Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    It is getting to the point that SJW is the idiots boogeyman, blaming everything and anything on SJW because they themselves can't think their way out of a wet paper bag.
    You say its getting to the point as if it hasn't been like that from the jump for a lot of these people.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Because that is limited to Utah...there are no places on the entire Globe that don't have similar cultural ideals?
    I thought were were talking about the US here. I'm sure there are worse places in the world for young girls to be, like around Donald Trump, still the whole child brides up to 2017 thing pushes them wayyyy down on the list of US states.

Like I said, no one should be surprised that this is the kind of shit being shoved down kids throats in Utah. I linked some of their more.... colorful marriage laws earlier in the thread.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Wow a mother gets outraged and makes it national news.

You don't see that more than twice a day!

$5 for a date? Unless you're going to McDonald's to order off the dollar menu, that's not going to get you much.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Well, that's their...'problem' then. People can like what they want to like, that's given, just don't expect everyone to conform to them, not even as 'pointers'.

Respect for other human beings though, that one is a solid pointer, and doesn't try to enforce anything specific to any gender.
    It's your problem I would say. The boys just answered a question to their preference. They aren't trying to change anyone. If you don't like a boy who wants to dates a western-culture-defined feminine girl, then don't date him. The boys aren't making a big deal about this. The mom and the people responding to the boys are. The boys were just making a list of things they found desirable in their dates. Nothing more sinister than that.

Edit: Trigger Warning! I prefer a feminine woman. There, now I'm just as evil as a high school boy. They should know better than to answer questions about their opinions in a place where they can discuss them and have an open dialog.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I thought were were talking about the US here. I'm sure there are worse places in the world for young girls to be, like around Donald Trump, still the whole child brides up to 2017 thing pushes them wayyyy down on the list of US states.

Like I said, no one should be surprised that this is the kind of shit being shoved down kids throats in Utah. I linked some of their more.... colorful marriage laws earlier in the thread.
    I've heard the entire middle east wasn't a great place to be a young girl, as well as many other places in Africa and Asia. I heard it's not bad being a young girl in Antarctica as long as you wear lots of layers to keep warm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    $5 for a date? Unless you're going to McDonald's to order off the dollar menu, that's not going to get you much.
    That's probably the idea, or like going to the park for a picnic, etc. Also keep in mind that's $5 for each person, the paper never says who's going to pay, though both boys and girls seemed to assume the boys would pay and both found it more desirable to pay less attention to the money being spent.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2017-01-14 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    It's your problem I would say. The boys just answered a question to their preference. They aren't trying to change anyone. If you don't like a boy who wants to dates a western-culture-defined feminine girl, then don't date him. The boys aren't making a big deal about this. The mom and the people responding to the boys are. The boys were just making a list of things they found desirable in their dates. Nothing more sinister than that.

Edit: Trigger Warning! I prefer a feminine woman. There, now I'm just as evil as a high school boy. They should know better than to answer questions about their opinions in a place where they can discuss them and have an open dialog.
    I don't care. Didn't call anyone evil. My biggest problem is that this kind of assignment even exists. Forcing people out on dates is ludicrous in the first place, the pointers just makes it hilarious. However, that doesn't make the whole 'plz act feminine' any less dumb, because it should not be requested. Requesting behaviour from people is not anyone's right whatsoever.

Yes, I'm aware that it's just a suggestion, thus it's not worth investing any serious brainpower on, however, I find the kneejerk reactions entertaining enough to participate.

And again; people can like whatever they like, I don't care, just don't request behaviour from people who don't naturally display that kind of behaviour, particularly not on something that could easily be forced. Why forced? Not because they request it as such, requests can be refused, but because it's an assignment.

Assignments are supposed to be succeeded, but this kind of pigeonholing may force some students to automatically fail because they refuse to follow all the pointers that goes against them as people, as is in their right, unless you want to encourage deceitful behaviour.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess the 1950s felt like saying hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    I don't care. Didn't call anyone evil. My biggest problem is that this kind of assignment even exists. Forcing people out on dates is ludicrous in the first place, the pointers just makes it hilarious. However, that doesn't make the whole 'plz act feminine' any less dumb, because it should not be requested. Requesting behaviour from people is not anyone's right whatsoever.

Yes, I'm aware that it's just a suggestion, thus it's not worth investing any serious brainpower on, however, I find the kneejerk reactions entertaining enough to participate.

