Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm so glad to live in a country where being poor does not mean enduring the condescending shit attitude of smug well thinkers

It really says something when you're considered a bleeding heart liberal for thinking we should provide healthcare and food to poor people without shaming them about their condition

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Wow!! This mentality is what really bothers me. If they can save for a better TV, they can afford to pay for their own food much less sodas
    You're missing the point. A 65 inch TV isn't really very expensive these days. You have to be absolutely dirt poor in a 1st world country to not be able to save for any "luxury" items ever. And that's not the case for most people we consider "poor" here. The poverty line is higher than in the 3rd world.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Coffee with no sugar takes what, 30 seconds to make? (just playing devils advocate)
    Id fight for this if the riches hadn't made starbucks such a huge success simply because people don't have the time to make coffee in the morning?

10+ Year Old Account
    You are right, I don't think poor people should have a 65" TV or an iPhone 7.

You people have no concept of what "poor" is in juxtaposition to the rest of the world.
    Many of them already had those things before.

It's not like people are born poor and remain poor. There are people who used to make 6 figures who lost their job and their home, but they still have some of their "luxury" items. On top of that, in our connected technological world, it's harder to find work without things like...a phone...than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I can prove it if I must champ...
    Unless your GF doesn't work, which you really shouldn't (and can't) prove because it violates her privacy, whatever proof you have of your earnings is irrelevant. That said, I don't make much money either and I'd never not sell a television. Why would I bother owning a TV when a 100 dollar laptop is more effective at delivering entertainment?

Quote Originally Posted by Raskayz View Post
    I'm so glad to live in a country where being poor does not mean enduring the condescending shit attitude of smug well thinkers
    I know, right? They love to tell poor how to live, but refuse to create a job for them so they can live...

If I suggest they should be taking money management classes, that is deemed inhumane too.

Apparently criticizing people who are "poor" is just taboo and a discussion that is not allowed to happen.
    Not taboo or anything, just base on reality and the overall situation and not political rhetoric or anecdotes and extremes that ignores the reality of the situation.

You money management class for instance fails to address the problems as it does nothing to fix the issues of their wages and such, especially considering that 80% of all foodstamp recipients are working and the issue isn't them on food stamps but a case of their employer refusing to pay living wages and giving them wages so low they even qualify or have to use them to begin with.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No you just want to control what poor people can and can't have...
    Again, in comparison to the rest of the world, millions of people in third world countries would love to come into a system involving anything I've suggested.

Honestly, they would probably look at you and your argument and think "wtf is wrong with this guy".

Fine whatever, just find out who is doing it and ban them from ever collecting SSI due to obesity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take what you will from the article I suppose.
    My main concern with this is, that there's a need for food stamps in the first place. Considering a country that claims to be one of the riches.

And from a mental perspective, maybe that need that extra to cover the dreaded truth of how their lives are?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Unless your GF doesn't work, which you really shouldn't (and can't) prove because it violates her privacy, whatever proof you have of your earnings is irrelevant. That said, I don't make much money either and I'd never not sell a television. Why would I bother owning a TV when a 100 dollar laptop is more effective at delivering entertainment?
    No what I ment is I can prove my earning's and prove I know what its like to be poor. I only been living with her one year, I been on disability most of my life.

A 100 dollar laptop for you is much effective at delivering entertainment that can't be said for everyone else.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    The car was brought up because the person I'm quoting told me to sell off my paid for truck. Exactly what does one hope to make by selling a television? $300 tops out of the box for a 65 inch (Cheapest on BestBuy.Com are $700) and swap that out for $300 42" model....a net gain of nothing ? Unless you're suggesting the person go all the way to the bare minimum of $80 24" model...where they've saved a whole $220. Woo...Hoo.
    Honestly, I'd forego the television at all, pick up a cheap laptop, and bank the rest. Use free wi-fi to watch netflix using a friend's account.

I have no issue with people getting assistance. But I can tell you almost everyday I see people using their cards to purchase cigarettes or they withdrawl cash off it an buy lottery tickets with it. The best was a girl in front of me with a brand new iphone 6+ when then had just come out, $500 sneakers a coach bag an whips out her benefits card to pay for her steak an lobster even the girl working there looked at her like are you fucking serious.

Again, in comparison to the rest of the world, millions of people in third world countries would love to come into a system involving anything I've suggested.

Honestly, they would probably look at you and your argument and think "wtf is wrong with this guy".
    Then go move to those country's and tell them how to live.

last checked this is suppose to be the land of the free.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

How about this suggestion:

Increase the amount of money food benefits grants, but at the same time restrict the type of food that can be purchased.

Would that be fair if we address more healthy food being expensive?

Is that still considered inhumane?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The poor are evil!!! The poor cause all your problems, so vote for the economic liberals/right wing parties, they'll solve that dirty poor people problem.

My wife and I had to be on food stamps for a few months due to financials. We got off them after we got things straightened out. But I always felt bad when I bought food that was a luxury item. I went out of my way to not get those items.

Quote Originally Posted by ugotownd View Post
    But I can tell you almost everyday I see people using their cards to purchase cigarettes or they withdrawl cash off it an buy lottery tickets with it.
    Sorry but this is bullshit. You can NOT use SAP for foodstamps or lottery tickets. Now they could have cash on the same card/account, That is possible but it isn't SAP. But you CAN NOT use SAP on those items.

Thanks for showing you don't know what you are talking about.

How about this suggestion:

Increase the amount of money food benefits grants, but at the same time restrict the type of food that can be purchased.

Would that be fair if we address more healthy food being expensive?

Is that still considered inhumane?
    Tell their employers to pay them enough to not need food stamps and you won't have to worry about paying them food stamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    The poor are evil!!!
    No one said that.