as you move along has to be considered good game design.

- Community
    - Everything was new, imagine the feeling people have with the new expansions for the first week multiplied by 10 and for multiple months

That is all really. The gameplay today is infinitely better than it was back then.

Not being as mindlessly obtuse as to be able to spam the same shit for literally thousands of posts straight doesn't mean running out of arguments. It merely means running out of patience.

I'll freely admit you're more stubborn than me. Gratz.
    Yet, instead of just turning away and letting it go, you decided to drop an insult. Way to take the high road, champ.

Vanilla is very different than the xpacs. (ignoring PVP) The gameplay of ALL xpacs was mainly based around raiding and dungeons/dailies were a secondary addition. In vanilla it was mainly about the adventure => leveling, the whole exploration around it (you had to travel a lot more) and character progression (it felt quite different than it is now, gear was rare, there were few useful spells etc.)

All in all, i play both and they are fun for different things. Sometimes I get bored of retail, then I go and play a vanilla private server, then I get bored of this too and get excited again about Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Love the insults. It is nice to see what you have decided to turn into once you ran out of attempts at an argument in this thread. The fact that you are siding with truckboattruck and his one singular reason why the game lost subs is quite sad.

7+ Year Old Account
    besides nothing?

nothing.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Thats why FF XIV had for a time more active players than Wod. Thats why tons of people go and look for private servers of older expansions.
    At no point has FF XIV ever had more active subs than WoW. You are one of those people that got tricked by creative information that FF released. They gave out the number of people that made an account at one point over the lifetime of the game NOT the active subs they had.

Deleted
    The only part that was better was the community. That is about it. Combat is better and more advance then back then. PVP is more fair, All classes are usefull(to some degree) and you can atleast play any spec to some degree in raids.

7+ Year Old Account
    What made classic wow better than current? Our memories.
    Argus in 2018 My prediction failed in part... But I'm still a Spacegoat

The only thing better in vanilla was community. People were just far nicer. Just look at the players in lfr. If someone gets an item they won't use they refuse to let someone else have it or rage whenever someone asks. That 20-40g is so much more important to them then letting someone have a piece of gear. Or they'll disenchant it even though enchanting mats are falling from the sky. Yes that is their piece of loot and they are entitled to do what they want with it, some just choose to do the most dickish thing they can with it.