And again; people can like whatever they like, I don't care, just don't request behaviour from people who don't naturally display that kind of behaviour, particularly not on something that could easily be forced. Why forced? Not because they request it as such, requests can be refused, but because it's an assignment.

Assignments are supposed to be succeeded, but this kind of pigeonholing may force some students to automatically fail because they refuse to follow all the pointers that goes against them as people, as is in their right, unless you want to encourage deceitful behaviour.
    My only problem with it is the actual date as part of the assignment. Would have thought it to be better as an intellectual exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think the preoccupation with teaching to 2-3% of the population instead of 97-98% of the population deserves a roll of the eyes. Not everything applies to every individual all the time - this isn't actually a real problem.
    Gay and bisexual people very likely make up than 2-3% of the population, moreso is it so hard to make something like this gender neutral? Hint, it isn't.

Also your argument boils down to "they're such a small percentage why should be consider them in our teaching?" Which is a terrible place to be in when talking about education.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    the paper says its a list of SUGGESTIONS from the boys on the girls paper, and a list of SUGGESTIONS from the girls on the boys paper. people DO worry about the things on those papers, and they do the things the papers suggest to NOT do. thats why theyre there, as suggestions.
    This needs to be emphasized.

Sweet shit MMOC-OT
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

My only problem with it is the actual date as part of the assignment. Would have thought it to be better as an intellectual exercise.
    Had it just been a theoretical scenario, like what would the individual people's ideal date be like, then there would be no issue at all. Sadly, it was an actual date, which, I agree, is the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard the entire middle east wasn't a great place to be a young girl, as well as many other places in Africa and Asia. I heard it's not bad being a young girl in Antarctica as long as you wear lots of layers to keep warm.
    You've convinced me, those girls should know their place.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

"Don't waste my money". Writing assignment: "you are not allowed to spend more than $5"...dudes in the class are sweating over wasting $5 on a date? These are some broke-ass kids!

Also, "don't expect love and commitment", lol. But she was so impressed with the fact that you let her order whatever she wanted off the McD's dollar menu!

Utah dating homework tells girls: be 'feminine'
    I'd rather they act feminine than masculine.

I sometimes forget that's a real place.

Islam and Conservative America has so much in common, for good or bad. Why the hate?

Let's make a New Years resolution as a forum.

Every time some some SJW in some random corner of the country that nobody's been to and nobody cares about does something super obnoxious, we don't have a 13 page shit storm over the issue.

Seriously, SJW and their anti-PC opponents are equally as annoying, equally as asinine, and equally as worthless to the bulk of the population that isn't pulled to such extremes.

Deleted
    The whole this is offensive to BOTH sexes the guy is expected by the GIRL to pay and never question how much they pay and just shut up AND they need to be parents of the girl they are going out with as well seeing as they are the ones who have the responsibility of getting them home in time both of these expectations are baffeling.

And as its been mentioned a billion times a girl is supose to act a certain way is a fucking joke but at least the girls part did have "relax and be yourself" but oddly it conflicts with EVERYTHING said previously.

Man people in the US seem to be SUPER shallow not only that but man do have alot of "requirements".

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    The mere assumption that without the guide the girl would be worrying about how much money is spent on her or would not mind her manners is misogynistic.
    Nah, it isn't. This is just the pointers of a date. Most people don't need such a guide, but apparently that school is full of savages and gold diggers, so they need to learn how to treat the other gender.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Seriously, SJW and their anti-PC opponents are equally as annoying, equally as asinine, and equally as worthless to the bulk of the population that isn't pulled to such extremes.
    You can use these threads to have fun.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by shonist View Post
    you are seriously saying this???? never mind.
    why yes, yes i am saying that, because apparently you didnt even bother reading what my first post was about. suggestions about how to have a successful date and a suggestion to kill someone are two INCREDIBLY EFFING DIFFERENT THINGS.

why you felt the need to bring up the killing someone suggestion, well only you know that, but it was a pathetic attempt to discredit my post regardless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Gay and bisexual people very likely make up than 2-3% of the population, moreso is it so hard to make something like this gender neutral? Hint, it isn't.

Also your argument boils down to "they're such a small percentage why should be consider them in our teaching?" Which is a terrible place to be in when talking about education.
    There is no need for everything to be gender neutral or for it to cater to people who are not interested in the opposite sex.