Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Russia might ban the sale of cigarettes to people born after 2014

http://time.com/4631213/russia-ban-c...tes-born-2014/

Russia is considering major steps to make sure its citizens do not become smokers.

The Russian Health Ministry this week proposed a ban on selling cigarettes to people born after 2014, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty reports, even after they are 18, which is currently the legal smoking age in the country. That means a full prohibition of cigarettes would not go into effect until 2033.

The proposal is part of a document that details government efforts to curtail smoking in the country. Russia has already banned smoking in restaurants since 2013.

Some experts warn that the ban could give rise to a black market for illegal cigarettes. But the Health Ministry defended its proposal, citing the 300,000 to 400,000 Russian citizens who die from smoking-related diseases each year.

“By 2033, the ban on the sale of tobacco products to people born after 2014 will not seem an extreme measure, but an entirely logical development of events,” Marina Gambaryan, an expert at the Health Ministry, told TASS.
    As much as people complain about Russia, I saw this today and thought that this is a great thing to do. So even with them allowing domestic violence, hatred against gays, sometimes there is a diamond in the rough with idea. It doesn't forgive what they did or want to do, but this is something most people can get behind I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Libertarians will say it's their right to suck on cancer sticks.

I've also seen a debate on these forums that basically say that smokers die earlier which ultimately costs the healthcare system less than someone healthy living forever requiring significant care in their last years.

Personally I think smoking is disgusting and if it vanished entirely I'd be quite pleased. Nothing ruins a morning faster than a face full of cigarette smoke on the way to the train.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Libertarians will say it's their right to suck on cancer sticks.

I've also seen a debate on these forums that basically say that smokers die earlier which ultimately costs the healthcare system less than someone healthy living forever requiring significant care in their last years.

Personally I think smoking is disgusting and if it vanished entirely I'd be quite pleased. Nothing ruins a morning faster than a face full of cigarette smoke on the way to the train.
    I would tell them: " Ok, smoke if you want to. But you can never go to an emergency room or buy health insurance ever again. Deal?"
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Hah!
    Even though I would fully support ban of cigarettes, it will not work. Not in Russia, not elsewhere.

On the one hand progressive, on the other it discriminates and literally splits their nation into two. Does this mean harsher penalties against the sellers or buyers if they break the law? As long as it is allowed to any one section of the society it glamorises it whilst also causing a black market of technically legal products. Not the brightest move on a social level, but perhaps it'll help deal with some of their fertility issues...

I actually like this idea, obv someone clever with stats has duced 2014 is the year which is most ideal to ban cigerettes, then get them out of circulation without to many complaints, e.g. when smokers will be dead and in theory no one after that year should be smoking.

They have already started to ban in some public places, so its going to be progressive to the point where its only allowed in your own home. Also, people born in 2014 will take a long time to get to 18, so slowly it wont seem like a big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    But now how will I relax after a day of newly legalized family beating?
    Become polygamous and spank more wives
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    But now how will I relax after a day of newly legalized family beating?
    Hating on gays is an option too! I heard the police look the other way when you beat them as well!

10+ Year Old Account
    The fear here is that we've seen that banning tend to do the contrary than the intended behavior. You risk seeing a huge black market for cigarettes and people incarcerated for... smoking.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Frankly one of the most consistent things about eastern europe and russia is that everyone seems to smoke - all the time. Not sure if trying to fix that habit will not cause other issues though.. Not seeling them to a certain demographic in 14 years will also only work if they somehow manage to drastically reduce it up until that point. Otherwise it would just be a hard cut and they might as well do it now. I think it won't work though, smokers are among the most rabid addicts and they usually "learn" it at home anyway. Seems more like someone tries to put adressing it off for over a decade than a solid plan.

Deleted
    I agree, they should ban the sale of cigarettes to three years old or younger toddlers.

Making a law that will be in full effect in 2033 is just complete waste of time, besides that divides the country in old smokers and young non-smoker. It's a version of Waterworld, but on icy land.

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    I would tell them: " Ok, smoke if you want to. But you can never go to an emergency room or buy health insurance ever again. Deal?"
    fine you can never have soda fast food red meat fish that has high levels of mercury white bread anything processed you can only sit at your computer for 2 hours a day have to exercise daily and never drink or you don't get to go to the emergency room or get health insurance ever again deal?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    The fear here is that we've seen that banning tend to do the contrary than the intended behavior. You risk seeing a huge black market for cigarettes and people incarcerated for... smoking.
    Pretty much. This is similar to the "Backfire Effect" and the "Streisand Effect" in that trying to effect one thing causes the opposite to happen. Banning doesn't work. Education is honestly the better way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Pretty much. This is similar to the "Backfire Effect" and the "Streisand Effect" in that trying to effect one thing causes the opposite to happen. Banning doesn't work. Education is honestly the better way to go.
    Well... to be fair, the people that this affects are 3 years old or less, so its not like they really know whats going on right now, they will grow up in a scenario where "this has always been the way things are".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    Well... to be fair, the people that this affects are 3 years old or less, so its not like they really know whats going on right now, they will grow up in a scenario where "this has always been the way things are".
    By watching the older people smoking? Kids emulate older kids.

Deleted
    I dont need a goverment to tell me what i can or cant do, aslong as i dont harm other ppl with it.

Ppl think the witch hunt against cigarettes is a good thing, next it will be alcohol then we cant eat meat anymore and after that we cant drive cars anymore or do sports because it can harm you.
    And before you know it we are living in a community like the middle east.

So yeah i dont beleave in banning things just because alot of ppl dont like the habbits of others.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with that mentality is do you apply to all aspects of life? Anyone who lives less than a military lifestyle or is over the age of 40 should be excluded from health insurance then. Men are reckless than women, men are out. Mothers with spotted a history of cancer, heart disease in their family? Out.

Every does stuff that can land them in the ER, that's why we have them.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Prohibition ended well.

Its not like there is a shortage of criminals in Russia. ££££$$$$

Deleted
    Why stop with smokers? will you do the same with fat ppl? or ppl that are doing sports where you can break bones or have injuries?
    Why pull the line with smokers? just because it is the hype of the community to focus on smokers and ignore the fact that fat ppl are actually the biggest health risk in western society is abit wierd in my opinion. Should you not focus on the biggest health risk factor we currently have? but instead we make "Fat acceptance movement" groups just to not offend ppl, but the smokers duh those you can offend.